• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Canvas tarp material?

Metal Head

NAXJA Forum User
I remember back in the day when you bought a tarp it was made of canvas but man are they outrageously priced now! I ditched my trailer idea and have now began plans on a DIY roof tent. I can built it relatively cheap but the main thing I can't really find is a large piece of canvas for the waterproof shell. I thought about hitting a few army surplus stores maybe finding a couple army tents to cut up and use or maybe an old canvas military vehicle cover.

The tent is just gonna be big enough for me and the wifey and I'm going to use a 4'x6' piece of plywood for the base. Add 2x4's around the edge to attach the material to and an internal structure that folds down internally(something light like electrical conduit) is gonna be used for the structure in which the material will stretch around to make it rigid.

Any other thoughts on what I might be able to use for material to keep the rain off?

Sounds like you've got about the best bet - crawling MILSURP stores for old canvas tarps.

(I know what you mean. I've got an old WWII-issue cotton canvas duffel I've had for years that I'll probably never get rid of. My backpack from fourth grade forward was originally my spare Scouts haversack - cotton canvas. Everyone else bought a new back every damned year, but mine carried me through school and my first stint in college...)

Since you're going to have to sew anyhow, you might want to also consider checking out craft stores. You can wax or oil cotton (I think you boil it in linseed oil to impregnate it, but that can be looked up easily...) and you can find medium- to heavy-weight cotton duck fabric at many craft stores. Costs a bit less than actual proper canvas, just make sure to bind the edges really well!

Other options:
- Got a marine handy? Look to buy a couple of old sails, since they're usually canvas. They can also usually sew it however you want it, just draw it.

- Find an old parachute. MILSURP stores can be good for this, as well as airports that cater to sport jumpers (find the Rigger's Loft.) Riggers are even better at sewing than sailmakers as well... It's Nylon - so it will be lightweight (and can probably be waterproofed in a similar manner to cotton.)

Might give Sharp's Tarps Ltd. a call, they make tarps for trucking and we have had a number of custom trailer tarps made--they are TOUGH and WATERPROOF.

http://www.sharpstarps.com/locations

Back