• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can't find a select track XJ!!!!

it is the same T/case (np 242) from 87 to at least 99.. not sure if the later XJs had any changes like several other systems did.. the only difference in the range of years is that the input spline-count changes somewhere along the line.. so they are not infinatley universal.. but close..

My 98 XJ Limited has the 242. So did my 89 Pioneer. Look for the fully optioned Limiteds and you should find the 242. My 89 didn't have anything power but had the 242, guess it was a special order.

I would hold out and keep looking. I really like the 242 and think it is worth searching for.

my 2000 has the selec-trac transfer case, and the odd thing is that i wasnt looking for an XJ with the 242 in it, i didnt matter to me, and i just kinda stumbled across it. Im glad i have it now, i think its worth searching and waiting for.

On a side note, i love how when i was shopping for the XJ, the dealers would always tell me that the XJ's they had were equipped with V6 engines, which suprised me as i was sure the 4.0 was an I6. Hmmm

Lagooz00xj said:
my 2000 has the selec-trac transfer case, and the odd thing is that i wasnt looking for an XJ with the 242 in it, i didnt matter to me, and i just kinda stumbled across it. Im glad i have it now, i think its worth searching and waiting for.

On a side note, i love how when i was shopping for the XJ, the dealers would always tell me that the XJ's they had were equipped with V6 engines, which suprised me as i was sure the 4.0 was an I6. Hmmm

I see the V6 and 3 speed auto tran all the time. It is amazing how little the dealer sales people know sometimes.

I agree. When I bought my '99 back in '02, I was not looking for the selec-trac, but I love it! and think it is worth the search as well. I espcially love to shift in the full-time when I am running 70 on the interstate and the clouds let loose a terrrible fury of H2O

If it hasn't been addressed before, the 242 does have an advantage over the 231 in that it offers "full time" 4x4...meaning it can be used without fear of damage on dry roads....wet roads, or roads with fair traction. The 242 also has a "part time" 4x4 mode that is identical to the 4x4 mode of the 231. In both units, low range is a "part time" 4x4 mode (don't do it on dry pavement).

My Dad's first Cherokee had the Selec-Trac, which we bought by accident (didn't know it had one available) and every Cherokee we've bought after that has hed them. When I bought my '98 Limited I e-mailed the dealer to ask them if the Cherokees they had were Selec-Trac equiped (knowing the 242 designation would confuse them even more) and was sent an e-mail saying no. Went down and looked anyway and the two Limited on the lot had them. I found the best way to tell is to just go and look in the driver side window for the 242 specific selecter plate (anybody have a pic of one they can post?), it'll get you farther than actually talking to a salesman, and will help reduce the chance of smoking off any more of his limited intelegence. It's kinda of funny, when I've looked I actually had one dealer ship try to sell me a Durango (Dodge Dealer, no XJ's on the lot and they'd just taken in a later model ZJ) when I went to go look for a XJ of ZJ in early '03, and when my sister went looking in '01 for an XJ she had a salesman tell her that she shouldn't be so picky when it came to the transfer case for her price range!!! (around $5000), and that was at a Chrysler/Jeep dealer.

Back