• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't decide on steering upgrade

The point is, you already need to upgrade the box and pump to run a ram.

The ram is an extra expense, that's purpose is for steering in rough wheeling. A mildly wheeled rig on 35"s will be fine with the right pump/box combo.

If you want to add a ram in there, go right ahead, but adding one to a stock box/pump setup is foolish.

Meh. I already had a YJ box that I bought off a friend that tapped it for assist. My frame had cracked/been plated twice, so obviously a stronger box wasn't going to help.

I put on a PS cooler and the 6" throw PSC ram with an unmodified pump and stock reservoir. Worked fine, even on the street. Never got to test it in the rocks unfortunately, sold it a few months back.

I think the only way my D30 could have been more built was if I had the WJ knuckle/brake setup or maybe warn hubs.

Is that the colored pulley with some kind of built in fan they sell? Did it make a difference?

I had PS fade bad after 35s. I added a cooler, flushed with synthetic fluid and added the gen right pulley with the main benifet being it overdrives the pump a bit at lower rpms when you needed it. Haven't had any issues since, I think it was well worth the 90$ or so.

first thing is a cooler.

second thing is a large bore box. you will save yourself a million headaches by just getting a box from PSC and a pump from them. it will perform and everything will fit the first time.

you only need a ram if you wheel where you are putting a lot of force on the steering system. the point of a ram is not to give you more steering power, but to remove some of the steering forces from the frame area.

if you have limited money to spend, upgrade the pump and box and run a cooler. the OEM pump/box will not be able to keep up with a ram regardless.

Does PSC have a box, pump, hose, bundle kit?

Back