• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can anyone beat 280,000 miles?

Wish I had kept it to refer to, but saw a Cherokee for sale on e-bay 6-or-so months ago that had 900,000+ on it...

Not a Jeep eather,but my Plymouth mini van had 260,000 when I traded in on the XJ leaked a quart of oil about every 3,000. Got 180,000 out of the 4 speed transaxle before the torque converter went. Just a bit of rust below the gas filler, and no other problems. Did put a fuel pump on it. Altanator, and water pump too, but I conceder those normal where & tear items.

i need to get driving i have 140,000 on my 90 xj original everything

Got 192,000 on my 95. Only motor work was waterpump & T-stat. Also got to mention about 10,00 miles ago when the t-stat went i drove it 20 miles home with the temp needle maxed out and all it killed was the waterpump wich was going anyways.

Low mileage champs: My 88 Chevy pickup has about 35K original on it. It will rust out long before it wears out. It's a thirsty pig. I only use it for plowing, boat hauling and things that the XJ or the Merc. cannot do.

When I was a kid, my dad bought a brand new 58 CJ5, which I later inherited, briefly. When I sold it, I think it was up to 11 thousand miles. Once again, mostly plowing and woods work. Aside from being miserably uncomfortable, cold, dangerous and drafty, itwas no economy car either. Although it had that little 4-banger, with its short-geared 3-speed, it rarely got above 12 mpg even with Warn hubs on it. I loved it anyway, but by the time I sold it in 1974, the frame was full of holes and the tranny was about to fall out, and it needed a valve job!

My '88 4door has a little over 324k on the clock when I bought it a couple of weeks ago. Since the engine was leaking oil all over the place I pulled it and give it a little displacement enhancement.

XJXJ said:
About 17k miles behind the OP but I know my cylinder head has never been off. IMO that's important if we're gonna wave our mileage dicks around.

High mileage with no cylinder/head work is a beautiful thing...

He wrote "mileage dicks"! LMAO

second owner of an 01 XJ with just now 28K on the clock

do I win a prize?

about 1K or so are mine, and it smelled new until I threw the 32" spare in the back, now it smells like a condom factory....

My 91 xj, 4.0, AW4, 242 just went over 220k with no internal work and the original drivetrain. Get this, my wife got truely pissed off at me because I had to pull off the road and put it into 4wd and drive in the desert until it went over 200k. And then I patted it on the dash and said thanks. She was pissed because she said I love my jeep better than her! Women!!!!!!!!!!
As a side note, I was driving through Baltimore of all places when it went over 100k. I pulled over into the dirt on the side of I-95 and 4-wheeled it over 100k. Weird huh.

My 1990 XJ Pioneer 4.0/5spd& command-trac will hit 182k later today.

Back in 1991 a relative of mine bought a Towncar brand new and it had 680k on it when it sold! The original motor(with no valve work) outlived 2 paintjobs and 3 transmissions, he took it to a Ford Dealer to get the fuel pump changed and the dude gasped at the mileage and asked if it was original or not and he told him it was so he hooked him up with this guy at the Ford Plant and they bought it back for 20k so they could do 'testing' on it(probably so they won't make any more that last that long) and he took that and went out and bought a Crown Vic, crazy as it sounds it's true.

How many people with XJs that have over 200,000miles use synthetic motor oil in their engines?

Have some of you managed those high miles on regular petroleum based motor oil?

MAP

MAP said:
How many people with XJs that have over 200,000miles use synthetic motor oil in their engines?

Have some of you managed those high miles on regular petroleum based motor oil?

MAP

No synthetic oil here. 262k miles all original engine/transmission internals. However, 'never had a Fram filter on it that I know about since purchase with about 83k.

No fancy sissified synthetic oil in my rig. 220k and all original. I used to use them darned Fram filters but I saw the light and just use Pure One filters now.

91, 4.0HO AW4 231. 284,115.2 miles as of today. I use synthetic oil. I beat the piss out of the poor thing. Daily driver, wheeled frequently.

How about # of miles for all the cars in your stable?

91 Cherokee Sport (4.0): 178k
97 Grand Cherokee (4.0): 130k
89 full-size Bronco (5.0): 190k

Jeeps can sometimes be a hassle, but over all they do last a long time. I sold my 87 Grand Wagoneer (5.8) with 175k on the clock and my 95 Wrangler (2.5) with 128k. Also, I briefly owned a 77 Grand Wagoneer (5.8) that was deep in the 200ks.

None of these ever had the heads off of required any serious work, just regular maintenance.

'89 XJ "Wagoneer Limited" with 240,000+ miles. Still untouched engine and transmission (including transfer case). Last 30,000 or so on a Skyjacker 3" lift. Used no synthetics...just good 'ole routine maintenance. I figure for the money I'd have to sink into a YJ Rubicon Unlimited...I can still do a lot with her.

Back