• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cagey Happenings at URF

ashmanjeepxj said:
I know your not done, neither am I (no triangulation yet), but mine will have LOADS of trangles, x-s, and gussets when done.

1.5 x .120" tube weighs 1.769 lb./ft. Every bit of tube you add encourages the rollover you are trying to avoid. I'm using 095 wall tube in strategic locations for just this reason.

Every design is a compromise. I fully understand that. I am planning for a family, and this design is built with that, as well as my other interests in mind. It is primarily a cage designed under a theory of the existing chassis acting upon a ladder structure that is very stiff by its nature.

Are there better designs out there from a full rock-racing perspective? Absolutely. I would have lost the roof halo entirely, moved all the tubes inside, and triangulated the piss out of it. Where would that leave me when wifey needed to get to a little munchkin in the back seat?

The biggest problem I have seen in cage design is the tendency to create a jungle gym of tube that only adds marginal amounts of chassis stiffness and rigidity. Super rigidity is great for a strictly rock raced rig, it helps it live longer. Add too much, and the rig becomes a danger on the highway to it's occupants, as the shock loading is transferred directly to the passengers, with no chassis give whatever.

I seek a balance of chassis stiffness, increased occupant safety, and occupant convenience. This balance is not the same for everyone, and in fact, I'm sure it varies widely among users of this BBS. Time will tell if URF 001 achieves this balance for my family's interests.

Andy

Crash, the cage and rock rail stuff all looks great! I have had a number of these ideas in my head for a long time. One change I would make is to move the A pillar brace to the outside like Richard did and get rid of the internal one. It's probably a bit less strong, but gives much more clearance for entry and exit and will protect the body along the windshield. JMHO. Now for a couple questions. How did you weld the tubing to the frame tie in parts? Doesn't seem like there would be room to get a welder in there. Maybe you held everything in place, tacked the tubing, then lowered the tubing back through the hole in the floor to fully weld the joint and then push it back up into place to weld the support piece to the frame? Also, what are you using to support the Jeep? I see some triangle pieces that appear to be on casters, but I don't see what is keeping them from falling over. Also, what is your shop like? I am thinking of putting up a new building on my property and have been reading posts on PBB about shops. THanks for any input. Jeff

One more question: What are you using for a bender? How is it mounted? Is it hydraulic or manual? Anything you would do different? Ok, a few more questions then. :) Jeff

CRASH or should I be asking Lupine?

Kickercloseup.jpg

What's with all the splatter? :D

hinkley

Maybe you held everything in place, tacked the tubing, then lowered the tubing back through the hole in the floor to fully weld the joint and then push it back up into place to weld the support piece to the frame?

Bingo. Tacked in place, then lowered back down and welded. This pic is of the B-pillar lowered dback down for welding.

Kicker1.jpg

Shop is WAY to small, just a 2 car garage. Bender is a JD-2, manually operated. The supports are 1.5" x .188 wall box with a big hinking piece of C-channel welded to the top. The casters are welded to the bottom.

I'm building a shop in my next house, and it's not going to be any smaller than 900 sqaure feet.

That's what happens when you let wifey loose with a high powered MIG gun.

She's much better with the TIG. :D

CRASH

CRASH said:
That's what happens when you let wifey loose with a high powered MIG gun.

She's much better with the TIG. :D

CRASH

Sure, You blame it on your wifey and B blames his Mom. :rolleyes:

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
Sure, You blame it on your wifey and B blames his Mom. :rolleyes:

hinkley

Does this make Beezil and Crash related in some way? Sickening if true.

CRASH

Mark Hinkley said:

No, just the usual jackass, discussing himself in third person.

Are you befuddled yet?

Lupine :wave:

Beezil said:
Hinkley's participation has devalued the thread.

Its on its way to sucking.

Beezil,

Even when you welded on that shc 40 pipe you didn't creat that much splatter!

Lupine/Crash who ever you're dressed as today, you really need to get it straight for yourself before coming out into the real world.

hinkley

And you wonder why I'm so :confused:

I like those rockers too. I have one suggestion. Mine are very similar to yours. Have you though about adding a triangular piece to the leading and trailing edges of the rail supports? Make it big enough to cover the distance from the main frame to the outer edge of the rocker and fore or aft equally as much. This lessens rock busting and allows smoother progress when you would otherwise have to gas it and jerk when the brace gets hung.

I hope that explanation is clear.

breadtrk said:
I like those rockers too. I have one suggestion. Mine are very similar to yours. Have you though about adding a triangular piece to the leading and trailing edges of the rail supports? Make it big enough to cover the distance from the main frame to the outer edge of the rocker and fore or aft equally as much. This lessens rock busting and allows smoother progress when you would otherwise have to gas it and jerk when the brace gets hung.

I hope that explanation is clear.

Almost done with that very idea. There is also now a piece of stock that sneaks between the front of the back door, and the back of the front door. It stops the rockers from wanting to rotate up under full impact loads.

CRASH

Back