• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cage Done

Ugly?
Yes, but if your minimalistic exo design held up to this...
Going.bmp

...the new cage should hold up to years of abuse.
Just wondering why you didn't weld the whole thing in? It does all bolt in, right?

Jes

Edit: Oh, and you left too much sheet metal. :D

The cage does bolt in..... right now. Only the external 'pillars' actually separate from the cage itself though.

I think welding the cage in is fine (and may be exactly the direction I go) but maybe more important for guys like you that are still more uni-body reliant than me. With my full subframe, I ask a lot less from the unibody for structure.
More important for me, which is proving to be pretty tough, is tieing it to my frame below.

Actually, I did my cage so that I'm not reliant on the unibody(at least from the A pillar back at this point :rolleyes: ). That's why I tied it to a sub frame and box rockers so that the actual "body" no loger takes up the stress. Yes my sub frame/uniframe rails are part of the overall structure, but the body its' self is not.

Jes

I always get a kick out of the people here, and especially on Pirate, who poke holes in peoples cage designs. Seems like as soon as cage pics are posted everyone becomes an expert, ex-NASCAR type person.

It's amazing how little cage will actually get the job done.........when you see the results of actual rolls. Greg's back flop in Moab is a prime example, and his (some would say) minimalist exo cage held up very well to a hard roll.

have to agree with you on that :D
Goatman said:
I always get a kick out of the people here, and especially on Pirate, who poke holes in peoples cage designs. Seems like as soon as cage pics are posted everyone becomes an expert, ex-NASCAR type person.

It's amazing how little cage will actually get the job done.........when you see the results of actual rolls. Greg's back flop in Moab is a prime example, and his (some would say) minimalist exo cage held up very well to a hard roll.

Goatman said:
... everyone becomes an expert, ex-NASCAR type person.
Nascar_license_231b.jpg

I was content to sit back and admire another C-Rok creation. In fact, I thought his first exo-cage was the best looking one I've seen. But now, I have to make sure the "ex-NASCAR type" crowd is represented. :)

I think the cage looks too busy. Not a structural comment, but asthetic. That might very well change once it's painted. I am also surprised at how very few cages, including this one, are tied into the upper body work. Why not let the existing body structure and the new tube structure work together.

On the plus side, caged topless XJ's have a bad ass look that is tough to beat and the way Greg does things, his will end up as one of the better examples.

Goatman said:

Sorry did not want to poke holes in this cage design. I was just trying to get more informed on how to make mine. I will say after I posted I think the information got better, and now I might change my design to a Halo style exo, and have just an internal B-hoop to tie it into the exo.

But I am not an expert, or ex-NASCAR type person, so I am still reading. All this information is extremely help full to me. Thanks C-ROK for you photos and thoughts, and thanks to everyone that had something to say, I am just trying to pick some brains. Sorry if I came off wrong, I always do, I still don't know why i got good rep. points, I should just go back to the Den where I belong.:looser: :peace:

i like the licence plate mount, looks befy as hell, no rock garden will ever claim that plate.

looks awesome, wish i had the time/expertise/desire to do something cool like that

MaXJohnson said:
I think the cage looks too busy. Not a structural comment, but asthetic. That might very well change once it's painted. I am also surprised at how very few cages, including this one, are tied into the upper body work. Why not let the existing body structure and the new tube structure work together.

On the plus side, caged topless XJ's have a bad ass look that is tough to beat and the way Greg does things, his will end up as one of the better examples.

That's essentially the same thing that bugs me with the appearance. The external and internal tubes don't converge at the same points giving it a 'messy' sort of appearance. Further the lines between the external and internal don't match which adds to the busy look. Same goes for the gusset tubes.
I obviously saw all this when I was putting it together but accepted the compromise for where things fit while still maintaining the rear seat access, door openings, cargo area, etc.

I also think that once it's all painted red, a lot of this mess will blend in and be better hidden. The halo will also be skinned in aluminum which will conceal the spreaders and smooth out the top. Chevrons will be padded in black closed cell foam which will hide them too.
I think there's hope still.

Before my old exo was painted it really stuck out too and some of the incongrueties of the lines were more obvious. Once painted it all blended quite nicely.

So you're essentially putting a roof on it? That would be a good application for Dzus fasteners.

Looks good to me.

You do know you have a busted taillight, righ? :yap: I think that might be giving it the "messy" look you talk about.

Seriously, nice work.

MaXJohnson said:
So you're essentially putting a roof on it? That would be a good application for Dzus fasteners.
I'd go with Dzus if I thought I might want to remove it regularily. I had the same skin concept on my Scrambler cage. For that one I had drilled and tapped a bunch of 10x24 screws on 8" centers. It worked good.

Here in AZ I found that there were not too many days when I DIDN'T want the sun blasting down on me so having a removeable top was not really necessary.

C-ROK said:
Before my old exo was painted it really stuck out too and some of the incongrueties of the lines were more obvious. Once painted it all blended quite nicely.

Thats a good decision.. I origionally was thinking I wanted a silver (hammerite) tube cage for bling?.. but I ended up painting it green like my body. Over spray was less of an issue and busieness was reduced. I still want to hack some of my cage off and simplify it and add some smaller lighter tube in some places, but for now it is safe.

C-ROK said:
:YAWN: A critique from an AZVJC wheeler :YAWN:
Some things just mean so little.......

But I actually think it's kinda fugly too :D

No GREG!!!! LOOK!!! He seems to be part of the Undertakers now..... :puke:

Looks good man....Just try to keep it upright this year ok????/:)

Joe

azxjman said:
Acutally I havent wheeled with them in along time. Just for the fact that they dont do alot of hard stuf.

Hasta Neither do you....... :roflmao: :roflmao:

Joe

the one thing I don't like about your jeep crok, is that there is way less room for your favorite "smilie" magnet.....

figure out a spot for it and we'll work on getting your little buddy back from the east coast.

FlexyJOE said:
Hasta Neither do you....... :roflmao: :roflmao:

Joe

OH really like you follow me around regularly and see what trails I run and dont run. At least I am not a vendor whore.

MaXJohnson said:
I am also surprised at how very few cages, including this one, are tied into the upper body work. Why not let the existing body structure and the new tube structure work together.

Here's an example from Shaffer's Offroad:
DCP_3390.jpg

I will most likely have Shaffer do the same to my XJ. This design also makes it easy to tie in a X-brace behind the seats, which triangulates the cage, but also doesn't require full interior cage, so i can still use my glove box.

Last edited:
you gonna get the cow seatcovers too?

Back