• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C3 Vette anyone?

Darky said:
That was the most BA Vette in history, ...
That's debatable. That new ZR1 is a fawkin beast. Just over 5.2 lbs/hp; for comparison, Ferrari's Enzo is ~4.5 lbs/hp and the new 430 Scuderia is right at 6 (~6.014).

Plus, the ZR1 has Jake on board!
JakeZR1.jpg

I had a buddy that had a 79' we used to autocross. 1st vette I ever drove. Good memories. Does your have T tops? These are great on track day because if you are tall you can remove them and your helmt wont hit the roof.
If it were mine I think I would invest the money into the engine. I think for that year. the base 350 was only rated at 200 HP. GM used to sell a really nice crate set up for under $2000 that with the right carb and intake they clamed 250-300 HP out of the box. I personally love side pipes as well :)

That's debatable. That new ZR1 is a fawkin beast. Just over 5.2 lbs/hp; for comparison, Ferrari's Enzo is ~4.5 lbs/hp and the new 430 Scuderia is right at 6 (~6.014).

Plus, the ZR1 has Jake on board!
JakeZR1.jpg
Well, yeah, the new ZR1 is a beast. It's the most powerful fastest Vette in history, not to mention the most expensive. However, there's just something about the lines of the 67 with that 427 rumbling through sidepipes that hits me on a more fundamental level than the newer Vettes. Perfect world, I'd own a red 67 convertible 427 with tan leather and a graphite 09 ZR1. :D

Well to answer a few questions:

Interior is red, not a huge fan, and I kinda want to go black with it, maybe with some green piping on the seats to match the stripe. If I glass the dash it will likely look just like stock only smoothed a little and also maybe re-arranged some. It wont look like this, I assure you:

http://image.truckinweb.com/f/14804969/0904tr_14_z+ford_f250_super_duty+fiberglass_dash.jpg

As of right now, it's stock stock stock. 350 with a manual (be it 4 or 5 speed, I dont know.....its been 7 years here guys).

I am in between thoughts on the spoiler on the back. I'll have to fix it and see if I want to keep it.

The LED's I think will be nice. Not real sure how I will set it up, but I know it'll be awesome. And this is also, as stated because of a painted over set of old plastic covers.

Sorry I blew up on the first two posters, but I asked for suggestions or examples and got and internet beat down... I get defensive, sorry. We're straight now.

I have two greens in mind. One hunter and the other grabber:

Hunter:
http://www.trim-built.com/images/hunter-green-02.jpg

Grabber:
bossonerh3-1.jpg

Again, this will only be the stripes on the white that'll be this color, not the whole car. If it's the grabber green it might get a 1/4'' black outline to set it off, but the hunter won't have the outline. If not two nice thick stripes, then it will be one good sized one. No gay flames or stuff like that, trying to keep it a little classy. I know most people will recommend the hunter over the grabber, and it will likely be Hunter in the end, but I still LOVE that grabber green. No crazy body lines like the Mustang pictured.

If someone wants to photoshop some stripes of different colors on a white C3 (1979) then I'll definitely consider other colors or stripe combos. I like green and you rarely see it on sports cars so that was my initial thought.

I really just wish the whole thing was painted this color:
http://www.corvetteblogger.com/images/content/101508_1.jpg

I might go with that color stripe if I can get a close enough match.

It does in fact have t-tops (thats why the interior will mostly be taken out since they may have leaked and I am sure they have gotten plenty of sun).

The rims MIGHT get an upgrade since they are stock steelies with "beauty rings". I will look and see what I can get for cheap that wont be like dubs or something. Maybe just polished aluminum, but more likely the texture of Moabs. Nothing too fancy.

I am very open to suggestions. I may ditch the side pipes and decide to run true quads out the back, who knows (I assume that would be the same as true duals, only 4 pipes ran, not 2.) I am going for a good classic look with a little modern upgrade (I.E. HIDs, LEDs and new interior with glass), but Im not trying to Rice it out.

Any ideas, comments or questions, let me know. This wont have any time to be worked on til the end-ish of May, but I will keep people posted.

THANKS!

My dad had a 77 when I was in high school for a short while. Thing drove nice, sounded great, and was fun to play with, when it was running.

When it wasn't you heard nothing but swear words from the garage. Its not the most shadetree mechanic friendly design out there, but I still love how they look.

The very first thing I'd do is get to work on making some power. Do you know if it is an L82? If so, you have the fire breathing monster (;)), developing 225 hp. Otherwise the base motor has the same output of a 4.0 I-6.

If you can find a vin tag or boradcast sheet, here are the options:

RPO Description Production Price
A31 Power Windows 20,631 (38.34%) $141
AU3 Power Door Locks 9,054 (16.83%) $131
C49 Rear Window Defogger 41,587 (77.29%) $102
C60 Air Conditioning 47,136 (87.60%) $635
CC1 Removable Glass Roof Panels 14,480 (26.91%) $365
D35 Sport Mirrors 48,211 (89.60%) $45
D80 Spoilers, front and Rear 6,853 (12.74%) $265
F51 Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers 2,164 (4.02%) $33
FE7 Gymkhana Suspension 12,321 (22.90%) $49
G95 Optional Rear Axle Ratio 428 (0.80%) $19
K30 Cruise Control 34,445 (64.02%) $113
L82 350 cu. in. 225hp Engine 14,516 (26.98%) $565
M21 4-Speed Manual Transmission, close ratio 4,062 (7.55%) n/a
MX1 Automatic Transmission 41,454 (77.04%) n/a
N37 Tilt-Telescopic Steering Column 47,463 (88.21%) $190
N90 Aluminum Wheels (4) 33,741 (62.71%) $380
NA6 High Altitude Emission Equipment 56 (0.10%) $35
QBS White Letter SBR Tires, P255 / 60R15 17,920 (33.30%) $226
QGR White Letter SBR Tires, P225 / 70R15 29,603 (55.02%) $54
U58 AM-FM Radio, stereo 9,256 (17.20%) $90
U75 Power Antenna 35,730 (66.40%) $52
U81 Dual Rear Speakers 37,754 (70.17%) $52
UA1 Heavy Duty Battery 3,405 (6.33%) $21
UM2 AM-FM Radio, stereo with 8-track 21,435 (39.84%) $228
UN3 AM-FM Radio, stereo with cassette 12,110 (22.51%) $234
UP6 AM-FM Radio, stereo with CB 4,483 (8.33%) $439
YF5 California Emission Certification 3,798 (7.06%) $83
ZN1 Trailer Package 1,001 (1.86%) $98
ZQ2 Power Windows and Door Locks 28,465 (52.90%) $272
ZX2 Convenience Group 41,530 (77.18%) $94

For reference, a NAXJA member is selling his '79 L82 right now:

http://www.pnwjeep.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12389

-----Matt-----

Picture002.jpg

My Dad's old 81' I plan on picking up one sometime down the road, the thing was a blast to drive even with the lack of horsepower...

Wide rear tires, better stereo. Leave the TLs alone, please for God's sake dont paint it with stripes!!!
Keep it one color.

I wouldn't go with the huge rim/skinny tire combo on the older vette.
A) I think it looks stupid.
B) The suspension geometry is going to be wrong for the low-profile tires.
I'd go with what used to be called "+1", jump up to 60 series tires on 16" rims

Based on the year('79) your best bet for increasing Hp:
1) Scrap the cat. converter. It's probably a pellet type core and about as free breathing as a straw. Any modern replacement/aftermarket cat will be an improvement.
2) Increase compression. In the late 70s, they lowered the comp. ratio on everything to help with emissions. To avoid a short block tear down(if it's good) look on E-bay for aluminum heads with tight chambers, it's surprising how cheap some of those go. A friend scored a set for about 500 (also shaves 40-50 lb off the nose)
Don't bother about headers, cam, etc. until you get that done

I have to vote with the solid color crowd on the paint (sorry,...) for that year car anyway. at most you could start stripe panels on the hood and continued on the rear deck. As pretty as the styling is, there are no body lines to accent the stripes

.......and in recent news I was able to get inside the car. The keys have been lost and I was able to get the window down (belt or teeth on the rail were broken...I'm guessing belt. The thing is STINKY cause the t-tops have leaked for the last 7 years and there is a puddle in the passenger side floor board. All that will be addressed. I still need to pull the panel off and get the lock mech to "open" mode. Unfortunately, even though I got inside, the locks are either missing their inside unlock peg, or are stuck.

I have some good pictures off my phone of the thing, but I am about to leave the house. I will post up later.

I'm excited. Now that I'm done with school and have a job with an income, I can work on this puppy. It's not near as bad inside as I thought it was going to be.

Sorry for the 7 month wait (thought I would get to this this summer); but its on now.

I realized that since I just moved home from graduating college, I dont know where my card reader is, so i will have to locate it tomorrow.

Pictures then.

EDIT: Just found it; realized I knew exactly where I put it.... Just a few minutes now

Last edited:
Looks like you have your work cut out for yourself!
Once you get it running and the windows and interior cleaned and dry, get some new tires! Yours look worse than the ones on our daughters first car (77 Dodge w/ 50,000 original miles). She had a sidewall blow out because they were so old even though they looked near new.

Back