• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bylaws

I just dont want to see anyone unable to attend a run be it official or unofficial because they dont wheel an xj.

I don't think that we should exclude anyone from an event but you must consider we are a sub-chapter of the NAXJA which is devoted exclusively to MJs & XJs not Jeeps as a whole.
If we have an event we should charge anyone to participate even if only $1 but those outside the XJ/MJ group should not be members of a group exclusively meant to be for MJ/XJ owners. Those who want to attend that are not MJ/XJ NAXJA members should pay a higher fee to attend. Read fund raiser here goodburbon.
If we want to include anyone that wants to wheel in this club then we should look for sanctioning from somewhere other than NAXJA.

As far as sanctioned, official NAXJA events are concerned I think we are stuck with the national rules which are not likely to be changed even in the face of terrorist threats (LOL).

But all other local chapter events are pretty much left up to the local event coordinator.

I see no reason that we can't have a joint event co-sponsored with another type of jeep club, and various other local activities, like local great and meets, attended by other jeep, or other 4 wheeler owners. I doub't that NAXJA would care or fight us on that, but when it comes to the forum and the web site that would be another issue entirely.

Ecomike said:
As far as sanctioned, official NAXJA events are concerned I think we are stuck with the national rules which are not likely to be changed even in the face of terrorist threats (LOL).

But all other local chapter events are pretty much left up to the local event coordinator.

I see no reason that we can't have a joint event co-sponsored with another type of jeep club, and various other local activities, like local great and meets, attended by other jeep, or other 4 wheeler owners. I doub't that NAXJA would care or fight us on that, but when it comes to the forum and the web site that would be another issue entirely.

Don't think they can be members of our chapter unless they are members of NAXJA and thus they would have to be MJ/XJ owners. My only point is that if we want to start letting others into the chapter events that is one thing, but we have no right telling them that they can be members of this chapter without the national membership. At any event be it a meet & greet a trail ride or any other event I don't think we should exclude anyone who wants to be a part of that event. Just not to have them become a part of the chapter without owning a membership in NAXJA. Just my understanding of what we are about to become a chapter of.
If you guys want all kinds of 4X4s in this group/chapter then we need to start some other kind of club.

mikeforte said:
If you guys want all kinds of 4X4s in this group/chapter then we need to start some other kind of club.

Yup. While I COMPLETELY agree with the sentiment that anyone with a rig should be allowed to attend our un-official events, the National By-laws will supercede us for sanctioned events, and I somehow doubt that an XJ association is going to alllow non-XJ owners in as members. :)

Kendrik said:
Yup. While I COMPLETELY agree with the sentiment that anyone with a rig should be allowed to attend our un-official events, the National By-laws will supercede us for sanctioned events, and I somehow doubt that an XJ association is going to alllow non-XJ owners in as members. :)

Exactly my point but more compactly stated.

goodburbon said:
I do, however, think that we should not exclude valuable members who just happen to have sold their xj/mj.

As long as they maintain their NAXJA membership I fail to see a problem with that. But national should be noted to say they should own or have access to an MJ/XJ. So what about that clause in the national membership rule? We may be in trouble if we allow it. Not too sure about it though.

All valid, good points and I don't think there is any disagreement between us on those details.

To be a member, they must claim to be an XJ owner to join the national first.(*) Once they are a national member they can join the local chapter. National users can also participate to a limited extent in the local chapter like they do the national, but cannot vote in the local chapter unless they are or become current national payed members. Actual event rules should cover the spefic variable non-member rights, if any, policed by the event co-ordinator in the absense of BOD member or officer.

* To my knowledge there is no proof of XJ ownership required by national to join.

If in fact this is the right place to discuss the bylaws then BigDaddyChia brought up "regional coordinators" which is a different name for the area representatives that I mentioned earlier(maybe on a different thread) but with an area as large as we will have to cover I can't see any other way to accomplish such a feat without doing something similar, no matter what they are called.

It is going to be very difficult to manage a group over this large of an area. I agree that regional coordinators would help the BOD. That being said we now have to determine how to distribute the regions. Using the KISS method mentioned earlier the minimum for the BOD would be 3.

President or Director
Secretary
Treasurer

I believe that there should also be a Vice or Assistant to assist the Prez.

That would leave us at four people on the BOD. The regionals could be used to populate the rest of the board.

As far as the officers are concerned I agree that we should start with 3 level headed to select the initial BOD. They would begin the process of officially forming the chapter. Once that is completed a meeting would be held to nominate the permanent BOD.

Anyone want me to continue?

Please do. You are on the right trail but the BOD should always be an odd number so no ties exist in a vote. Just my non-elgible 2 cents worth.

mikeforte said:
Please do. You are on the right trail but the BOD should always be an odd number so no ties exist in a vote. Just my non-eligible 2 cents worth.

I agree 100%! Since we have permanent members the rest would be from the regionals. Three permanent BOD (vice, sec, tres) would be elected by the chapter as a whole and the regionals would obviously come from each region, and the prez would be selected by the regionals internally. This would keep any large population groups (Houston, DFW...) from dominating the leadership.

Of course we would then have to decide on voting privileges for the permanent (administrative?) BOD.

Clear as the Red River huh?

Jay VT said:
I agree 100%! Since we have permanent members the rest would be from the regionals. Three permanent BOD (vice, sec, tres) would be elected by the chapter as a whole and the regionals would obviously come from each region, and the prez would be selected by the regionals internally. This would keep any large population groups (Houston, DFW...) from dominating the leadership.

Of course we would then have to decide on voting privileges for the permanent (administrative?) BOD.

Clear as the Red River huh?
Sounds OK but I do think we should elect the President as well. At least this time since we are not too well organized yet. We have good leaders already but they are not yet elected. The newer people who are being notified of the chapters formation are not all on board yet.
We still have new people joining our ranks everyday. Most may take awhile to get up to speed on what we have done and what we have yet to accomplish.
Some may want to hold an office and others may be ideal for "area reps" but that is yet to be determined because of the influx of members.

I agreed with the 3 person initial BOD setup from an earlier post. Give them some time and assistance to get it going before we open the BOD up for elections. It would also give some of us time to meet each other.

mikeforte said:
As long as they maintain their NAXJA membership I fail to see a problem with that. But national should be noted to say they should own or have access to an MJ/XJ. So what about that clause in the national membership rule? We may be in trouble if we allow it. Not too sure about it though.

Are we going to require a copy of titles now? This club gets a little uptight about petty things. Who would want to be a club member if they didn't have one? I get the feeling that we as a chapter won't be nearly as anal as another unnamed chapter. I hope I'm right.

Hmm, I wonder if I have to return my MWC stickers now:confused1

File 05 said:
Are we going to require a copy of titles now? This club gets a little uptight about petty things. Who would want to be a club member if they didn't have one? I get the feeling that we as a chapter won't be nearly as anal as another unnamed chapter. I hope I'm right.

Hmm, I wonder if I have to return my MWC stickers now:confused1

Photocopies will be fine, unless it is financed and someone else holds the title.
JUST KIDDING If you fooled NAXJA then thats good enough for me.

Why would you want to keep stickers from MWC anyway? We will get some made up to cover those ugly stickers. Or you could rattle can over them.

Roxy do you want to be an area rep? Is that why you are inquiring. I think it is going to be the choice of the BOD at this point.

I was thinking of cutting the requirement for rep down to 6 month membership, this would give fresh blood a good stepping stone, and keep fresh ideas and members on top.

Regions to be considered.

western Oklahoma
Eastern Oklahoma
South Louisiana
North Louisiana
SE Texas
NE Texas
Panhandle
Deep south Texas
Central Texas
West texas.

We would need to narrow that down a bit, for instance right now La. and OK have no need for 2 reps. There also is a distinct lack of participation from west texas. It may serve us to have an even number of reps(4 or maybe 6) with the President providing a tie breaker vote when needed. It would be a true representitive government and the President could double as the Chapter rep to National.

These are just thoughts mind you, and right now that kind of system would leave us top heavy. Our membership is, however growing rapidly and I think that once we reach around 60-80 members a rep gov't may work nicely.

Back