• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

busted stud on the manifold

If you're lucky, the reverse drill bit might "catch" it and spin it right out.

x2, that's usually the case for me. Also I like to use the square extractors vs the screw type. People usually break extractors for one of two reasons. A) the hole drilled was not deep enough for the extractor to properly grab, or B) the hole drilled was not large enough. You want to use an extractor that fits snug at least 1/3 to 1/2 of it's length into the hole you drilled, and you want to remove somewhere around 70% of the broken bolt when you drill the center out.

If you're lucky, the reverse drill bit might "catch" it and spin it right out.

Thats what i was thinking, i'v never used such a bit and wondered if thats what it's purpose was. I'll check my local Hardware store.. they have a pretty good selection..

x2, that's usually the case for me. Also I like to use the square extractors vs the screw type. People usually break extractors for one of two reasons. A) the hole drilled was not deep enough for the extractor to properly grab, or B) the hole drilled was not large enough. You want to use an extractor that fits snug at least 1/3 to 1/2 of it's length into the hole you drilled, and you want to remove somewhere around 70% of the broken bolt when you drill the center out.

Good input Grimm.. not sure i'm aware of the square type either. Figure i'll try heating the head around the stud hole as well.. just a small propane bottle and tip.

Mine was seized in the head before / after it broke off... i had to completely drill it out and put a helicoil in there. Worked great afterwards.

Not really educated on helicoils, i'll look into that option too.

Assuming i drill larger, and get a helicoil sized to a stock manifold bolt?

Helicoils, helical steel thread repair systems, can be a good way to repair a lot of stuck bolt or thread problems. Remember that you absolutely must use the right size drill for the insert, and use the included tap for it to work.

Helicoils, helical steel thread repair systems, can be a good way to repair a lot of stuck bolt or thread problems. Remember that you absolutely must use the right size drill for the insert, and use the included tap for it to work.

Googled Helicoil, saw a youtube vid..looks easy enough.

Search shows me the stud is a 3/8-16.. Thanks 5-90. I just purchase a helicoil kit for use on that size bolt..correct?

I'm pretty sure that the kits are sized for the fastener that will be used, so a kit for a 3/8-16 bolt should be right. The kit does not come with a drill bit, make sure you use the right sized bit. Me, I'd just buy a new drill to be sure.

I'm pretty sure that the kits are sized for the fastener that will be used, so a kit for a 3/8-16 bolt should be right. The kit does not come with a drill bit, make sure you use the right sized bit. Me, I'd just buy a new drill to be sure.

Exactly right Jeff. Got the Helicoil kit and correct 25/64" bit for it. Did the job and it was cake.. took pics that i'll post up later to help the next guy.

Dealing with the damn pilot bearing now.. :laugh:

Back