• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

burnout

Jeffro600 said:
Instructions for doing a burn out in an automatic XJ:

Start engine

Pull into the middle of the street

Put transmission in nuetral

Hold gas pedal to the floor till RPM gauge bounces of rev limiter(if you dont have a tach, just use your judgement as to when the engine is screaming bloody murder)

Put transmission in drive while still holding gas pedal to the floor

Push XJ off to the side of the road....call tow truck and pick up transmission and driveline parts out of the middle of the road

Sometimes you just gotta ask yourself....WHY? :dunno:

Not saying it's a good idea or anything, but I doubt you'd be picking up too many pieces. I saw a friend do this repeatedly to his (parents) '89 XJ Wagoneer. All he wound up doing was breaking the rear U-joint and dropping the driveshaft. Yes it was stupid, no you shouldn't do it.

While mine is still stock...it will easily spin the tires. Why the need to place trans in N then rev to limit then place in D? That sound like a really bad idea, though I'd like to see someone do it.

no kidding, what's with the overkill? it takes me practically no effort to break the tires loose...haven't even done much to the poor girl yet. No need to destroy your tranny, just everything behind it. :twak:Though I gotta tell ya, I do enjoy the smell of burning rubber...

Last edited:
bah, get yourself an MJ, with no weight back there it's childs play to dump the clutch and spin 31's. It's also fun for doughnuts in the deep snow...intentional or not.

tompatjr said:
While mine is still stock...it will easily spin the tires. Why the need to place trans in N then rev to limit then place in D? That sound like a really bad idea, though I'd like to see someone do it.

Maybe you missed it, what they are implying is that if your stupid enough to do brakestands, your also porbubly stupid enough to put it in N and slam it into drive (called a Neutral drop). Your driveline will explode into a million peices and you may very well end up in tears. But hey, if your buying into this stuff, get rolling about 10mph, and run straight into a brick wall. Dont let off the gas, the wall will keep you in place so you wont ruine your brakes while burning out.

Go try that one on for size. Better yet, do a roll-back! Get up to top speed in reverse, then slam it into drive, thats even better then a neutral drop!!!

zfinger said:
Maybe you missed it, what they are implying is that if your stupid enough to do brakestands, your also porbubly stupid enough to put it in N and slam it into drive (called a Neutral drop). Your driveline will explode into a million peices and you may very well end up in tears. But hey, if your buying into this stuff, get rolling about 10mph, and run straight into a brick wall. Dont let off the gas, the wall will keep you in place so you wont ruine your brakes while burning out.

Go try that one on for size. Better yet, do a roll-back! Get up to top speed in reverse, then slam it into drive, thats even better then a neutral drop!!!

I guess I missed it then.

How come you know so much about stupid stuff? Neutral drops, brick wall burn outs, and roll-backs.

:wstupid:I did a nasty burnout on a 93 2wd HO and had yellow/white smoke coming in through the dash panel vent's, It also drifted :greensmok:

tompatjr said:
I guess I missed it then.

How come you know so much about stupid stuff? Neutral drops, brick wall burn outs, and roll-backs.
Well in high school my friend did a neutral drop with his parents 98 Exporer and left his driveline in his driveway. And my neighbor got rear-ended and did the reverse of a brickwall burnout by hooking a chain to an oak tree and the other end to the truck, and tried to pull the bed off. Worked the same then the chain got tight. And then there was this old Sentra someone had...

I'm 19 and I think I've seen it all...

When I was younger, and much dumber, I slammed the transmission into drive from nuetral as it hit 5k RPM. Busted rear u-joint was the extent of the damage. Not too bad I guess, but I was worried that I had messed up the tranny.

we destroyed reverse in a corolla by switching into reverse while moving forward at around 30, if you ever get a chance to do that it makes some interesting noises

Did a rollback in my dad's old f-150 back in the day, had some cracked leaf springs... had to run back and pick them up outa the middle of the road...

Just to clear some things up, i did blow my rearend in that burnout, since it was a 5 minute long burn (One tire fire on a Goodyear that was almost new, but the sidewals were cracked)

It was worth it because I got a 4.10 rearend to replace it, so its all good now.

On the neutral drop thing, I had a running 88 wagoneer for a parts rig once, it ran like ass and was on half of its last leg. In 4 wheel drive, I revved to 6300rpm (all she ahd, no rev limiter, renix 4.0) and dropped her into drive with the brakes on.

I did NOT brake anything, it clanked, bogged down and spun them a little. I would obviously NEVER do this to anything I cared about. But it sure was fun trying it.

I also tried park at 15mph, not a good idea. :)

Another good one, is 15 in reverse, 4wd on pavement into neutral, into drive at 6300rpm.

That was not good, didnt break anything, but it sure didnt like that.

Here is my procedure for doing a sweet burnout.

1. Unhook rear brake line at the block on the axle.
2. Pump the brake pedal and push out all the fluid in the rear line into
some container.
3. Now get in and start the engine and hold down the break pedal.
4. Now mash down on the gas pedal.
5. Be amazed at how easy it is to break the back tires loose when the front
brakes hold you in place and the rear tires spin free.
6. Reattach the brake line.
7. Refill the empty half of the master cylinder and bleed the rear brakes.

This is not a joke. It works and shouldn't damage anything too bad. I have done it several times. I actually drove my jeep around for three days like this while waiting for a longer brake line to come in the mail. The front brakes provide about 75% of the stopping force anyway. It just isn't the quickest or most cost effective way to do it, but if you have the rear line off for some reason then why not?

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
Here is my procedure for doing a sweet burnout.

1. Unhook rear brake line at the block on the axle.
2. Pump the brake pedal and push out all the fluid in the rear line into
some container.
3. Now get in and start the engine and hold down the break pedal.
4. Now mash down on the gas pedal.
5. Be amazed at how easy it is to break the back tires loose when the front
brakes hold you in place and the rear tires spin free.
6. Reattach the brake line.
7. Refill the empty half of the master cylinder and bleed the rear brakes.

This is not a joke. It works and shouldn't damage anything too bad. I have done it several times. I actually drove my jeep around for three days like this while waiting for a longer brake line to come in the mail. The front brakes provide about 75% of the stopping force anyway. It just isn't the quickest or most cost effective way to do it, but if you have the rear line off for some reason then why not?
SPOBI! That has got to be one of the DUMBEST things I've read here (besides the Big-G threads). Dude, don't encourage irresponsible behavior, ok?

Sniggs said:
SPOBI! That has got to be one of the DUMBEST things I've read here (besides the Big-G threads). Dude, don't encourage irresponsible behavior, ok?

Whats irresponsible about it. It works perfectly. Like I said I've done it a few times. There is nothing unsafe about it. Thats what the brake system was designed to do. Its split so if one side has a leak in a line the other side will still function. And I'd say that since it was designed to bring the vehicle to a stop with only the front or rear brakes then it would be fine to hold the vehicle in place because that doesn't take near as much force to hold as stopping it.

Back