• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

built dana60 rear. bolt into xj

ktm racer 419

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for a reliable bolt in rear axle for your xj?

look no further.

I built this with "not breaking" in mind. and so far so good. I have daily driven it on 36's and 37's and recently 35's. 5.38 gears with 35's are quite sexy on the street btw.

You won't be able to build this axle for this price, but will entertain offers and possible trades for xj suspension,armor,doodads.

lets go down the list shall we...

housing: semifloat dana 60-2 from a 1974 international. from what i believe is a travelall 200 ( i have been told these are also the housings put under late 70's mopar muscle cars)

gears: 5.38 yukon ring and pinion, master intstall kit featuring timken bearings

locker: strange engineering 35 spline full spool

axles: moser alloy 35 spline (10 year warranty against breakage at the splined end)

cover: solid axle industries hd cover

brakes: caddilac eldorado calipers (will lock up 37's on dry pavement at 40 mph, too scared to try it at faster speeds) with functioning e-brake and chevy half ton pickup brake rotors. will include e-brake cables to work with up to a 96 xj

doodads:

timken tapered roller bearings (set 10) wheel bearings

ruffstuff antiwrap spring perches

1310 u bolt style u joint yoke

lubelocker gasket

6 lug (chevy, toyota, fullsize jeep)

wms-wms is around 62" ( i can get you an exact number if needed

The axle was geared by myself in November 2007 and has about 30k miles on it, so you arent getting some fresh gearjob that could have possibly been thrown together to sell the axle, and will fail prematurely.

the bottom is "shaved" so to say. not by choice, but by dragging it over rocks the past 2 years. its right to the bottom of the lowest bolt hole. (no longer use that bolt) seals just fine. there is still plenty of housing thickness left.

This particular housing originally used inner and outer wheel seals and kept the wheel bearing sealed in grease, but i had issues with the wheel bearing lasting. I did some research and in 1975 international used the same housing and just ditched the inner seal (so the bearings were lubed via gear oil) i ditched the inner seal and havent had a problem since. but when the old wheel bearings went they damaged the seal surface on the shaft. I repaired the shafts with "speedi sleeves" they are a permanent repair for damaged seal surfaces.

it uses standard xj dana44 wheel bearings and seals, as well as commonly found brake parts, so parts are available at most any parts store if you need something in a pinch.

I will include all receipts I have as well as a sheet telling exactly what each part is and the part number to that corresponding part.

Pickup in Northwest RI or will possibly meet or deliver for a fee later to be determined. would like to avoid shipping.

$1350 OR BEST

edit: heres a terrible pic

5736_687273077194_11322778_40712451_4922808_n.jpg

Last edited:
maybe i'm a weetahd but i didn't see the asking price listed?

I think you should make another type-o and sell it for $5

AH SHEET

edited. i copied and pasted this from another forum i listed it on where the asking price was in the title

no problem :wave1:

I'd be interested except for the 6 lug and gears :( good deal though IMO, good luck with the sale :)

Ohhhh my, the things I would do for this.... And it'd work perfect for me because I have 5.38s for the d44's.. Ugghhh. If only I could justify spending that much money on the XJ after dumping as much as I have into it already... bump for a steal.

bada-bump

i'll take trades/partial trades

lookin for dana44 complete axles/housings/parts and a fairly low milage 91-98 4.0

Back