• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Build thread: Johnny 5 and his pal Henry

I use a knotted wire wheel on my 4.5 grinder then the DA and 2" sanding disk on my air angle grinder to get all the zinc off. Wear a good dust mask.

i know its been answered, but what wheels do ya'll use to clean your framerails? i have some flap discs, but thats all i have. wondering if i need to make a harbor freight run.

If you are talking about the undercoating stuff, heat it up with mapp gas and it comes off with a putty knife/scraper like butter. I got both sides of my XJ done in less than an hour.

welll...it was an interesting day at the machine shop. machinist noticed a hairline crack in one of the water jackets on the head that i couldn't see when i looked it over, and my 4.2 crank had a big chip out of it that i also didn't see right in front of the rear main. apparently i need to get my eyes checked! fortunately he actually had a 12 counterweight crank sitting in plastic that he had machined and polished for someone in 2002 and then never came to pick it up. he sold it to me for dirt cheap and fixed one of my issues. now i have to go pull a head in a yard...should be much easier than finding a crank. he also has a machined 4.0 block sitting in the back that was never paid for as well. i may get my stock crank cleaned up and put a stock 4.0 with a mild cam together for my wj...

at any rate, machine work is happening and this showed up today:

IMG_20150415_183710098_HDR_zpsyqlixqnt.jpg

a little bling for inside the motor...pistons will be ordered once the block is hot tanked and inspected. probably will be getting bored .030 over to make a 4.6 running the stock rods and a 4.2 crank.

i also found these on clist:

IMG_20150415_183752765_HDR_zps6vjjlyvv.jpg

got them for about half off what they cost new shipped to your door. they will fit the overall theme of this jeep nicely and will cover my dirty stock seats until i can find some nicer seats. here is what they actually look like:

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/53.htm

they are supposed to be for jk/tj but they guy said they didn't fit his jk. i test fit one on my xj and it fit perfectly. should be good for small tools, camping gear and a few misc things that i need. all the compartments are removable so you can strap them to a backpack or belt if you go hiking or go somewhere without the jeep...i thought they were pretty cool

Last edited:
IMG_9007%20Small_zps0v3vrybz.png

the lip that is chipped on mine is circled in this pic (not my actual crank) but it had a good 1/2" chip out of it. don't know how i missed it when i bought it.

UGH...more maths. think i got things dialed in pretty well though

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-16%20at%208.59.46%20PM_zps0lynfbpo.png

now as long as the block is okay imma order some pistons this week and set the deck height based on that. it SHOULD run fine on pump gas...will run premium when i can but it should run fine on 87-89.

started pulling plastic and stripping down the rear for the stiffener/no lift SRB install. i've never seen a rear quarter without surface rust or rot holes before lol

IMG_20150416_184558276_zpsohm61zph.jpg

ive also never had these come off without breaking the bolts

IMG_20150416_180338173_zpsswwqewaq.jpg

the ubolt plates seem heavier than factory on this jeep...but it could just be that the ones i've pulled off have been partially rusted away. these still had some black paint on them...

IMG_20150416_184031030_zpsxi6vzxkn.jpg

IMG_20150417_163603504_zps2rdwss55.jpg

went to visit my motor today to talk to the machinist...block is in good shape, the rods were pretty much destroyed, but he has another set of rods there from a 4.0 block that no one ever picked up (seems to be a common theme there) the block is a wj block...if all goes well, i may be buying that for next to nothing. he also has a brand new 0331 head sitting there on the shelf that no one picked up...i've been doing some reading, and there actually may be a chance that i will buy it instead of paying for the valve job. shockingly, even with the smaller exhaust ports, the flow numbers on the 0331 stock are really good. it cant be ported as much as the 7120, but i'm having some thoughts about it...

my block being checked out...the wj/tj block is on the floor.

IMG_20150417_163606979_zpssc5eam7s.jpg

got them for about half off what they cost new shipped to your door. they will fit the overall theme of this jeep nicely and will cover my dirty stock seats until i can find some nicer seats. here is what they actually look like:
l

what seats do you need? I have many sets. I have a full set of gray ones, front and rear.

Bed is yours if you still want it, otherwise it will go to Doug.

He's gonna put pretty ricky in storage for a bit until he can do a restoration on that one too.

what seats do you need? I have many sets. I have a full set of gray ones, front and rear.

Bed is yours if you still want it, otherwise it will go to Doug.

He's gonna put pretty ricky in storage for a bit until he can do a restoration on that one too.

right now i'm looking for tan leathers for this jeep, but they are super hard to find in good shape. i may just settle for black wj seats and put these tan covers on. saw a pic of something similar and i liked it....

as for the bed, i will see what my free time is like coming up. work is a little interesting right now so i'm not sure what my schedule is going to be like coming up...

just a sample of how my week has gone...

IMG_20150420_173857408_HDR_zpsdkdlohmq.jpg

OOOH pretty!

IMG_20150420_173852377_HDR_zpsmcaxghej.jpg

nice....aaaand....

IMG_20150420_173846898_zpshe5lvmzx.jpg

DOH! someone put one of the wrong coils in the box. all the paperwork and labels said otherwise. hopefully their customer service is as nice as their springs. they were closed when i called tonight, hopefully will get it squared away tomorrow....

got things squared away with PAC...have to wait a week while they make a new batch of the coils i need, but they weren't going to go on asap anyway. block is ready for boring...just waiting to get the pistons in for measurements.

im also hoping to have a new welder soon...my goal is to have this thing ready by august for a road trip that melissa and i are making. i was being fairly casual with it, but now with a deadline, i'm going to need to get some work done with the trailer too. we are planning a run from here to iowa, then possibly to colorado. working on details now, but it will mostly be a scenic, hiking and sightseeing kind of trip.

Glad they are fixing the mix up for ya. Get a hold of me if ya spend any time is DSM on your trip.

will definitely be in dsm in august. we will actually be there this weekend. probably will meet up with that short little guy with the gruff voice who works at advance at some point ;)

Ha! Cool. My shops about a mile south of his store, work till 3pm on Saturday then in the shop all day Sunday if ya want to stop by.

Ha! Cool. My shops about a mile south of his store, work till 3pm on Saturday then in the shop all day Sunday if ya want to stop by.

never made it to advance, but i did meet up with collin for lunch...too short of a trip to do some running. i actually know right where your lot is. i used to drive by it all the time when collin worked at oriellys.

in other news...

IMG_20150429_170428029_zpswjgptxnm.jpg

block is waiting for the pistons to show up to receive its final decking. need the pistons to check clearance. ordered all the rest of the motor internals today as well. all in total the stroker build is going to cost between 1500-1700. thats with set of pretty fancy pistons.

the replacement spring came from PAC today too. should get more time to get the lift installed next week. had to spend the last 3 days getting the rust bucket ready for a drive to philly. ran into a few snags along the way, so its taking longer that i wanted it to.

a little internal bling...

IMG_20150507_165156558_HDR_zpsfqxvgwp8.jpg

all the motor parts have arrived, so its ready to be assembled. at this point i think i am going to have the machine shop assemble things on the bottom end. i was going to do it myself, but with the money that i've spent on parts, i think i would rather have someone experienced tackle the project. i trust my mechanical skills a lot, but i don't want to screw this up.

Back