• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

budget boost - better of the 2?

I don't want to get in a block argument or anything. But there are a lot of people out there with big misconceptions about them. Cherokee forum guys flip out if you even mention blocks.

Lol so you're over here now? This could get interesting lol

The only reason why others and I gave ya shi* for recommending blocks was that you never at least gave notion to what blocks can do to a leaf pack(axle wrap, shorten the life of a pack, etc...) I could care less if you recommend them, as long as you let the new guys who are learning and don't know any better what can be involved with them. That was the only reason I argued with you lol

Lol so you're over here now? This could get interesting lol

The only reason why others and I gave ya shi* for recommending blocks was that you never at least gave notion to what blocks can do to a leaf pack(axle wrap, shorten the life of a pack, etc...) I could care less if you recommend them, as long as you let the new guys who are learning and don't know any better what can be involved with them. That was the only reason I argued with you lol

What's funny is I am not the only forum jumper I guess?

LOL. And you know it was not just blocks over there. They seem to be very touchy and cultish I guess you could say.

Anyways I have always defended what I see as misconceptions. Not just blocks. But a few other things.

Gives me something to do to stay out of trouble. 8)

This is big bird.

HP60 rear. 4.7 stroker. 37" tires. MJ leafs.. and 2.25" lift blocks. For 10 years. (actually, 3 .75" blocks stacked on top of each other).

wreckingball2.jpg

flexy.jpg

sideshot2.jpg

Yes, blocks can make axle wrap worse.

No, running blocks does not make you a nazi baby killer chasing down busloads of nuns.

Blocks with vertical shackles on stock leaf springs ride like crap. It's more the vertical shackle that's the problem, so why not fix that with a set of relocators, gaining the small lift you're after and eliminating the blocks at the same time? A longer shackle set at a good angle will allow more flex and less stress on your leaves. The better way is not much more expensive than lift blocks and is drastically better.

This is like trying to herd cats, to answer the question the OP asked, AAL is the best option for tired old stock leaf springs to gain an inch or two of lift with minimal install effort. I can only provide advice based on my own personal experience with my 6 XJ's, with the XJ bastard packs I have built, the XJ AAL I have installed, and with the 17 XJ's in my local Jeep club. Lift blocks and extended shackles installed on a stock XJ leaf pack only aggravates the sagging in a proven poorly designed leaf spring, and can also lead to broken leaves. MJ leaf springs are a different design than XJ springs, they are longer eye to eye than XJ leafs, and they have a higher cargo capacity.

Back