• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

budget boost - better of the 2?

I've been struggling with this one for a few hours.

Show me one single XJ leaf with a published engineered shackle length?

There isn't. It's opinion. My shackles work fine. They are almost straight to slightly back. About 1" longer than stock.

My stock shackles were fine also. I had longer shackles at one point but hated them and removed them.

Some people buy these at JC Whitney. Keep in mind you'll need to buy bushings. I've heard of problems with Dormans or maybe Crowns cracking pretty quick so I would do some research before buying. I used MOOG (Clevite) bushings the last time I need a set of bushings. If you are handy you can probably lube the bushings up with sliding fluid or even dish soap and hammer them in.

I have access to a large arbor press so pressing the new bushings in shouldn't be a big deal.

I have not seen one.

Without the shackle relocation, and only extended shackles, the shackle will be not be rotated back. It will either be straight or even forward. My 97 XJ came with the factory Up Country package and a P.O. put on extended shackles for another 1.5". The shackles were straight up and down and leafs didn't look so good.

The leafs weren't looking good because he 'lifted' it but did not adjust the bumpstops, so they were being inverted beyond their capability. Not a factor of the shackle, its a factor of the bumpstop and poor engineering.

Shackle length and angle matters for ride and travel, but has ****-all to do with longevity or durability assuming everything is setup right.

Sounds reasonable to me. Most folks who do budget boosts don't seem to bother with bump stops.

While on the subject of lift blocks, what happens to all those pick up trucks with 6" or taller lift blocks?

Nothing. If they have quality leafs or a traction bar, it just doesnt matter. Failures on those rigs tend to come from u-bolts being loose.

My F100 came from the factory with a 4.5" block, a leaf pack, a 1" block, an overload back, then the top plate. 52 years later the leafs are fine...

IMG_1376.jpg

Sounds reasonable to me. Most folks who do budget boosts don't seem to bother with bump stops.

While on the subject of lift blocks, what happens to all those pick up trucks with 6" or taller lift blocks?

A lot of guys running full leafs don't bother with bumps unless they came with the kit.

It's an important part of any lift. And in my opinion should not be overlooked.

Nothing. If they have quality leafs or a traction bar, it just doesnt matter. Failures on those rigs tend to come from u-bolts being loose.

My F100 came from the factory with a 4.5" block, a leaf pack, a 1" block, an overload back, then the top plate. 52 years later the leafs are fine...

Thanks. Nice picture. What year is that F100?

I'd guess 1962 if it's 52years old? Comparing the durability of that monsterous, load carrying, non-flexibl, over load equipped leaf pack with blocks to a tall block under a thin and flexible xj pack is insane though. Lift blocks do increase axle wrap, it's basic physics. Running a traction bar and blocks to reuse stock worn out leaves makes as much sense as running nitrous to make up for running 3.21 gears and 35's. It will work sort of, but will be more expensive and less effective.

I'd guess 1962 if it's 52years old? Comparing the durability of that monsterous, load carrying, non-flexibl, over load equipped leaf pack with blocks to a tall block under a thin and flexible xj pack is insane though. Lift blocks do increase axle wrap, it's basic physics. Running a traction bar and blocks to reuse stock worn out leaves makes as much sense as running nitrous to make up for running 3.21 gears and 35's. It will work sort of, but will be more expensive and less effective.

In the case of an XJ, that is very true.

He was asking about big trucks with blocks. Big trucks come from the factory with blocks, which was my point. My 03 Superduty has a 2.5" factory block in it, and even at 18K pounds on the highway axle wrap is not a problem.

Thanks. Nice picture. What year is that F100?

1962 Ford F100 Shortbed Unibody 4x4. 223ci i6, T98a trans, Spicer model 24 t-case, LP44 front and ford 9 rear.

It was my first car when I was 15. A project with my dad to teach me about cars as well as something for he and I to go camping with.

New-2.jpg

p003245.jpg

p003242.jpg

Here's before restoration. I have a lot of years in this truck.

pic11.jpg

Since Richard and I started racing, it just sat. I couldn't bring myself to sell it, but i was barely starting the engine once a year. One of my best friends (and the team naxja crew chief) 'borrowed' it about 2 years ago and is driving it now. After it became clear the truck had a new home, I ended up just signing it over to him. If we race KOH again you'll find it in our pits as a support rig :)

Is that your jeep posted?

Because I have done the exact same thing with no blocks.

1000 bucks says that machine had no bump stops or they were not properly extended to compensate for the axle drop.

What happened is the springs were over extended and snapped off because of it. I have seen this many times.

I agree. And actually I have had an add a leaf for 2 years now. Still holding up good

There isn't. It's opinion. My shackles work fine. They are almost straight to slightly back. About 1" longer than stock.

My stock shackles were fine also. I had longer shackles at one point but hated them and removed them.

dude, go back to cherokeeforum. hasta

1962 Ford F100 Shortbed Unibody 4x4. 223ci i6, T98a trans, Spicer model 24 t-case, LP44 front and ford 9 rear.

It was my first car when I was 15. A project with my dad to teach me about cars as well as something for he and I to go camping with.

Super nice truck BTW

New-2.jpg

p003245.jpg

p003242.jpg

Here's before restoration. I have a lot of years in this truck.

pic11.jpg

Since Richard and I started racing, it just sat. I couldn't bring myself to sell it, but i was barely starting the engine once a year. One of my best friends (and the team naxja crew chief) 'borrowed' it about 2 years ago and is driving it now. After it became clear the truck had a new home, I ended up just signing it over to him. If we race KOH again you'll find it in our pits as a support rig :)

my axle wrap increased some with 1.5" blocks. But when I went to 36's the axle wrap went past the point of accepable. So a anti wrap bar is on the priority list.

Since the pick up truck leaf springs are more sturdy than the XJ factory original leaf springs, they are OK with lift blocks.

Veering back to the original question, and proposed solutions, lift blocks for stock XJ Cherokee leaf springs are not a good idea.

Last edited:
Since the pick up truck leaf springs are more sturdy than the XJ factory original leaf springs, they are OK with lift blocks.

Veering back to the original question, and proposed solutions, lift blocks for stock XJ Cherokee leaf springs are not a good idea.

Actually they are not the devil people make them out to be. I just did a video of axle wrap from an old xj with 2 in blocks installed. My father's xj. He has been very happy with it for 2 years now. For him it works great. I myself am running 1.5" blocks for over 2 years. It's just a pure wheeler. And I hit the toughest lines outhere.

Are they the best option? No of course not. Do they work? Yes. Are they dangerous? Not in my experience, which is more than most.

I don't want to get in a block argument or anything. But there are a lot of people out there with big misconceptions about them. Cherokee forum guys flip out if you even mention blocks.

Yes they come factory on larger, heavier trucks. It does not mean blocks are only ok for heavy trucks. These trucks are hauling much more and pulling heavier loads.

Cherokees usually do not work near as hard as a truck.

The only reason I defend anti block comments is because they can be a good economical option to lift your jeep for those not wanting a large lift with decent springs already. And because of the block scare out there a lot are robbed of this option.

Anyways I have spoken my peace. ;)

Back