• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BrettM's Manualmatic shifter

Lou said:
Awhile back someone asked about such a thing:

Be able to lock-up the TC through a pushbutton, and have it automatically release when the brake is engaged. Pushbutton needs to be re-pressed to re-lock TC.

I had sketched this ...... requires 2 relays, and a momentary switch

...After thinking about it a while longer, I think your idea is more practical.
My thought of having the TC lock back up automatically after letting-off the brakes could cause the engine stall if done after coming to a complete stop.... bad idea.

CRASH said:
Another neat idea is to have the torque converter unlock while the brake pedal is depressed. Easy enough to wire through Brett's device, through the brake light sensor or auto lock-out switch.

You could even switch the feature on-off depending on if you were in the rocks or just compression braking down the highway.

Be interesting trying to take-off from a stop. Take you foot off the brake and the tc locks up.

Interested parties:

If you want to use Brett's scavanged Atari joysticks you can mount them where the E-Brake goes if you go get foot operated E-Brake controls from an MJ.

lawsoncl said:
Be interesting trying to take-off from a stop. Take you foot off the brake and the tc locks up.

Think of the brake pedal as a clutch pedal, and apply throttle as necessary.

Lou said:
Awhile back someone asked about such a thing:

Be able to lock-up the TC through a pushbutton, and have it automatically release when the brake is engaged. Pushbutton needs to be re-pressed to re-lock TC.

I had sketched this ...... requires 2 relays, and a momentary switch

TC_release_1.jpg

You are a god! I have some pretty good smarts when it comes to electro thingies, but could not get my head around how to do this.

dude brett why arent you getting petersons4wheel mag or someone to headline this, like that STaK monsterbox 3 spd tcase. they were just some guys with the resorces to make a crazy tcase. your in the same boat. apperently no one else has ever had this idea becasue as far as i know, pirate is the biggest and most popular forum and theres nothing about anyone trying to do this themselfs.

CRASH said:
Another neat idea is to have the torque converter unlock while the brake pedal is depressed. Easy enough to wire through Brett's device, through the brake light sensor or auto lock-out switch.

You could even switch the feature on-off depending on if you were in the rocks or just compression braking down the highway.

It'll never work........er, that's how the factory AW4 equipped seetup unlocks the TC, brake activated on my 89.

stupidfast said:
dude brett why arent you getting petersons4wheel mag or someone to headline this, like that STaK monsterbox 3 spd tcase. they were just some guys with the resorces to make a crazy tcase. your in the same boat. apperently no one else has ever had this idea becasue as far as i know, pirate is the biggest and most popular forum and theres nothing about anyone trying to do this themselfs.
that's been a thought, when I get the up/down pushbutton setup ready I'll probably send one free to whatever magazine has that XJ buildup and maybe they'll give it a little free coverage.

cmotsvt said:
How long 'till steering wheel paddle shifter?
I finally got some parts in to start playing with towards that, so hopefully in the next couple weeks. I'm not going to build an actual paddle setup, but I will have electronics that will do up/down shifting from any 2 momentary buttons, so it will easily hook up to paddles and a variety of other things.

BrettM said:
I finally got some parts in to start playing with towards that, so hopefully in the next couple weeks. I'm not going to build an actual paddle setup, but I will have electronics that will do up/down shifting from any 2 momentary buttons, so it will easily hook up to paddles and a variety of other things.
Brett,
I'm working on a homebrew equivalent right now.
I'm going to do it with TTL solid state relays and a sequential flip flop array.
PM me if you want any of my wiring diagrams. I've got the flip flop array and relay setup already done, ust need to wire it to an AW4 that I don't have yet.

"Everything holds as long as you want, when it's in manual it does only what you tell it to. If you stop with the torque convertor locked it will stall the engine. I've heard some people say theirs unlocks just before it stalls, but I don't know what's up with that."

I had that problem with an 88 I messed with. The TC lock would stall the engine in 2nd gear (2nd gear switch "on"), but not with it off. Basically, no TC lock in manual 1st gear, which is where I really wanted it for down hilling.

BTW...nice stuff. I'm building an XJ Stadium truck, and that manual shifter in your avatar looks perfect.

Last edited:
Back