• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BrettM's Manualmatic shifter

txredxj said:
doese it hold as long as you want? i know in 1-2 it red lines 1 and goes to 2 and then im off the gas and waiting for a down shift. another question, with the torque converter locked can you use your brake to stop on a up hill? or do you have to have some good timing with the switch? these are just problems i think there might be but thats all i can think of. i really like that joy-stick, looks really fun.

how long doese it take for you to put a kit together? or is it in stock?

Everything holds as long as you want, when it's in manual it does only what you tell it to. If you stop with the torque convertor locked it will stall the engine. I've heard some people say theirs unlocks just before it stalls, but I don't know what's up with that.

Shipping on these is going to be slow for the rest of April, I'm working way too much then going to be gone for a week. Once May hits I should be able to ship them about a week after ordering, or hopefully actually have some waiting on a shelf.

Hey Brett,

when switched to manual control, does the tranny line pressure increase at all?

BrettM said:
or just wait for some pushbutton options coming soon...

I like the look of the pushbutton shifter and have sort of been holding out to see how it turned out. Any plans for a lower-profile version? I've got a spot in mind for it, but that one looks a bit large for where I want it to go.

casm said:
I like the look of the pushbutton shifter and have sort of been holding out to see how it turned out. Any plans for a lower-profile version? I've got a spot in mind for it, but that one looks a bit large for where I want it to go.
the buttons only require about an inch behind the mounting surface, and you can use any momentary buttons if you found something you liked better. stay tuned, I finally got today some new parts for making the up/down pushbutton, but probably won't have time to mess with them until saturday.

txredxj said:
i was wondering if you put the joy stick in "neutral" does it make the converter unlock?
with the auto/manual joystick, when the stick is in the center area it goes back to fully auto, just like from the factory, so the torque convertor won't be locked unless the factory TCM is telling it to do so. If you want to be able to manually lock the torque convertor while in the auto mode also, I can do that, just let me know.

Brett I noticed in your pic that you have this on a OBDII XJ. I was under the inpression that doing this modd on the OBDII's would throw a code, and light the C/E light. Did you find a way to overcome this, just have to live with it, or am I just talking B/S?

vegas_baja said:
Hey Brett,

when switched to manual control, does the tranny line pressure increase at all?

BrettM said:
no, this is only electronics

You can do a similar mod to the ford aode for manual control of the tranny, but also get full line pressure electronically. Thats why I asked.

scoobyxj said:
Brett I noticed in your pic that you have this on a OBDII XJ. I was under the inpression that doing this modd on the OBDII's would throw a code, and light the C/E light. Did you find a way to overcome this, just have to live with it, or am I just talking B/S?
the light seems unavoidable, I've tried a few ways to trick the ECM and nothing has worked. it doesn't change the performance at all, and after a while in auto it turns back off, or you can disconnect the battery.

Please explain locking and unlocking the torque converter. I am not getting it.

Just thinking out loud here...

What about a "mode" or yet another shifter that allows you to quick switch between first and reverse in order to rock back and forth when required?

Sure, the OEM shift is reaonable for that - if you have one. I was thinking that a column shifter for auto mode and one of these shifters on the floor may be a cool setup. Would be pretty trick in my Scrambler.

Root Moose said:
Just thinking out loud here...

What about a "mode" or yet another shifter that allows you to quick switch between first and reverse in order to rock back and forth when required?

Sure, the OEM shift is reaonable for that - if you have one. I was thinking that a column shifter for auto mode and one of these shifters on the floor may be a cool setup. Would be pretty trick in my Scrambler.
park, reverse, neutral, and drive are all controlled mechanically, my shifters simply control the electronics in the drive position.

Another neat idea is to have the torque converter unlock while the brake pedal is depressed. Easy enough to wire through Brett's device, through the brake light sensor or auto lock-out switch.

You could even switch the feature on-off depending on if you were in the rocks or just compression braking down the highway.

CRASH said:
Another neat idea is to have the torque converter unlock while the brake pedal is depressed. Easy enough to wire through Brett's device, through the brake light sensor or auto lock-out switch.

You could even switch the feature on-off depending on if you were in the rocks or just compression braking down the highway.

That's an awesome idea!

Awhile back someone asked about such a thing:

Be able to lock-up the TC through a pushbutton, and have it automatically release when the brake is engaged. Pushbutton needs to be re-pressed to re-lock TC.

I had sketched this ...... requires 2 relays, and a momentary switch

TC_release_1.jpg

Lou said:
Awhile back someone asked about such a thing:

Be able to lock-up the TC through a pushbutton, and have it automatically release when the brake is engaged. Pushbutton needs to be re-pressed to re-lock TC.

I had sketched this ...... requires 2 relays, and a momentary switch

TC_release_1.jpg

Not knowing anything other than what I have read here... it looks as though the lockup is actuated with a simple toggle switch. Couldn't you then place a relay between the toggle and the TC (or whatever the toggle leads to), using normal connected mode, that would then disconnect when pressing the brake pedal? This would, theoretically in my mind, make the TC lock-up again when you release the brake. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
meatplow5150 said:
Not knowing anything other than what I have read here... it looks as though the lockup is actuated with a simple toggle switch. Couldn't you then place a relay between the toggle and the TC (or whatever the toggle leads to), using normal connected mode, that would then disconnect when pressing the brake pedal? This would, theoretically in my mind, make the TC lock-up again when you release the brake. Any thoughts?

x2 on being way sweet.

Back