• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

break upgrade

your pads could be glazed. should be 5 slow full stops from 10, 10 slow stops from 30. then use with care for a dy or so., and for you, bob, probably not a bad booster, try sprying some electro-sensor cleaner in your manifold vac booster hole.

on my laptop b and a are bust. must cut and paste b's and a's think about how many that is, in just this post.

Bob Myers said:
I presume i seated them correctly, same method i've used for years on roundy rounder cars and drag cars and other peoples street cars and trucks. A couple of really hard stops-near lockup point from about 35mph, then a long slow stop from about 50, a few more hard quick stops using max pedal. Never let hot brakes come to a complete stop, nor hold the brakes at a stop if they are hot, shift to park or nuetral until time to move again.Holding hot brakes at a standstill deposits minute amounts of brake friction material on rotors and drums and decreases effective stopping power.

x2
I usually do it till they smell, well on my track car at least

Last edited:
I am talking high performance pads, they need to off gas to bed in correctly (carbon kevlar pads)

I believe there was a post, not long ago, about a front disc upgrade to bigger discs with new calipers, coming from Australia??? with my understanding of brakes, and my experience with upgrading from an 11 inch rotor to 12.5 inch rotor up front ( on another vehicle), I think you will get more improvement with front rotor upsizing, as opposed to just swapping on rear discs. Don't get me wrong, I like rear discs, but I think the results will be more impressive with bigger front rotors.

GoJeep got the kit made up. Guy is on ebay.au

EricT said:
GoJeep got the kit made up. Guy is on ebay.au

I am not selling them but the company that gave me all the machinery and contacts needed for me the design and build them is. ;)
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/300mm-brake-upgrade-Jeep-XJ-ZJ-ZG-TJ-Wrangler-Rubicon_W0QQitemZ130023084728QQihZ003QQcategoryZ102339QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

DiscBrakes%20122.jpg

See my site on all the fitting etc. www.go.jeep-xj.info There was also agroup buy going on too to get 10 sets to the US but the are still one short last I heard? Think it was I this thread.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=89157

Bob Myers said:
As it is the brake actually feels like it is bottoming out on the floor, it isn't i have checked. When i did the new rear shoes and cylinders the pedal went a lot farther down than it does now, when bleeding-so i am reasonably sure i'm not on the floor or out of travel. it just goes to a point and gets hard, yet won't hold the wheels stopped if you gas it even just a little. Would a better booster help there or would a master cylinder with more displacement be better?

It sounds like you didnt adjust the rear brakes after your new brakes install. If the rear brakes are adjusted right you will have a high and firm feeling pedal. I hope this helps.

Winks00XJ said:
It sounds like you didnt adjust the rear brakes after your new brakes install. If the rear brakes are adjusted right you will have a high and firm feeling pedal. I hope this helps.
Yessir, rears are adjusted. New drums too, both sides. one of the drums had some deep grooves from PO, other looked like it had been turned. These are premium drums from NAPA, not high silicon el-cheapo from Autozone. I would think that with everything in the rear new, including the fluid, and fresh pads and straight rotors up front it would at least slide the rear wheels in 2wd in a panic type stop- but it won't.

John B said:
Marcus, is your kit the same as VANCO here in the states is advertising?
No my friend. He did contact me and said he was making something the same as my design after he saw my build up thread.

Grand Cherokee brakes

A friend has a wrecked 94 Grand. It is a drum rear brake. Would the fronts be better than what is under the 92 Xj now? Would it be a worthwile swap without doing the rear at the same time?

Back