• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BleepinJeep's Project Scorpion Crawler Build Thread

I'm just saying you could build one hell of a rig and you'd still get "know it all's" nit-picking your stuff that you busted your ass building it the way YOU like. Yea sure he could get tons, bigger breaks, and a ton of other things, but you know that it costs a lot of money. Imo I would run the 44 with disks and call it a day then you wouldn't need new drive shafts and a bunch of other bs.

And our 4.0s don't put out enough horses to really get the one ton axles going. Your going to wast all your power in the rear end. I'm sure you could regear them but why not just get quality gears and find the right ratio for the 44 and run that beotch!! He could get tons, then some one would find some thing wrong with that lol.

I'm just saying you could build one hell of a rig and you'd still get "know it all's" nit-picking your stuff that you busted your ass building it the way YOU like. Yea sure he could get tons, bigger breaks, and a ton of other things, but you know that it costs a lot of money. Imo I would run the 44 with disks and call it a day then you wouldn't need new drive shafts and a bunch of other bs.

Ummm, building a D44 still costs a lot of money, especially when doing things like:

TJ D44 front w/ RCV's and custom double shear knuckles, TMR customs truss, and customized TMR 4 link brackets, with Ox locker and e-selector.

The only thing that's really that much cheaper, is the initial axle purchase. Those RCV's will still be weaker than stock 35 spline D60 inner and some 35 spline outer shafts.

Believe me, when I was going through my build, a D44 front was initially my plan.

And I'm not sure you've read through his spec sheet, but he will be needing new driveshafts with the stretch.

I wouldn't call what's been said "know it all" and "nit picky".

I'd call it solid advice from people who've "been there and done that"

And our 4.0s don't put out enough horses to really get the one ton axles going. Your going to wast all your power in the rear end. I'm sure you could regear them but why not just get quality gears and find the right ratio for the 44 and run that beotch!! He could get tons, then some one would find some thing wrong with that lol.

Maybe not like a V8, but my 4.0L will get my 40" stickies turning with NO problem. Not really sure about the rest of what you wrote there :confused:

1) the snout of a 44 is longer than a 30 so you would have to shorten your drive shaft doing a 44 swap.

2) it has nothing to do with just doing a disk swap on the rear. have you seen one ton calipers compared to half ton?

3) 4.0 has plenty of torque for bigger axles. you need to regear anyways. axles are not automatic transmission where you lose power in them. youre going to get the same dyno reading from a 44 that you would from a 14 bolt that both have the same drivetrain and tire size.

maybe go read some build threads in advance fab and get a idea before you "know it all"

All the stuff to rebuild the axles that are made for the xj will be cheaper then building/fabricating the D60 to fit under the jeep also gears for a D60 are way bigger then a D44 which = more money. Another thing to worry about is the bolt pattern on the one tons

My tired 200k 4.0 still pulls my 42's good, and there's not a single downside to running 39's on a 60

All the stuff to rebuild the axles that are made for the xj will be cheaper then building/fabricating the D60 to fit under the jeep also gears for a D60 are way bigger then a D44 which = more money. Another thing to worry about is the bolt pattern on the one tons
All aftermarket mounts cost the same regardless if it's for a 44 or 60. Bolt pattern ain't a issue either, hummer H2 wheels can be had for cheap as well as steelies.

My tired 200k 4.0 still pulls my 42's good, and there's not a single downside to running 39's on a 60

All aftermarket mounts cost the same regardless if it's for a 44 or 60. Bolt pattern ain't a issue either, hummer H2 wheels can be had for cheap as well as steelies.

Yup, exactly.

What you come to find, is usually yes some of the D60 stuff is more expensive, but not THAT much more.

Wheels are a cheap item.

But when it comes to fabricating mounts, there's not going to be really any difference between D44 and D60.

The difference between the D44 and D60 isn't something magical, the D60 is as it seems...just a larger beefier version of a D44 for the most part.

Like a lot of you guys I spent countless hours reading everything I could find on this subject...60 or 44? I think what got the paradigm started that you have to have tons to run anything over 35's was the guys who ran the big rigs back in the day had the most influence and in turn the most credibility so everyone just followed suit. Can you imagine how much slack the first guy who said "I'm planning on hanging a 60 and 14 bolt under my unibody XJ" took. I can hear it now..... "That's just silly you gotta have a frame to run those axles". Now I'm not saying that you should run 42's on a Dana 44 but I am suggesting you can successfully run "Biggish" tires on 1/2 - 3/4 ton equipment. Anyway.... When I started on my XJ build I went out and bought a 60/14 and the guy loaded them on my truck with his end loader. Drove around with them for 2 weeks in the bed because I couldn't get enough buddies gathered up at one time to get them into the garage. As I drove around with these things I thought about how I might move them around or more importantly how would I get them under my Jeep without additional help or equipment. Long story short I sold them to another guy and he unloaded them with his end loader. So time for a new plan and after a bunch of reading I decided on a 79 F250 front axle. I lightened my rig as much as possible, invested in a set of RCV's and a Detroit. Did alot of reading on COG and moved some weight forward of center-line, dropped it to 4.5 inches of lift, cut 8lbs of rubber off each tire and bought Aluminum Beadlocks (My 39.5 and rim weights 104lbs each, my buddies 43's and 12 bolt Hummer wheel with rock rings weights close to 200lbs each). My goal was to not just run with the 1 Ton guys in my club but to out perform them. That's been a year now and I couldn't be happier with my decision..... I wheel the crap out of it and it climbs like it's possessed. :)
I apologize for this being so long but wanted to share my experiences for those who are interested.

Will you stop hijacking this thread with your Ill informed opinions.

Hijacking?? I was simply giving the guy props for posting HIS build thread out here. Your the one hijacking saying that he needs to do this and that and everything else. Let the man build his jeep the way he wants

Hijacking?? I was simply giving the guy props for posting HIS build thread out here. Your the one hijacking saying that he needs to do this and that and everything else. Let the man build his jeep the way he wants

Hikacking...nah, just giving advice.

He's more than free to do what he wants.

As far as us posting...welcome to the internet :laugh:

Whether it's here, Pirate, CherokeeForum, etc...you're going to get the same stuff :D

Hikacking...nah, just giving advice.

He's more than free to do what he wants.

As far as us posting...welcome to the internet :laugh:

Whether it's here, Pirate, CherokeeForum, etc...you're going to get the same stuff :D

Yup no matter what everyone has their opinion of whats "right" when in reallity with these kind of things, there are many different ways to do things. It all depends on how you use it.

There are other threads to argue about tire size and axle size and whatever. The op isnt even participting in this. Thats the problem. Just because its the status quo why continue perpetuating the problem. This forum should be a place for constructive criticisim not pissing contests. Take your aguments elsewhere.

I subscribed to this thread so i could see the build. Instead i have 20 fricking notifications a day with this bull crap.

Last edited:
Enough opinions about his axles have been expressed, and it is cluttering the heck out of his build thread. Let's not run him off, there's a lot of other good info and pics here that will add value to the forum. I, for one, hope he continues to post his progress. I'm sure he'll report back on how the axles hold up, let's give him that opportunity- we might learn something.

Back