• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilstein 7100 custom valving - leaf springs

call scott @ deaver, they are supposed to come with them when you buy them.

if they don't just give them to you, call me up and i'll go get you a set. they are $40 cash and i can ship them for a dollar or two.

Just called Scott, bushings on the way.. I also have Energy Suspension part numbers to reference for poly bushings, but it looks like you need to piece a few different part numbers together.

For what its worth, I have never worn out a set of bushings before I felt like the leafs themselves were in need of a rebuild (a full season of racing), so I wouldn't really worry about the energy bushings.

When you get the bushings, there is a wider pair and a narrower pair. hard to tell the difference unless you assemble them off of the leafs (they are 2 peice) and compare side by side.

The wide pair goes up front. You can put the jeep together with them backward, but the shackles will be a bitch to bolt up.

For what its worth, I have never worn out a set of bushings before I felt like the leafs themselves were in need of a rebuild (a full season of racing), so I wouldn't really worry about the energy bushings.

When you get the bushings, there is a wider pair and a narrower pair. hard to tell the difference unless you assemble them off of the leafs (they are 2 peice) and compare side by side.

The wide pair goes up front. You can put the jeep together with them backward, but the shackles will be a bitch to bolt up.

Good to know.

Shackles are on their way. Bryson at Boostworks was extremely helpful and quick in getting a custom length set to me. I will definitely be buying a set for my other XJ in the future.

Good to know.

Shackles are on their way. Bryson at Boostworks was extremely helpful and quick in getting a custom length set to me. I will definitely be buying a set for my other XJ in the future.

Yeah he offered to do us a set, but with our bronco leafs and funky rear hanger, there was no way to make his setup work so we didn't waste his time.

IMG_20140118_142939005_zpsemjwt3cy.jpg

Got the springs in. Shackles did not work out. The rear axle would move 2" side to side with the extra length.

I threw the old 1" shackle back on. With the axle free hanging I'm pulling about 9" of down travel. With the long shackle I got all 12" as expected.

Flexing out I still pull all 12" with the the short shackle. I'm going to pull the sway bar up front off as it seems the rear is doing all the work with the new springs.

Some pics.

Long shackle

5325fbd76e00c5e4eebe738e4f6ac257.jpg

2be0c9374bf992a51d047f7729c5645a.jpg
f016998decfc001416a27b19dd8e6adb.jpg

Short shackle

0831a263e4db90e49945bbb7cc06ad3b.jpg
e5e72b5189ca94fc39d181bfbfc87dfb.jpg
8029d4901bc9f12c8ed5aa4305cc44cf.jpg

As you can see I have lost about an inch of up travel going to the deavers. The shocks are not charged either so I'm assuming that will probably bump it up another 1/2".

I'm going out of town, I'll revalve the shocks and get the shaft bumps on next week.

Another build thread.. Shamu rebuild

Figured I'd copy my post from the jeepspeed forum here for an update

Got the springs in. Shackles did not work out. The rear axle would move 2" side to side with the extra length.

I threw the old 1" shackle back on. With the axle free hanging I'm pulling about 9" of down travel. With the long shackle I got all 12" as expected.

Flexing out I still pull all 12" with the the short shackle. I'm going to pull the sway bar up front off as it seems the rear is doing all the work with the new springs.

Some pics.

Long shackle

Short shackle

As you can see I have lost about an inch of up travel going to the deavers. The shocks are not charged either so I'm assuming that will probably bump it up another 1/2".

I'm going out of town, I'll revalve the shocks and get the shaft bumps on next week.

Another build thread.. Shamu rebuild

Figured I'd copy my post from the jeepspeed forum in here for an update.

Some pics.

Long shackle

Short shackle

Wow I screwed that up...

Revalved the shocks and went for a drive. Wow what a difference! Does not feel like leafs in the rear.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be able to take it out and test it at speed in the rough stuff.

i'm excited to hear your feedback when you do

Ran a local event this weekend, basically a scavenger hunt/rally. Route takes 6 hours, we did it in 2 hours flat with no GPS. The next jeeps that hit every checkpoint pulled in about 2 hours after us.

I ran the event with 6" of up travel in the front and kept the center limit strap on because I forgot to unhook it. Shocks faded twice on a couple long stretches of 50mph through 1.5' whoops. They cooled down quick enough. I think I'm going to try to add more fluid to the front's and try to drop the pressure. I think this will help with the heat. I'm sure leaving that limit strap on didn't help things.

The rear Deavers did awesome, looks like I lost about 1" of height though. Feels like I could have a little more compression in the rear. I'm at 275/100 currently with 300psi. Suspension felt fairly well balanced, a lot better than it did before.

Bottom line.. Deavers are worth the money, wish I had a little more height though.. Amazing the difference from what I had before.

Are you already running a longer shackle/shackle relo. brackets?

yeah we ran a longer shackle to make up the height. I dunno what our shock valving is but I can tell you its stiffer than that :)

We arent. Initially Bilstien tuned our shocks for us free, but later we paid Wayne at Alltech Motorsports to tune them for us, which as it turns out was the best money we ever spent. Both entities provided all the parts.

We arent. Initially Bilstien tuned our shocks for us free, but later we paid Wayne at Alltech Motorsports to tune them for us, which as it turns out was the best money we ever spent. Both entities provided all the parts.

I might send Wayne a message

I'm going to order up some shims tomorrow. Going to try 180/135 vs the 255/100 that is currently in the shocks.

I've also cut up the shackles that didn't work out to be approximately 2" lift and burned in poly bushings vs the joints.

Have any of you loosened up the shackle bolts and double nutted them to help with rebound?

Back