• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best year to purchase: Already searched

bacelaw said:
Dont think people are down on them...but, it's 2006 - difficult to find a 84-86 XJ that is still decent enough to be your daily driver....most of them have no floor pans....or have 200+ miles on the clock....at least that's the way it is here in the northeast - i went searching for one before I purchased my 96

I can definitely see that.... Most people seem to beat their XJs up. Since we've had this one since day 1.....I've been treating it with kid gloves. Only 159,000....immaculate interior.... The exterior is chopped though. The paint really faded.....and the salt definitely took it's toll. But that is about to be history. Paint shop here we come!!

As for the 4.0 comment...... Well, since I'm still learning my way around an engine, I appreciate the simplicity....the gas milage.....and the cheap repairs.

bacelaw said:
Dont think people are down on them...but, it's 2006 - difficult to find a 84-86 XJ that is still decent enough to be your daily driver....most of them have no floor pans....or have 200+ miles on the clock....at least that's the way it is here in the northeast - i went searching for one before I purchased my 96

Frankly, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of '84-'86 XJ's that I've seen in the past month...

Even the late 80's are becoming scarce around here. Too much rust. And, only pickemups last any longer!

Den

"The 84-86 are worthless with the 2.8-liter engine, I don't think they made the 4.0 those years, could be wrong though."

I wouldn't say that!

I have an '86, 2.8 liter, 4 speed (original owner) and I love it. 81,000 local miles and only changed slave and master cylinders twice. Only problem is the oil leak (probably a seal). After 20 years it and after being totaled in '95 it has a right to leak oil!

Ken C.

They are all good. Look for the best vehicle for your money. Find the newest with the lowest miles that has been well cared for (ie maintenance records) and driven lightly.

They are all good. Look for the best vehicle for your money. Find the newest with the lowest miles that has been well cared for (ie maintenance records) and driven lightly. Any excentricities that your particular vehicle may have can be worked out. If you start with a good solid vehicle your problems will be few and with regular upkeep iit will last a long time.

Electrichorseman said:
I have an '86, 2.8 liter, 4 speed (original owner) and I love it. 81,000 local miles and only changed slave and master cylinders twice. Only problem is the oil leak (probably a seal). After 20 years it and after being totaled in '95 it has a right to leak oil!

Ken C.

Then consider yourself lucky! The GM 2.8L is among the most-scorned car engines ever made! I had an '84 Oldsmobile with one, and it cause me no trouble. But my dad had an '82 S-10, and the CAMSHAFT WORE OUT at 30k miles. Yes, that was a "bad batch of parts"... but the engine was known for such things.

Contrast that with the Jeep 4.0L, which is known as one of the most-durable engines out there. Plus the rest of the drivetrain (AX-5 and/or AW4) is sturdier on the 4-liters, too.

And then there's the whole 110hp versus 190 argument....

Den

JeepDawg said:
Out of curiosity, why do some people disparage the 84-86 XJs? I have an 85 2.5/4.0 and I love this thing! My father bought it new in '85 and it's still running strong.

Plus, it's good on gas...and the repairs are some of the easiest around....which translates into cheaper repairs. Sure, you're not going to win any races with it.....but you will certainly not get any speeding tickets either! :sunshine:

Also, I agree with others who commented that Chrysler cheapened Cherokees! When I compare even my upholstery with newer model XJs, I'm not impressed.:puke:

As the predecessor to the modern day SUV, I think this little tanks deserve a place in history!!!!:cheers:

I'll second that!!!!!

Ken C.
'88 Cherokee, '86 Cherokee (original owner), '42 Willys (not original owner)

I'm the proud owner of an '85 with the 2.5 engine and manual 5-speed. Down here rust is not really a problem and it's amazing to see what that little engine can do. I have been playing some in the mud with guys in newer and bigger 4x4's and have never had any problems keeping up.

DenLip said:
Then consider yourself lucky! The GM 2.8L is among the most-scorned car engines ever made! I had an '84 Oldsmobile with one, and it cause me no trouble. But my dad had an '82 S-10, and the CAMSHAFT WORE OUT at 30k miles. Yes, that was a "bad batch of parts"... but the engine was known for such things.

Contrast that with the Jeep 4.0L, which is known as one of the most-durable engines out there. Plus the rest of the drivetrain (AX-5 and/or AW4) is sturdier on the 4-liters, too.

And then there's the whole 110hp versus 190 argument....

Den
One thing about the 2.8L Cherokees is that there aren't that many still on the road.

Back