• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best year to purchase: Already searched

Thanks for the input guys. I believe this thread wil benefit alot of people looking for their first purchase. I know it has helped me. Well, off hunting a cherokee. Oh, by the way, I ended up winning some cash at the poker game last night. This will go into a kiddy for mods. Again thanks for your responses, very helpfull.

Chris

I have a 1990 Laredo. I drove a few newer XJs before I bought the 90. I think that mine is much more comfortable than the newer jeeps i drove. I think that it handles better. The part time 4 wheel drive works out very well for me in the winter, and I live in the UP where we get A LOT of snow and the roads don't really get plowed too well. I rarely have to throw it into full time 4. I also think that the non HO renix engine is the way to go. I have driven it the 300+ miles to Illinois several times, and it always has gotten me there with no problems.

I love my '89 2dr. I'll take the RENIX system XJ's any day. A few basic tools and some troubleshooting skills are all you need to keep the system alive.

I'm not a big fan of surrendering problem resolution to computers. I too have seen them all too often indicate the wrong system at fault. Besides, they are staring to get really cheap to buy and get/keep going.

I've got an old 4cyl/4spd '85 beater that we are trying to see if we can break. Still going strong, and we aren't easy on it.

But mine's not a DD, only to, on, and from the trails.

YMMV

bacelaw said:

I drove a 99.5 jetta tdi with abs for 114k miles and can count on one hand how many times they came on. And some when I was testing it. Also the wheel speed sensors might not like mud all over them.

JoBo

I paid $500 for my '90 a little over two years ago. I've put about that much back in it. I'm currently replacing the floors but I could probabaly get away with patching them, but I plan on keeping this thing 'til I can't get parts anymore.
I find it a dependable ride, great to sleep in if I'm camping and an all around fun vehicle, yes they have their quirks, but nothing I can't live with.

non-stick said:
I'm not a big fan of surrendering problem resolution to computers. I too have seen them all too often indicate the wrong system at fault. Besides, they are staring to get really cheap to buy and get/keep going.
YMMV

Many people make this mistake because they dont understand the fact that the computer diagnotics on a vehicle is only meant to be a starting point and give an idea of whats wrong, not tell you exactly what part is broken.

Now that I've just gotten my third XJ, and the 6th in the immediate family (87,95, 99 for me, 93 for stepson, 96 for son, 88 for Xwife) I have a few observations:

All years of the 4.0 and the AW4 transmission seem to be good. The first year, 87, did not have the usual first-year teething problems. 91-up cooling systems are a little less quirky.

The Peugeot 5-speed transmissions in the early 4.0's are poorly regarded. The internal slave cylinder is a big hassle to replace, and expensive. But I think the fault of the transmission is more one of toughness than of quality, and in road use they often seem to last all right.

Sometime in the early 90's they improved the brake booster. The brakes on the 87 were pretty poor. By 93 they'd gotten significantly better.

The choice between Renix and Chrysler electronics is pretty much a toss up, but the Chrysler diagnostics are at least occasionally accurate, and that's useful. Both are pretty reliable, the Chrysler sensors perhaps a bit more long-lived than the Renix. My 95 has never thrown a code, but the 93 had a couple, and the codes did help. OBDII starts in 96. Renix engine computers had a tendency to cause FM radio interference. It varies with the radio. I read that there's an upgrade, but it's not a recall: you have to buy the new computer.

It seems to me that mid-year models such as my 95 suffered from slightly less careful body construction - subtly wrinkly panels, poorer fit, and more rust, especially the rocker panels. The 87 and 88 seemed tighter and rusted less quickly. The 99 seems to be beefier, less flexy and rattly off road, and feels bigger on the road.

Some of the earlier Chrysler-era 4.0's have somewhat annoying piston slap. This doesn't affect durability - my 95 is happily slapping away at 260K miles - but the lack of it is a plus. The 93 slaps too. The 96 and 99 don't. The 87 and 88 didn't either.

The post 97 version suffers in some areas of interior accommodations. No door pockets, no little shelves, tiny glove box, no place to put stuff. But it has cup holders.

I never liked the steering column design on the 95, and the intermittent wipers were not as nice as the 87. They changed from Saginaw to Mopar columns in 95, I think. The little horn buttons are virtually worthless when you actually need the horn in a hurry. The 99 is nicer.

The power steering on early 4.0's is overboosted. Nice for parking, but less so on the road.

They redesigned the handbrake in 97, moving the mounting points for the cables, and it's vastly improved. If you drive a manual this is important if, like me, you dislike parking in gear. I love the 99 for this!

If you do not have working air conditioning, an earlier model with opening vent windows is nice. The AC on my 99 doesn't work, and I have yet to see how its vents and windows will work if it doesn't recover with a cheap recharge.

Seats vary with model, but my 87 Pioneer had the semi-deluxe cloth seats with a tilting base. They were the best seats I've ever had. Superb for long trips. Seats changed in 95, and again later, I think. They're tolerable, but not as good. Older power seats are said to be pretty unreliable.

Later roof racks are a little better designed, easier to adjust, and seem less likely to leak.

The steel gas tanks on pre-97 models are prone to rusting out. But the external fuel filter is a plus.

My 95, despite some faults and advancing age, has been about as dependable as any vehicle can be.

Input on my first thread is amazing. Thanks for the replies. Currently looking at a 99 with 130,000 on the clock. Price varies here, after the hurricane. Car prices went up minumum 20%. Truck and SUV prices went up more than that. Prices I'm looking at are 4500 to 5400. Just worried about mileage, anything with less than 115,000 is just ridiculous.

You may not have the problem down by you, but check the floorboards for rust. I just picked up a 96. Thanks for this thread, I knew more about Wranglers, but needed help w/ XJs.

As a lot of folks on this forum will probably tell you, a 4.0 with 130k is just getting broken in! Seriously though, as long as it was maintained reasonably well, it's probably not even halfway through it's lifespan. If you're really worried about it, I guess you could do a compression check on it.

Thanks for everyones input. Well, I wrecked my bmw friday @ lunch. Went and bought a 97 4WD country edition. 130,000 miles well maintained and clean. It has 235/75/15's and D35(anti-lock). Replaced plugs (autolite copper core), plug wires (auto zone), and cap/rotor (brass from napa). Looking for upgrades now. Oh, the price $5k out the door, I think I did OK.
Thanks again, to everyone.

I have a '97, nicer ride than my dad's '95, but if I knew better I would have gone with a '98 because it has the new manifold without the coil packs. But as long as you take care of it its going to run forever regardless of the year.

I got a 96' country with 114kon the clock for $2250. The only 'major' maintaince i had to do was replacing the water pump. I just ordered an upgraded radiator for the hot days and hills... but that was more for peace of mind than necessity.

Out of curiosity, why do some people disparage the 84-86 XJs? I have an 85 2.5/4.0 and I love this thing! My father bought it new in '85 and it's still running strong.

Plus, it's good on gas...and the repairs are some of the easiest around....which translates into cheaper repairs. Sure, you're not going to win any races with it.....but you will certainly not get any speeding tickets either! :sunshine:

Also, I agree with others who commented that Chrysler cheapened Cherokees! When I compare even my upholstery with newer model XJs, I'm not impressed.:puke:

As the predecessor to the modern day SUV, I think this little tanks deserve a place in history!!!!:cheers:

JeepDawg said:
Out of curiosity, why do some people disparage the 84-86 XJs? I have an 85 2.5/4.0 and I love this thing! My father bought it new in '85 and it's still running strong.

Plus, it's good on gas...and the repairs are some of the easiest around....which translates into cheaper repairs. Sure, you're not going to win any races with it.....but you will certainly not get any speeding tickets either! :sunshine:

Also, I agree with others who commented that Chrysler cheapened Cherokees! When I compare even my upholstery with newer model XJs, I'm not impressed.:puke:

As the predecessor to the modern day SUV, I think this little tanks deserve a place in history!!!!:cheers:

Dont think people are down on them...but, it's 2006 - difficult to find a 84-86 XJ that is still decent enough to be your daily driver....most of them have no floor pans....or have 200+ miles on the clock....at least that's the way it is here in the northeast - i went searching for one before I purchased my 96

Wow, My first thread and still going. Any way ended up buying a 97 classic, 4wd, 130,000 miles, $5000. Changed oil o-ring, oil, front diff fluid, rear diff fluid, tranny fluid, and transfer case fluid. Oil pressure went to 10psi hot idle,damn traffic and 98 degree heat. Ended up putting 15w-50 mobil one in it , it'll hold it a few months till I can change oil pump. Oh, did I mention rear end started whining. Well found a XJ D44 for $130. Will be putting that in a few weeks.

Thanks for all the help and info guys.
Chris

Back