• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Transfer case Skid???

Red97XJ said:
hey guys, what do you think about the Tomken. It is alot cheaper in price.... same for protection?

Right now, since I have a 242, I am thinking XJnation.

I have the Tomken and I had looked into the XJNation which is very similar. I am very happy with it especially for the price. It's taken some pretty good hits too since I'm still at stock height. It's not as beefy as the Carolina Rock Shop one but unless you're super hard core in the rocks, I think you'd be fine with the Tomken.

Look at the skid row plates, i have one and have used it on several trails. (oops)

Very solid.

man, this is harder than I thought. I want to keep the price around the 150 mark.... give or take, so far, here is what I am thinking. Rusty's is cheapest, but looks pretty small.

The Tomken looks nice,
The XJnation looks BIG and nice, (thickness?)
The Skidrow looks nice and beefy.

Got pics of the above?

Who am I missing? Any body have a story of a TC skid failing? Who's and how?

Last question, if you were me, what would ya do?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your opinion and effort.
Jason

DPGs will NOT work with the 242. have talked to him personally about it and from what we talked about modding it would be a waste of time and money. im in the same boat and looking for something that will work for the 242 and am just about pissed enough that a friend welds and im going to learn and do it how I want it.

-jpx3

if it was a "POLL", which would you vote for, keeping in mind that I am not hardcore rock crawler (live in Indiana), and I want to keep the price down.

1. Skidrow
2. Tomken
3. XJNation
4. Rusty's

Thanks guys,
Jason

I have a Skid Row unit. It's nice and works well, but I'd rather use a skid that goes all the way across the framerails for the added support.

Man, I ashamed to say I am STILL looking for a TC skid (I started this thread way back).

Anybody else made a new one that I have not seen/been mentioned yet?

Does anyone have anymore input. I feel very indecisive on this.... The thousands I have spent on JP to this point has gone easy! I am getting way braver off road, need to buy these skids!

Thanks for ANY input ya got!
Jason

Any one know a price on the Carolina Rock shop one? It is not on there web page.

Red97XJ said:
Man, I ashamed to say I am STILL looking for a TC skid (I started this thread way back).

Anybody else made a new one that I have not seen/been mentioned yet?

Does anyone have anymore input. I feel very indecisive on this.... The thousands I have spent on JP to this point has gone easy! I am getting way braver off road, need to buy these skids!

Thanks for ANY input ya got!
Jason

Any one know a price on the Carolina Rock shop one? It is not on there web page.

if you really want to keep the price down, just go with rusty's. Your looking for a T-case skid and thats what it will do, protect it. Being in Indiana im sure it would be fine for your needs. If you were in CA or AZ or some other place that is basically ALL rocks i would suggest another, but for your application and price range, go with Rusty's or Skid Row(They are basically the same right?)

Brett

So to throw a mix on this, do any of these skids work with a tcase drop? Im liking the tnt customs skid, and I know that their long arms has a 1'' drop built into it, so would their skid work? How about the DPG/Rocklizard?

I recently installed a Tomken from an XJ on my MJ. It works and the install was easy but the spacers on the frame rails and to a lesser extent the crossmember seem to make it hang down too far so I cut the frame rail spacers off and it tucks up nicely.

Going by the picture on Quadratec's ad, it doesn't look like it goes all the way across. I have a 231 with a Tomken skid and have knocked it pretty good and it's held up well. I was looking at Rusty's but after getting a gift cert. for Quad. last Christmas, I went with the Tomken's. Don't think either would have been a bad choice.

Last edited:
I made my own and yesterday I tested it. Works awesome. All 1/4" plate. It's the design of XJnation and DPG Offroad. I suggest that style as it doesn't rely totally on the stock crossmember for support.

CIMG2262.JPG

Timmay said:
I made my own and yesterday I tested it. Works awesome. All 1/4" plate. It's the design of XJnation and DPG Offroad. I suggest that style as it doesn't rely totally on the stock crossmember for support.

skid looks nice. got any more pictures of it?

winch_011_op_800x600.jpg

winch_010_op_800x600.jpg

All my skids are made from 3/16" steel plate with textured black finish. I have produced this skid for over 5 years now with great success, and If you PM or email me all NAXJA forum members get free shipping till end of summer so total cost shipped to lower 48 will be only 149.00

winch_007_op_800x533.jpg

winch_009_op_800x600.jpg

This is the new GT skid and will fit all years of xj from 84 to 01 and Zj's as well

same thing on it free shipping for naxja members 179.00 total shipped till sept

just send me a PM or email and I will send you a paypal request. I am trying to stock a minium of 10 each. both these skids are mounted on a 99 xj

Back