• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best spot to measure pinion angle on 8.25?

jamiemac

NAXJA Forum User
Quite a while back, I put an AA SYE on My NP231. When I measured My pinion angle, I couldn't get a consistent reading with My angle finder. I'm running about 3'' of lift so I eyeballed it the best I could. Went with 2.5 degree shims on My spring pack. I am however getting more vibes than I did before the lift. They are pretty mild, and I can hear it more than feel it through the body of the Jeep.

I think I need a more accurate reading of the angle. The best spot on the 8.25 to measure I guess would be the pinion yoke? I have replaced My yoke with one of the heavy duty U bolt style sold by Jeff at justdifferentials. It's possible that I could get a more consistent measurement of the new yoke.

If anybody knows of a particular spot on the 8.25 that has a better surface to measure from, I would sure appreciate the info.

Mac

Best spot is the 2 machined "flats" on either side of the diff cover.Since you replaced the yoke I tend to think the vibes might be coming from that install.How did you set the pinion pre-load when you installed the new yoke?

Best spot is the 2 machined "flats" on either side of the diff cover.Since you replaced the yoke I tend to think the vibes might be coming from that install.How did you set the pinion pre-load when you installed the new yoke?
Vibe was there before the yoke replacement. Yoke was replaced because I broke a strap bolt in the old one, and just decided to go with the better yoke. Pinion pre-load was ok before, so torquing the new yoke to 150 pounds is enough to put the bearings back in the same specs without crushing the crush sleeve any more.

Back