• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

benefit of 4.0L strokers

60thAnivrsryXJ said:
Are you guys drag racing your jeeps or somthing, seriously why do you give a fawk about horsepower. If I wanted to drive a suv that was powerful I'd borrow my mom's trailblazer (275hp inline 6). I had my jeep on a chassis dyno last week and the 135rwhp and 195 lb ft of torque it measured satisfies me just fine. I would rather spend my money on a more things to make my jeep hold up on off road trips than stroking the engine. That's just my opinion and I know I opened up a can of worms but I had to say it.

What did they give you a free dyno pull? Speaking of not wasting money on useless stuff.

CRASH said:
That's the beuty of a Renix stroker, the knock sensor takes care of any knocking issues. I run 9.5 to 1 compression, and run 87 octane all the time with no pinging. Since I live at 3,000 feet and wheel much higher I shouldn't have any detonation issues any way. Occasionally I do long road trips at sea level with no issues either.

It IS possible to run the same gas and an even higher CR without needing a knock sensor but that dictates using longer rods (with custom forged pistons), an aluminium head, longer duration camshaft, and keeping the quench tight (~0.040"). Obviously that adds to the cost of the stroker build-up but if you want to maximize performance and use 87 octane, it's definitely the way to go.

tompatjr said:
What did they give you a free dyno pull? Speaking of not wasting money on useless stuff.

Yes as a matter of fact it was free. I had assumed thats what everyone did. The thought never crossed my mind of paying to dyno a Jeep. I had access to a chassis dyno at school for a class I took. So I dynoed it for fun. We also dynoed a sidekick that made 70hp and a datsun that made 35hp. It was all for fun though.

Back