• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beating a dead horse, headlights

So technically the rampage, hella, ipf, are legal? Or can a cop get me on technicality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depends on whether or not they conform to the standards.
its on the MFG and you to prove that they do.
the MFGs stamp DOT on their products as an indication that they did the testing and fulfilled the necessary requirements.

if you run something without the DOT stamp the onus is on you. if they are within the guidelines you will probably never get stopped.

if they are in violation of the guidelines and you get stopped, you'll probably get cited.

I don't know what the penalty for non-DOT conforming headlights is, and I'm sure it varies by state, but I doubt its more than a fix-it-ticket.

it also depends on the cop.
I've been stopped a handful of times for no license plate light and a blocked third brake light because of my tire carrier. every cop has said basically the same thing
"the next guy is going to write you a ticket, but I'll be nice and let you deal with it on your own" I'm waiting for the ticket before I change it.

Approved, compliant, whatever. If your state motor vehicle inspections require DOT approved headlamps, buy those. Many states do not have inspections and most cops do not check for the DOT approval on the side of the road.

Any thing about the rampage housing?
b585f09c7788d7352365e05a2e698b0a.png

661b9e323b8dc0fb8a70184d2cf013fe.jpg

1bd18c780f122d187a7a82409368e9b4.jpg

So going off of the description these are dot 'approved' I'm curious if anyone's used these?

they look like they would blind the crap out of oncoming drivers.

That's why I'm wondering if anyone's used them, if they have a good cut off line and such lol

That's why I'm wondering if anyone's used them, if they have a good cut off line and such lol

these will not have a good cutoff.

in a projector housing the cutoff line is created by a metal flag inside the optic that blocks the top half of the light.

in an LED its usually done by pointing the LED chip at certain angle and blocking it from projecting upwards.

these will not have a good cutoff.

in a projector housing the cutoff line is created by a metal flag inside the optic that blocks the top half of the light.

in an LED its usually done by pointing the LED chip at certain angle and blocking it from projecting upwards.

So how does the hella, ipf, autopal headlights create the cut off line then?

I did find an LED headlight that im not a fan of, (not for an XJ but for a JK) is nightsun4x4s headlight, the lowbeam points up at a 45* angle, anyone run into this issue with other LED Lights?

Brightness was never the goal for me. Usable light without blinding everyone and being able to replace bulbs with easy to find off the shelf parts in a pinch was my goal.

I have IPF housings, phillips Nightguide bulbs and the cheapy harness. Has worked well for me.

Back