• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bastard Pack delima

whitey818

NAXJA Forum User
Spent my day off lifting my jeep, decided on 3 inches to start so got spacers and did the bastard pack. Not quite ready to worry about a SYE and a lot of steering parts changes. The front went on pretty uneventful, only challenge was my '94 doesn't have removable bump stops so I needed to use a spring compressor but wasn't to bad.
The back wasn't really that bad just fighting with bolts, even after about 2 weeks of soaking with PB Blaster. Even managed to remove the shocks without breaking the bolts.
Now the down side, lol, I used S-10 leafs, my main XJ spring and all of the S-10's but the o-load.
I got 5" out of it, wouldn't be to worried over an inch difference but the 2" difference is very noticeable. Going to remove all but the main S-10 leaf and put the XJ's back in place and see where that gets me.

Unless someone has a better suggestion to getting closer to 3"? :cheers:
A crappy phone pick before I headed to work tonight.

yeah i would have just used was the s10 main leaf & the leaf under it maybe. All the other leaves give too much if you are going for 3.

Lol, yeah, like most things, I learn the hard way. Oh well, it will be much easier removing bolts when I work on it again Monday.

I am thinking I will just try the S-10 main and rest XJ?

imo the best way to do the bastard pack is to have a extra set of xj and s10 leafs. Use the s10 and xj main leafs then put what you need under it to get what lift you want. You dont need much since the s10 leafs have so much arch too them.

imo the best way to do the bastard pack is to have a extra set of xj and s10 leafs. Use the s10 and xj main leafs then put what you need under it to get what lift you want. You dont need much since the s10 leafs have so much arch too them.

You are not kidding, was definitely not easy getting the S-10 leafs in, after I got everything together and setting on its own tires I backed it out to see it, saw the difference in front and back height and thought "SOB" lol

It does not take much to get 3" out of the rear.. I would just use the S10 main.. if it starts to sag below 3" later.. Grab a set of MJ shackles for another 1" of lift:cheers:

It does not take much to get 3" out of the rear.. I would just use the S10 main.. if it starts to sag below 3" later.. Grab a set of MJ shackles for another 1" of lift:cheers:

That is very reassuring Scott, I didn't even think about that. I guess the S-10 main can't be much different than a long AAL.

Well, got up feeling chipper today and decided I would redo the bastard pack. Now its xj main, s10 main, s10 2nd, xj 3rd and xj 4th. Still lokks raked but back measures only 1 1/4" higher than front. Front is 20" from center of wheel and back is 21 1/4".

Is it really that noticable are am I just going crazy from negativity, lol?

I guess I can tear it apart agin tomorrow and try just s10 main like NW-ZJ-SCOTT.

You might try loading up the back with all your wheeling, camping gear, tools, hi lift, etc and see were you are at before shuffling your packs again. Just sayin'...

Well, got up feeling chipper today and decided I would redo the bastard pack. Now its xj main, s10 main, s10 2nd, xj 3rd and xj 4th. Still lokks raked but back measures only 1 1/4" higher than front. Front is 20" from center of wheel and back is 21 1/4".

Is it really that noticable are am I just going crazy from negativity, lol?

I guess I can tear it apart agin tomorrow and try just s10 main like NW-ZJ-SCOTT.

Are those measurements from the center of the hub to the bottom of the flare?

Curious because I'm also running an S10 bastard pack that I'm planning to rework a bit. I used the S10 springs with three leafs, put all three under my XJ main and got 4.5" of lift. Just what I wanted, but it but it's super stiff. Planning on pulling one or two of the shorter S10 leaves, adding one or two XJ leaves back in, and installing a 1-1.5" extended shackle to hopefully end up at the same height but with a softer, flexier spring pack.

Are those measurements from the center of the hub to the bottom of the flare?

Curious because I'm also running an S10 bastard pack that I'm planning to rework a bit. I used the S10 springs with three leafs, put all three under my XJ main and got 4.5" of lift. Just what I wanted, but it but it's super stiff. Planning on pulling one or two of the shorter S10 leaves, adding one or two XJ leaves back in, and installing a 1-1.5" extended shackle to hopefully end up at the same height but with a softer, flexier spring pack.

Yep from the center of hub to bottom of flare. I finally got it to 3" like was mention above with just the S-10 main w/eyes cut off. I think there are alot of variants with the bastard packs because the JY I got mine from there was alot of s-10s and I saw a few different leaf spring set ups.

Here is how mine sets now with the new 30" tires

I am pretty happy with it, rides a little stiffer but nothing I would feel uncomfortable. Still have the old shocks on till tomorrow or Thursday when I am installing some JK shocks.

you can always cut a lil bit off each leaf with them on the rig... that'll lower it down gradually and you'll be able gauge it better than taking em apart, guessing and puttiing em back together and repeating.

you can always cut a lil bit off each leaf with them on the rig... that'll lower it down gradually and you'll be able gauge it better than taking em apart, guessing and puttiing em back together and repeating.

Now you mention that, naw, lol. I am happy with how it ended up, and rides decent.
Not sure what you mean by cutting the leaves down but I would have tried it by the 3rd time probably.

Back