• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ballistic Fab steering?

No I didn't mention I was running the WJ knuckles. At the time I talked to him and ordered it, I wasn't planning on the knuckle swap. That kind of came into the equation after the fatc. My plan at the time was to do a Vanco brake upgrade, so I would be keeping the XJ knuckles. After I read more and more, it worked out to be less money out of pocket to do the Wj set up than the Vanco.

I laid the WJ knuckle on top of the XJ knuckle to see the differences the other night. I did notice that the WJ tie rod arms a little lower, but I didn't notice a difference in the lengths of them.

I plan to run the tire rod over the knuckle, so I think that eliminates the tie rod hitting the diff cover. Frank Z was running the WJ OTK set up and he switched from the bent WJ tie rod to a straight one. There was no mention of any diff cover interferance. He did mentioned the bent Wj tie rod was more of a pain to adjust the toe with. I'll guess I 'll have to wait and see.

I'll post up some pics soon. I am waiting on ball joints, so nothing is assembled right now.

You will have to move the sway bar brackets though.

I laid the WJ knuckle on top of the XJ knuckle to see the differences the other night. I did notice that the WJ tie rod arms a little lower, but I didn't notice a difference in the lengths of them.

First, how did you measure them? Did you measure from the ball joint hole to the TRE hole? Or did you just eyeball it? The factory WJ TREs are offset for a reason...if you want to run any kind of aftermarket diff cover you need to push the tie rod further away from the axle somehow.

I plan to run the tire rod over the knuckle, so I think that eliminates the tie rod hitting the diff cover.

Wrong. Going OTK does not raise it high enough to clear the diff cover at all with straight ends.

Frank Z was running the WJ OTK set up and he switched from the bent WJ tie rod to a straight one.
The WJ tie rod is not bent, the TREs are. I can adjust the toe of my JKS tie rod with factory WJ TREs by my hand after loosening the 2 jam nuts.

All in all, do some more research.

This is my setup. JKS draglink / tie rod with factory WJ ends, and Ruffstuff diff cover. The tie rod hits my diff cover at full lock. There is no way I could run straight ends on my tie rod and keep any reasonable turning radius.

n41902041_30917655_1289.jpg

I run the Ballistic Fab steering with the 7/8" Heims. I have experienced no limits to droop or stuff on either wheel. The steering is nice and tight with no dead spots. It is still tight after the 1.5 years I've been running it.

I do have a few spare 7/8" heims in case of breakage, but so far no problems at all to report.

I can state that drilling out the knuckles was a piece of cake, but drilling out that pitman arm was a PITA. I eventually got it and all is well.

I did the alignment myself and everything is working sweet.

I highly recommend that kit.

The pics match what's on their site, so there's nothing new I can show.

Back