• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball joint greasing question/problem?

XJMark

NAXJA Forum User
Today I was doing an oil change and as usual I grease all the joints on the front end. Everything goes well until I get to the driver side upper ball joint, it won't accept grease! I took the zerk fitting out and it flows O.K. I put it back in and the grease gun handle won't go down. I started pounding on the handle of the grease gun and grease started going in but very hard, I did manage to get some grease to show at the rubber dust cap.

Is that upper joint fried? I put them in about a month ago. Anyone else run into this?

Mark

No, it's not fried. It's tight, so the grease doesn't have a large void to fill. That's good. As long as you got some in there, you're fine.

Thanks for the reply Eagle. I guess I was just being a little paranoid about it, I just never dealt with one that was that hard to pump grease into before.

Thanks,

Mark

If you jack up that wheel by the axle and let the wheel hang, it might unload the ball joint enough to allow grease to flow in easier.

I'm going to have to try that. I don't know what happened to me under there when that was going on, must have lost my mind. It was quite hot outside though!:sunshine:

Mark

Hot huh, so you been there long enough to ignore the 'humid' part eh :D , florida in august is miserable.... That was the first place I ever saw an airconditioned dog house over in Orlando.

I live in a coastal area so we get the constant breeze, humidity doesn't feel too bad here. Inland parts of Florida are pretty bad in August, lot's of humidity and almost no breeze.

Mark

Back