• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle & tranny identification

dodged100

NAXJA Forum User
I have found all numbers on my axles, tranny & transfer case.
Where can I find an explanation for the numbers?
I need to know which tranny transfer case and axles and what gear ratio I have under my 86 cherokee

If you have the b.o.m numbers of the axle you can go to
http://www2.dana.com/expert/
It will give you an option to look up by b.o.m and there is a way to look up by vehicle if the b.o.m. number dosent work. If you have the number to the transfercase and the transmision i might be able to help you their.
(transmision is probably a AW4 if its a automatic and transfer case is probably a 231) More than likely you axle ration is going to be 373 depening on the year.

dustyredneck said:
If you have the b.o.m numbers of the axle you can go to
http://www2.dana.com/expert/
It will give you an option to look up by b.o.m and there is a way to look up by vehicle if the b.o.m. number dosent work. If you have the number to the transfercase and the transmision i might be able to help you their.
(transmision is probably a AW4 if its a automatic and transfer case is probably a 231) More than likely you axle ration is going to be 373 depening on the year.

Hey dusty look at the year of the XJ.... no way it has a AW-4 or 231 in it fromthe factory..... that started in 87. The tranny is one of three... auto will be a TF 904, manual wil be either a AX-4 or an AX-5. 4 being the 4 speed and 5 being the 5 speed. As for the axle two ways to tell. The tag on the diff will have a serous of number one set wil be the gear ratio. You post all the numbers on the diff tag, which is held on the cove with two of its bolts, and I'll tell you what the ratio is. But I'd lay money that it is either a 3.55 most likely or a 3.73.... the 4.10 under the early xj was not as popular as most think. It was Chrysler that started that in the 80's.

And the tcase is a 207.. if you ever need one i have 3 right now.....

Last edited:
Your right about the tranny but i thought it was newer. On the gear ration side of things i have four xjs three from the late 80's for extra parts and one has a 373 with a d44 because it had a towing pack. but more than likely its 355.

Back