• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle Swap Question 8.25 to D44

Its goes by year model if im not mistaken, maybe before 96 or something like that. Im not sure what year maybe someone will answer about it

carrlf said:
Its goes by year model if im not mistaken, maybe before 96 or something like that. Im not sure what year maybe someone will answer about it

97 and up have a 29 spline 8.25.
96 was a crossover year, so some '96's will have 29 spline.

My 96 has a D35:gee::explosion not for long though.
The 97+ explorers 8.8s have 31 spline shafts.

~Alex

i think if you are ok with limited options for the 8.25, just keep it and try to find a D44 for the front. I have a 8.25 29-spline with yukon axles, 4.56 and a no-slip on 33's and it holds up just fine. Maybe going up to 35's but nothing more than that and i have been told that it should hold up to those as well. D44 are nice, but i say put one in the front and take the d30 out.

I've been running a 29-spline 8.25 with 4.56 gears, No-Slip, Superior shafts and ZJ disc brakes on 33 inch tires for a few years now.

I'm putting in a D44 with 4.56 gears and Explorer disc brakes. But it'll also have a 33-spline Detroit Locker and Alloy USA 33-spline shafts.

Hopefully, it'll be in the Jeep next weekend. Then I have a buyer for my 8.25 to offset my cost.

Yes I think the front would be more important, now that I have done more reading, does anyone know a good 44 for the front that will fit and wont be that bad of a project, I can do pretty much anything as far as welding and what not, just dont wanna spend days fabing stuff up. Any info would be appreciated.

I was considering a D44 front froma rubicon, however, I was warned that it may cause some driveline vibs because of the fact that it is a low pinion, however, I haven't heard any different. It's just a guess. Anyone?

Yeah they are nice and come with a locker for about 1300 bucks new I have seen on ebay, but I was hoping for something a little cheaper than that.

The other downside to the c-clips is trail repair. You have to open the pumpkin if you need to take out the axle. That being said, for what you want I agree that you should look for a HP D44 for the front, or just put your money into upgrades for both existing axles. I have seen some slightly improved D30s handle some pretty crazy stuff.

Rear Axles:

The XJ came from the factory with one of 3 rear axles -

Dana 35:
The Dana 35 came on most Cherokees, and was the only rear axle to be offered with ABS. This is identified by its oval shaped differential cover and rubber fill plug cover. The numbers "35c" often appear around the gusset on the center section. The "C" refers to custom - because Chrysler finished the axle in house. There were 2 main variations on this axle - the older style was a non-c-clip rear end and the newer style has c-clips. There were factory limited slip carriers offered for this axle.

Chrysler 8.25:
This axle came in non-ABS equipped Cherokees starting in 1988. It is identified by its flat bottomed casting on the center section. This is a c-clip rear end with 2 major variations:
1988 - 1995
These units were equipped with 27 spline axle shafts and about the same strength as the Dana 35. The only advantage is the housing is stronger.
1995 - 2001
These units are 29 spline equipped and are considerably stronger than a Dana 35 rear end.

I do believe there is our answer to the 27 or 29 spline

Nope, the changeover year was 1996. Liza was correct on that one.

you can also add the D44 to the axles that were offered in XJ's, such as the one the OP is talking about. 87-89 I believe.

Because it's Opie. :gag:

I'll keep him some crap for that next time I see him.

Back