• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle strength question?

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 xj with 4.0 manual. I bent my axle tube a while back and now i have to change it. i know my axles have the 297x760 u joints. i also have the 3.07 gears, a new dana 30 with those gears are hard to find in my area.

i found a good deal on a dana 30 with the same gears from a 95 xj with ABS. this truck has the 5-297x u joints.

I understand that these are not as strong as what i have now, I don't want to downgrade. how hard will it be to change the better u joint? this is my only option right now for a reasonable price!:helpme::helpme::helpme:

its the same exact axle you curently, same ujoints and eveything

yes it is the same. as long as its from a manual.

Might want to throw a truss on it if you bent one already...

As for the u joints I think you are just a bit confused, 5-297x is the original part number, 5-760x is the same u joint size but a stronger design due to cold forging, supposedly upgraded design for the TJ Rubicons.

I recommend 5-760x with full circle c -clips to anyone looking for a direct relativity cheap strength upgrade.

Last edited:
Ummmm, don't the shafts interchange anyway?

take the opportunity to put 3.55 geared axles under it.

not as good as a regear, but it helps. 3.07s bring the suck.

X2.... just get a set of axles from an AW4 rig and you reduced your gear ration by 15% for cheap. it's where the OEM ration should have been.

Back