• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle argument....

codeman8118

NAXJA Forum User
okay so my brother thinks he's really smart and knows jeeps well...so he comes up to me and asks what kind of rear axle he has...and I'm like wow...so i check it and i say it's a Chrysler 8.25 because of the noticable flat bottom...but he thinks it's a Dana 35...so im posting because i need some proof from other people...see who wins the bet...

DSCN0205.jpg

never take him to vegas to bet!...thats an 8.25

Gotta go with ChryCo on this one (and that makes three!)

So the cover is oval? So what? It's the shape of the CASE that matters - if the shape of the cover doesn't follow the shape of the case, ya gotta go with the shape of the case...

The rubber bung plug is also a giveaway - as I recall, they were common on ChryCo axles, and about as rare as hen's teeth on Dana (if the owner of a Dana with a rubber plug was halfway serious, he'd have replaced it with iron, steel, or brass long ago...)

5-90

Cant trust the axle tube diameter. There were three different diameters on the D35 over the years.

definitely 8.25, I look at mine every day. Used to look at a D35 every day.

Also, my friend has a ZJ with a D35 that has a rubber plug. I hate rubber plugs. does anyone know how to put a real plug in?? can you buy one and get a tap and tap the hole for it?? anyone done this??

Check the hole for the plug, it might be threaded. If it is, it's likely 1/2" NPT, and you can get a brass plug (won't rust or seize on you) at your local hardware store.

If it's not threaded, you can either remove the cover and get a weld bung, or just remove the cover and replace it with a junkyard pull or aftermarket replacement that has a threaded hole for the plug. Either way - problem solved!

5-90

codeman8118 said:
im gonna steal my brothers 8.25 when he's asleep and swap it with my dana 35...he probably wouldn't even know...

The early 8.25s I don't think offer much of an advantage over a D35, it's the later axles that have the better splines.

If you're swapping to 8.25 I believe you also have to swap driveshafts & T-case outputs... maybe more.

why does everybody thing the 8.25 is the 35? I have tried hard to convince a number of people that they have an 8.25 but they will argue till the end.

I know I didn't ask the question, but you guys gave the answer. Now I do know that I need an axle up grade.

Thanks
93 XJ

ECKSJAY said:
Chrysler. Drag his sorry butt out there and ask him where the Dana diamond logo is.
x2
mack said:
thats an 8.25
x2
5-90 said:
Gotta go with ChryCo on this one
x2
mjma said:
definitely 8.25
x2
Jeffro600 said:
No doubt in my mind....
Thats an 8.25
x2

shortxjdoug said:
why does everybody thing the 8.25 is the 35? I have tried hard to convince a number of people that they have an 8.25 but they will argue till the end.
Because, when you shave it it looks ovalish like a D35.

is.php

is.php

I just ordered a diff guard for my 8.25 from rusty's for 50 bux!! It's taken plenty of hits so far with no problems, but insurance is always good. I would never waste money on an expensive cover to make it look better. You can just pull the cover off and paint it if you need it to be shiny. Those expensive cool looking aluminum covers would probably not like being dragged across rocks.

It is try the pre-97 8.25s have 27 spline shafts but they are still much better than a D35. the tubes are 3" and don't flex like a d35.

Back