• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Solenoid Replacement write-up (no 56k)

I had p0758 stored as well. Replaced both the shift solenoids and the trans starts out in first as normal now, but the transmission shift through the gear too fast were talking 15-20 miles per hour and in 3rd gear and it lugs the engine. This only happened after replacing the solenoids. Will recheck my fluid level any other thoughts? No Fault codes have returned.

Check the TPS.

John

What year is your rig? They stopped being adjustable after a certain year (don't know which). Something like 92 or such.

Definitely non-adjustable. You can only verify that correct voltage is being sent at closed and WOT throttle (Jeep off, of course). If not, TPS is bad.

OK. This seems the appropriate thread...

My trans will shift out of 1st at 1500 RPM in 1-2. Compression braking? Yeah, I remember that...
It will then wind up to about 3K in 2nd before slamming back down to first - which sucks.
1-2 solenoid? What else could it be?
In 3 or "D" it drives as you'd expect, nothing to complain about from the trans.

OK. This seems the appropriate thread...

My trans will shift out of 1st at 1500 RPM in 1-2. Compression braking? Yeah, I remember that...
It will then wind up to about 3K in 2nd before slamming back down to first - which sucks.
1-2 solenoid? What else could it be?
In 3 or "D" it drives as you'd expect, nothing to complain about from the trans.

Couldn't be the solenoid, as its driving fine in D and 3.

Also, you can't rule out any of the solenoids until you test the resistance of the circuit. You could have a half-faulty one.

I'd vote TCM/wiring...seems odd that it only happens in 1-2 and not in any other transmission settings.

And...fwiw, my CEL turned off today...first time in a year I've been CEL'less :)

I'd vote TCM/wiring...seems odd that it only happens in 1-2 and not in any other transmission settings.

And...fwiw, my CEL turned off today...first time in a year I've been CEL'less :)

Does the TCM control the tranny when you manually set it in 1-2?

The only way to really tell if wiring/sols are good is to test the harness.

Ok - how do I go about testing the harness? I don't know where things physically are in the jeep. Its a 98, FWIW. I think the link on page one was for 96 and earlier?

Ok - how do I go about testing the harness? I don't know where things physically are in the jeep. Its a 98, FWIW. I think the link on page one was for 96 and earlier?

On the 97 and up, the TCU is located under the dash on the right side of the steering column. I could not find a diagram that showed how to test the TCU on a 97 up Cherokee, so I did the next best thing. I crawled around underneath and checked all the wires coming out of the tranny. I found no lose wires, kinks, or breaks. This lead me to believe it was a Solenoid.

I could not find the info on how to read a TCM in the 97 up either, so I tested the wires at teh solonoids.

JOhn

Bumping an old thread.. I'm having same issues on '98 xj. Solenoid b.

Could not find better/info or a writeup than this.

If I order the 2 pack, which of the 3 solenoids do I swap out?

New B (#2) Solenoid installed...

100_0274.jpg

New #1 Solenoid installed....

100_0275.jpg
:doh: There it is. I missed that part. I saw the others labeled 1, 2, and OD. But not this one.

Thanks. Now, I just need to decide whether to pay $115 for 2, or $150 and replace the 3..

Before you go spending $150 on solenoids, you really should find someone who has a parts tranny laying around or something that can pull some for you.

Yeah. There is a guy on CL selling an AW4 from a 90 xj for $75 obo.

So I get this straigh.. They are ALL the same solenoids, but the 98+ use a different bracke to mount the solenoids?

"Notes: 98 & Up vehicles w/o cable use new dual solenoid
Remove individual brackets from shift solenoids with the dual bracket for these applications
"

So people w/a 98+ can still grab them from any tranny and just swap the mounts to the mounts in their current tranny?

Back