• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 "performance" options

sardo_67

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 with the automatic AW4 tranny that has around 200k I think. Doesn't show any real signs of being tired but I plan on going through the entire drive train anyway. Found a local AW4 on CL for $100, figure I'll pick that up, get a new TQ and then......... What else can I do? I know this isn't like drag racing where a harder shift is needed and what not but I would like to improve the shift a little and make any weak points stronger.

So what have most people here done? I do remember seeing a link to a shift kit once but don't remember the thread.

Talked to the guy with the $100 tranny
said "It likely had a bad governer didnt know what gear it wanted to be in"

So I'm guessing the trans is ok just the computer was messed up.

NorCalChris posted a good thread that is stickied about the AW4/A340 you should read it.

If you're spending $$$ on the convertor, might as well spend another couple hundred and completely rebuild the thing. You can pick up a transtec kit for < 200 and essentially have a like new transmission when you're done.

I've been getting stuff through them on ebay. They're local to Socal, so it's convenient for me. They're 103 for the shift kit. I think they do more business through they're ebay store vs the website. I picked up a transtec kit from them a couple years ago to rebuild my honda odyssey transmission, and that thing is going fine. OEM steels and clutches. If I do the AW4 I'm going to pull this weekend I'll probably use them again. I was just pricing this stuff through them yesterday.

From CT Powertrain yesterday:

Here are the prices on the kit and others:

Master kit
W/Transtec Overhaul and OEM Grade frictions/Steels $255.00
New Band
$35.00
New Filter $12.00
Bushing kit $30.00 (just pump bushing
$9.00)
Transgo Shift kit $70.29 or Reprogramming kit $103.44
Recon
Rebuilt Converter $200.00

All prices Less Ca. State tax of 9.00% if you
are in California and all prices are Free domestic shipping.
Let us know

-ctpowertrain

I see. Thanks for the info & prices.

The $70 shift kit is for reduce/correct/prevent shifting issues. The reprogramming kit has everything the shift kit has, plus performance enhancing components.

From TransGo's FAQ...

» What's the difference between a Shift Kit® and a Reprogramming Kit™ ?
TransGo Shift Kit® branded products are designed to reduce/prevent/correct complaints such as "shift irregularities or durability issues". Shift Kit's® are perfect for normal use or towing. Shift Kit's® do NOT produce performance type shifts.

TransGo Reprogramming Kit™ branded products are designed with performance in mind and most but not all models contain additional features like Gear Command that allows you to hold manual low to any speed and shift back to low at any speed. Great for strip cars or 4x4 rock crawlers needing to select low and not have it up-shift. Most Reprogramming Kit™ products can be tuned for HD (Heavy Duty) use by following the recommendations in the kit.

If you desire full manual control, we offer Stick Shift versions for most models that provide no automatic up-shifts, in a forward pattern only, available under the Reprogramming Kit™ brand.
So if your looking to retain shift comfort but want added durability use the Shift Kit® branded products. For performance shifts without sacrificing durability use our Reprogramming Kit™ branded products.
NOTE: Shift feel also depends on many factors such as vehicle weight, tire diameter, differential ratio, engine torque, and converter stall speed.

If I'm making mine manual control does the program kit do anything for me? I'm guessing I only need the physical internal parts for the build, any computer stuff wil not be needed.

The reprogramming kit actually doesn't do anything with computers. It provides valve body internals to improve shift firmness, clutch plate durability, & locks 1st gear when in 1-2 position. The quicker/firmer shifts gives the AW4 a bit more performance.

The manual shift controller gives the ability to lock any gear.

I would imagine there would be advantages to running both the reprogramming kit & shift controller. More efficient shifting for daily driving & ability to shift manually on the trail/snow/towing.

OEM's tend to setup overlap with shifts. Ie. They slowly remove pressure from a band/clutch pack as they apply pressure to the band/clutch pack for the next gear when they shift. This "slipping" of the clutch packs and bands builds up heat and increases wear in the transmission. However it gives a nice smooth, almost unnoticeable shift, at the cost of soft part durability. The "reprogramming" kit looks like it's the way to go as it has the additional value of keeping it in first/second gear when you select those.

OEM's tend to setup overlap with shifts. Ie. They slowly remove pressure from a band/clutch pack as they apply pressure to the band/clutch pack for the next gear when they shift. This "slipping" of the clutch packs and bands builds up heat and increases wear in the transmission. However it gives a nice smooth, almost unnoticeable shift, at the cost of soft part durability. The "reprogramming" kit looks like it's the way to go as it has the additional value of keeping it in first/second gear when you select those.

that's what i'm looking to go for, harder shifts yet easier on the tranny.
now when i put in the new internal stuff do i NEED the computer? i have a 99 that by the summer will be powered by a VW Jetta TDI diesel engine so i am going to need the trans to operate 100% independently of the engine and factory ECU.

from what i have learned going the "manual" AW4 route with a Winters AW4 RADesigns shifter like this will work with out the computer but won't have the "Drive" feature. any more clarification?
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1096300

I know the older transmissions have a TCU. Not sure about the 96+.

Don't quote me on this but I'm almost positive all aw4's(XJ related) reguardless of the year have their own TCU's

Back