• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 "performance" options

* ALL XJs with a 4.0/AW4 drivetrain have a separate TCU. 1987-1990 are (as far as I know, RENIX experts want to chime in?) all the same TCU, 1991-1996 are another unit, 1997 TCUs stand alone, and 1998-2001 TCUs are interchangeable.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the AW4

98+ has an Input Speed Sensor & different Output Speed Sensor.

Like I said, the reprogramming kit has nothing to do with the TCU or ECM. Hard parts & slight modification, no "computer stuff".
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1088057

All the information about how the Winters AW4 Shifter would work, is in thread you posted. As you know, with the shifter, you manually shift the AW4. It takes the place of the TCU, so the transmission will no longer shift automatically (unless, as discussed in that thread, somehow wiring a switch to function with or bypass the TCU). When you select "DRIVE" with the stock shifter, the TCU will run 1 through 4 automatically. In 3, it will use 1 through 3. In 1-2, only 1 & 2. Yes, with the Winters shifter, "D" is no longer there, because YOU now select what gear to be in.

When the lever is in 3, moving the shift lever from the left side to right side will shift to 4th, and of course moving it from the right side to the left side shifts to 3rd.
No fully auto feature unless you wired in a switch to choose either manual control with the kit shown or auto/TCM control.

^post #6 from the Winters AW4 Shifter thread

Yes, there is a standalone TCU. With you not using the ECU when you do your TDI swap, you really won't lose anything if you delete the TCU as well and roll your own setup. It's almost trivial to control the AW4 with switches if you are decent with electronics, I built a shifter for testing some stuff with like $20 at radio shack.

Back