• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Fluid

So, what am I missing? Anyone can use what they want, but why not use what the factory recommends? If dealer/shop use a ATF and your AW4 fails down the road, unless you have a warranty, who foots the bill? The JEEP owner.

I use "factory" fluids in all my old AND new cars, and for me, that works. I think getting all the different opinions are helpful in making a choice!!

This is why I find this forum is helpful.

Enjoy............

Well, thanks to 5-90 for all that info there.

I just don't think that they would recommend that their dealers use a fluid that would be harmful... There's a lot of XJs on the road here, and I know it would be a big deal if they were putting in fluid that was damaging... I'm sure there are still people who bring their XJs into the dealer for servicing.

dlarrivee said:
Exactly! Why do you people think Chrysler would put a fluid into a tranny if it's going to mess it up... I guarantee they'd put ATF+4 into my AW4 if I had them do work on my Jeep. If it did mess it up, they'd be at fault...

I just don't understand this garage mechanic stubbornness, what makes these guys think they know better than Chrysler does?

My comments on ATF +3/+4 vice Dexron are based on reports from the field - as I've said, I've not experimented (nor do I honestly care to - Dexron works for me. No need to change.) I don't know (in detail) what's different, and haven't had much of a chance to look into it.

On GL-5/GL-3, both personal experience and reports from the field have gone into that - I've seen Muncies and Ford Toploaders wrecked by using GL-5, because the synchros dissolved (literally. Sulphur attacks copper, and bronze is a copper-based alloy.) The fact that it's recommended doesn't mean it's right, and my saying they're wrong about it has nothing to do with being stubborn - it's a simple chemical fact. It takes a while, but GL-5 will dissolve bronze synchroniser rings and bronze bushings, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. Don't believe me? Run GL-5 in your AX-15 for a change or two, and pay attention to the fluid when you drain it - it will look like it has gold flecks in it. You can keep your synchronisers if you drain through a filter - but you won't be able to use them. Sulphur is added to GL-5 gear oils as an EP (Extreme Pressure) lubricant. Since "modern" transmissions do not use copper-based alloys for internal parts, this isn't a problem - but it damn sure is on older transmissions that do use brass/bronze/copper internals. While API specs for engine oil and proprietary transmission fluid specifications are reverse compatible, API GL-series specifications are not. No, I don't know why, either.

Again, this isn't "garage mechanic stubbornness," at least not on my part. This is based on observation and experience - which even Chrysler can't change... The "observation" takes the form of "reports from the field" - someone switches a fluid, notes that something is going wrong, and switches back. Problem solved. Hmm...

That comment was more for the guy who said to just use "castrol multi-vehicle" and be "done with it"... Not you 5-90.

And I too like to go along with what the OEM does. I'm just wondering what source of Dexron III the dealers would have used before the bulletin came out that said ATF+4 was good for all.

Ray H said:
Quick, someone alert Toyota that they are recommending the wrong fluid for their transmission. Tell them to call Chrysler if they have any questions.

Heres the bulletin that says its ok to use ATF4 in the AW4. Apparently its backward compatible with ATF1-2-3 but says nothing of DMIII
http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2101407.pdf

I will admit my ignorance about the ATF4 but what I do know is that Toyota recommends their Toyota IV ATF or Dexron III and nothing else for their A340 (aka AW4). I believe Toyota, so shoot me.

Oh wow...okay, thats good info there. Wasnt aware of that. I think I'd trust Toyota more than Chrysler....

Oh well, if my tranny fails with Amsoil in it, they can buy me a new one :D

dlarrivee said:
I just don't understand this garage mechanic stubbornness, what makes these guys think they know better than Chrysler does?

At the top of this thread you asked for " the general consensus".
Why would you ask for "the general consensus" if all you wanted to hear was what you want to hear.
I got an idea, everyone who disagrees with DC just delete your posts and we'll call that the "general consensus". Would that make you happy?

Ray H said:
At the top of this thread you asked for " the general consensus".
Why would you ask for "the general consensus" if all you wanted to hear was what you want to hear.
I got an idea, everyone who disagrees with DC just delete your posts and we'll call that the "general consensus". Would that make you happy?

And then I found an official document that said to use ATF+4...

What's so wrong about me trying to get people to share some real world experiences and maybe show some documents that prove a point, instead of just a quick comment off the top of their head?

Anyways... Before ATF+4 came out, what sort of Dexron III would a Dodge dealer have used? Did Mopar make one? And what do you guys who swear by Dexron III use now, as in what brand?

Last edited:
dlarrivee said:
And then I found an official document that said to use ATF+4...

What's so wrong about me trying to get people to share some real world experiences and maybe show some documents that prove a point, instead of just a quick comment off the top of their head?

Anyways... Before ATF+4 came out, what sort of Dexron III would a Dodge dealer have used? Did Mopar make one? And what do you guys who swear by Dexron III use now, as in what brand?

I'm sure that either the Dexron or the Mercon spec was Chrysler-generated - I'm just not sure which one.

As far as branding, I'll use either Castrol, Valvoline, or Chevron; all have worked well for me in the past. I tend to avoid parts-store "house brands" unless they can tell me who made it for them - for instance, the "Flag" brand used by Checker/Schuck/Kragen/Northern Automotive used to be rerefined oil by Valvoline, but I don't know who makes it for them now (Valvoline, I think, stopped making it for them ca. 1997. I don't think it's even "rerefined" anymore - which is a pity. I'd rather use a rerefined oil than a new one. Oil doesn't wear out, but additives do. "Rerefined" oil is simply base stock with the additives cracked out of it and refreshed...)

I like to use what the dealer gives me usually, but this time, I think I'll go get some of this stuff if I ever need it:
Castrol Domestic Multi–Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid

A Superior Automatic Transmission Fluid! Suitable for use in applications calling for DEXRON®, DEXRON® –II, DEXRON® – IIE, DEXRON® – III and or a MERCON® fluid.

I'm thinking the ATF+4 would probably be okay, but this would be closer to what my FSM and Owners Manual suggests.

dlarrivee said:
Exactly! Why do you people think Chrysler would put a fluid into a tranny if it's going to mess it up... I guarantee they'd put ATF+4 into my AW4 if I had them do work on my Jeep. If it did mess it up, they'd be at fault...

You seem to be ignoring the other factors in this debate.

1. The AW-4 isn't a Chrysler transmission. AMC sourced it from Aisin-Warner.

2. Chrysler had NOTHING to do with it being used in the XJ.

3. The newest XJ is 7 years old, show me a warranty still in effect.....

4. Could you possibly think of a reason why Chrysler might not want to continue to spec a fluid they don't hold the rights to???

w_howey said:
You seem to be ignoring the other factors in this debate.

1. The AW-4 isn't a Chrysler transmission. AMC sourced it from Aisin-Warner.

2. Chrysler had NOTHING to do with it being used in the XJ.

3. The newest XJ is 7 years old, show me a warranty still in effect.....

4. Could you possibly think of a reason why Chrysler might not want to continue to spec a fluid they don't hold the rights to???

Thank You......:roll:

dlarrivee said:
And my dealer gave me Mopar ATF+4, and yes I realize the tranny is made by Aisin-Warner and is not a Chrysler tranny.

I'd also like to point out that, just because the Aisin Warner transmission had "nothing to do with Chrysler", they did continue using it until the end of production in 2001... So I think they might have at least known where to get them from ;)

What makes you think that just because Chrysler/Jeep did not design the vehicle from the ground up, that they don't have a clue as to what they built them out of?

Sorry, I know everyone in here knows their precious XJ much better than the people who built it for them in Ohio... :laugh:

dlarrivee said:
What makes you think that just because Chrysler/Jeep did not design the vehicle from the ground up, that they don't have a clue as to what they built them out of?

Sorry, I know everyone in here knows their precious XJ much better than the people who built it for them in Ohio... :laugh:

AMC/Jeep did design the Cherokee. And by using Dex III, you would be using the closest thing available to what they specified.

If you use ATF+4, you are using what the people who want to sell you a Liberty, a Commander, or whatever they are attempting to sell these days to you.

You ask a question, get answers from ALOT of senior people who have been do this a long time and continue to cling to some questionable TSB, which has been show over and over again to not be a good idea. You continue to defend Chrysler's purely economic decisions in recommending ATF+4, with no more evidence than has been posted time and time again.

You are one of two things: A Chrysler employee and a troll. Or just completely foolish and you want to justify the fact the dealership shafted you and are trolling for that reason.....

dlarrivee said:
I like to use what the dealer gives me usually, but this time, I think I'll go get some of this stuff if I ever need it:
Castrol Domestic Multi–Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid

A Superior Automatic Transmission Fluid! Suitable for use in applications calling for DEXRON®, DEXRON® –II, DEXRON® – IIE, DEXRON® – III and or a MERCON® fluid.

I'm thinking the ATF+4 would probably be okay, but this would be closer to what my FSM and Owners Manual suggests.

I already agreed that it would be best to stick with Dexron III, because it was closest to what would have come in the tranny from the factory. However, I still don't think that ATF+4 would destroy an AW4. Oh, and I'm not to concerned with who thinks they're "senior" to me, their opinion is still just an opinion, unless it's backed up. If you read the whole thread you'd see that two people are using ATF+4 without problems.

w_howey said:
You are one of two things: A Chrysler employee and a troll. Or just completely foolish and you want to justify the fact the dealership shafted you and are trolling for that reason.....

The dealership did not "shaft" me, I returned the ATF+4 to them already...
I also don't work for Chrysler.
Do you always come up with immature little stabs at people when you enter a debate with them?

dlarrivee said:
If you read the whole thread you'd see that two people are using ATF+4 without problems.

Yeah, there are people who report running ATF+4 or synthetics just fine. In my browsings though, I have seen reports of problems with slippage or poor shifting after refilling with ATF+4 or synthetic. It might be brand specific or trannies which already had problems (hence the drain and refill), but I'm going to stick with Dex-III just to be sure.

lawsoncl said:
Yeah, there are people who report running ATF+4 or synthetics just fine. In my browsings though, I have seen reports of problems with slippage or poor shifting after refilling with ATF+4 or synthetic. It might be brand specific or trannies which already had problems (hence the drain and refill), but I'm going to stick with Dex-III just to be sure.

I think that's the best way to go.

dlarrivee said:
I already agreed that it would be best to stick with Dexron III, because it was closest to what would have come in the tranny from the factory. However, I still don't think that ATF+4 would destroy an AW4. Oh, and I'm not to concerned with who thinks they're "senior" to me, their opinion is still just an opinion, unless it's backed up. If you read the whole thread you'd see that two people are using ATF+4 without problems.

1. Just for fun see what Chrysler has to say about using Dexron in there transmissions.
2: If your really interested, do some testing on your own, a few simple tests can tell a story. Friction properties, viscosity, adhesion etc.
3. I know for a fact Chrysler (and/or New Process) has screwed up the fluid recommendations on various trannies and gear boxes, over the years.
4. Compare the price of Dexron and AFT 4, things could be different in the states, but the price here is more than double for ATF 4.
5. If it ain't broke don't fix it, the tranny was designed to work with Dexron, which was fast becoming the standard when the tranny was designed. Then they even started messing with that formula (Dexron II, III etc.), I seriously doubt they modified it to make it better, more likely modified it to make it cheaper. A letter I read at the time, said in effect Dexron (I) was overrefined and over filtered (too pure, unnecessarily so).
6. Should have kept the letter I once saw, shortly after Chrysler took over Jeep. The object of the whole ATF 3 and 4 controversy was to reduce redundant stocks at the service centers. Not what was best, or even better. Another reason stated in the letter was to avoid Chrysler mechanics from inadvertently using Dexron in Chryco trannies, back to number one.

Just an observation, the newer Dexrons seem more heat sensitive than the older ones were, if nothing else the color changes at lower temperatures or more easily.

Twice now in two different vehicles, a Chrysler service center changed out my tranny fluid and added ATF 3 ( I believe) actually just a half change and both times the clutches were noticeably slipperier, I might have left the fluid in there until the clutches died, but decided to do multiple drain and refills back to Dexron. Once was seven years ago and the other about 5, both trannies are doing well. Original AW4's one twenty years old the other 19 years old.

Tranny fluids are a compromise, between a hydraulic fluid, a lubricant and wet clutch friction agent. The friction design properties, the pressures and the designed slippage in the clutches is rather critical for longevity.

IMO

Well you can't really judge an ATF on it's color. It's dyed red to differentiate it from other fluids, and color is not an indicator of it's condition.

Once again, I AGREE THAT DEXRON III IS THE BEST FLUID TO USE.

Back