• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auto won't shift into OD

Now, now. What I am doing is not right. There needs to be changes, though. It seems like an endless cycle that dates almost all the way back when this site was a Vmag board. Geez, take a look at some other car forums if you think NAXJA is bad.

DieselSJ has come the closest with the lockup. The idle has still got me - has to do with it being cold and it must be that stinkin' temp sensor in the radiator; the engine warms up and the sensor in the head actuates the temp guage, but the rad sensor is still telling the computer it's cold.

Something so simple as CHECKING THE TRANSMISSION FLUID...

Still, that is no excuse, and I apologize for rippin' on you guys. It's really not my style. You gotta get a thicker skin - this is the internet. Jerks like me come through all the time - just leave them alone, stop coming back to the thread to make yourselves look just as foolish. Sure, come back to the playground, but move on to a better game.

The reason I signed up again (my old handle had been deleted) was to use the search. Boy, a lot of crap gets in the way!!!! I don't have time to fix JU...I think all hope is lost there.
I never take anything personally on here, like you said, this is the internet.
And I do know how frustrating it can be when you can't find a fix for all the problems that arise.....instantly.
It's usaully the simple things that make us go DUH!!!!
So it was your trans fluid....that's one we usually think the poster that has the problem has covered most of the time.

Now, now. What I am doing is not right. There needs to be changes, though. It seems like an endless cycle that dates almost all the way back when this site was a Vmag board. Geez, take a look at some other car forums if you think NAXJA is bad.

DieselSJ has come the closest with the lockup. The idle has still got me - has to do with it being cold and it must be that stinkin' temp sensor in the radiator; the engine warms up and the sensor in the head actuates the temp guage, but the rad sensor is still telling the computer it's cold.

Something so simple as CHECKING THE TRANSMISSION FLUID...

Still, that is no excuse, and I apologize for rippin' on you guys. It's really not my style. You gotta get a thicker skin - this is the internet. Jerks like me come through all the time - just leave them alone, stop coming back to the thread to make yourselves look just as foolish. Sure, come back to the playground, but move on to a better game.

The reason I signed up again (my old handle had been deleted) was to use the search. Boy, a lot of crap gets in the way!!!! I don't have time to fix JU...I think all hope is lost there.

So low fluid and it wasn't locking up the TCC? Or was low fluid causing 4th to slip?

Regarding the temp sensor...that RPM seems a little high for the cold idle. My 88 never idled high, and I lived in Seattle at the time so it was cold a lot. Did you check the basic things like sticking throttle plate, throttle cable, etc...?

If nobody responds to "XJ won't crank" with "Did you try turning the Key?" I don't think it makes the responder the idiot.

Mean spirited insults do not engender future helpfulness and charity from people who genuinely want to help.

Regarding the temp sensor...that RPM seems a little high for the cold idle. My 88 never idled high, and I lived in Seattle at the time so it was cold a lot. Did you check the basic things like sticking throttle plate, throttle cable, etc...?
When my 88 was put on the Snapon scanner, the temp sensor (if I remember correctly), read normal.

Idle on mine, once warmed up, goes to 1200 to 1500 rpms.....but in drive it's 750 to 900 rpms.

I had the smoke test run on mine, which found no vacuume leaks in the system, that we could find.

I have discovered (just last week) that my exaust manifold is cracked at the collector maybe causing the O2 sensor to read funky, so that might be the source of my higher idle.

Last edited:
Back