• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie clicks when driving straight???

TRSCobra

NAXJA Forum User
I installed an aussie locker in my d30 a few months back and it has worked great. I get some clicking in turns and the occasional louder clunk, but it's quieted down alot as it has broken in. In the past few weeks, I've noticed a faint clicking when I'm going straight in 2wd. It's the same frequency as when I make a turn, but even quieter. It's so faint that it can only be heard with the radio off and the heater fan on low or off.

This would make sense if one tire was low on air, but I think it would need to be a significant difference in diameter to warrant the clicking frequency to be as fast as it is.

I suppose it's possible that the noise isn't even from the locker, but it sounds as if it is.

Has anyone had a similar issue? I know I should really just pop the cover and see if anything's worn/broken, but my current situation makes it a little difficult.:bawl:

I have a slow leak in my left front tire. It's probably time to check it again!

Another question: Anyone ever have their front locker make all kinds of noise when braking, if one tire locks up and the other doesn't? I had to make a panic stop today and it sounded like my front axle rolled under the jeep!

I guess I'm just new to this locker stuff.

TRSCobra said:
I have a slow leak in my left front tire. It's probably time to check it again!

Another question: Anyone ever have their front locker make all kinds of noise when braking, if one tire locks up and the other doesn't? I had to make a panic stop today and it sounded like my front axle rolled under the jeep!

I guess I'm just new to this locker stuff.

That was the locker "locking up" due to one tire still turning and another was not. You'll get use to it!

sorry for side tracking this thread, but i'm new to the autolocker methods. i'm trying to understand... when the rig is in 2WD, the aussie (if installed in the front) does not work, correct? but even though it's not working, they still make the clicking noises? so in this case (brought up by this thread) it's a possibility that the clicking noise, although the locker is disengaged, is because of difference in tire pressure??

this was my assumption from what i've read so far...not sure if i'm understanding everything correctly.

Front automatic lockers usually don't make noises like that unless there's a lot of torque being put down on the axle. Remember, when you drive in 2WD you're not engaging the front axle to do anything except spin the tires in movement. However, you DO have to make turns, and every once in awhile the locker may "chirp" as torque is transferred through the axle during a turn. Front autos should be quiet until you engage them for offroad maneuvers, then you'll feel a real difference in handling.

Alson note: road conditions like snow, ice, or gravel/dirt/mud can cause the axle to torque, engaging the locker at the same time. The only type of lockers that won't engage unless directly set are the manual selectable ones like the ARB and Ox lockers.

Last edited:
Just an idea, but have you checked your tires for rocks stuck in the tread?

A couple weeks ago I had a relatively big rock stuck in one of my tires that made a similar noise. It was big enough I thought I had lost a wheel weight when I got on the highway. Cleared rock out of the tread, the noise and my tire vibration @ 55 both went away.

Wouldn't it be nice if the problem was that simple, but it's just a thought.

TRSCobra said:
It's the same frequency as when I make a turn

The frequency of the clicking when turning varies with both the speed and tightness of the turn. I've never heard clicking when going anything close to straight.

TRSCobra said:
I installed an aussie locker in my d30 a few months back and it has worked great. I get some clicking in turns and the occasional louder clunk, but it's quieted down alot as it has broken in. In the past few weeks, I've noticed a faint clicking when I'm going straight in 2wd. It's the same frequency as when I make a turn, but even quieter. It's so faint that it can only be heard with the radio off and the heater fan on low or off.

This would make sense if one tire was low on air, but I think it would need to be a significant difference in diameter to warrant the clicking frequency to be as fast as it is.

I suppose it's possible that the noise isn't even from the locker, but it sounds as if it is.

Has anyone had a similar issue? I know I should really just pop the cover and see if anything's worn/broken, but my current situation makes it a little difficult.:bawl:

I am in the exact same boat but with Lockrites f/r. I went to the snow and hit some ice and the lockers sounded like they gernaded in the pumpkins. I was really worried but then it worked perfectly when I needed to clmb through a rock garden. Now when I go straight sometimes, on dry pavement, the front locker will "search" to lock and click for a while. I have not taken the cover off either due to time constraints and the fact that I just changed the fluid. But is this normal for auto lockers or is there something wrong with ours?

Well, it turns out my "slow leak" is getting faster. I had 20 psi in the left and 35 in the right. Aired up and no more noise.

I'm not losin any sleep over this anyways. If the locker grenades, it's just an excuse to put a detroit in and regear.

TRSCobra said:
That can be pretty terrifying. The first time it happened to me I had to pull over until my hands stopped shaking and to make sure the transmission hadn't fallen out.

When you get the Detroit, you'll get to learn a whole new set of noises. :)

-----Matt-----

I was more scared 10 minutes later when I spun an '04 S2000 180* in the middle of a 5 lane road. I later found out they suffer from "snap oversteer".

Long story.

TRSCobra said:
I was more scared 10 minutes later when I spun an '04 S2000 180* in the middle of a 5 lane road. I later found out they suffer from "snap oversteer".
I could have told you that. "Predictable" is not a word I would ever associate with that weed-eater powered dog. :twak:

The '05's are supposed to be better, FWIW.

-----Matt-----

I was just happy I wasn't forced to purchase the car via totaling it. Now I can test drive my dream car: an M roadster. :)

Did I say M roadster? I meant z3. Those M cars are just too powerful.
:laugh3:
J/K, I remember a certain 1 am Seattle-to-Tacoma trip when I drove your car. And you kept begging me to get on it!

I just gotta find my Z06 now...

Back