• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auburn Gear

I do not have one in my XJ, but I have one in my mustang. It has held up fine w/ slicks for qiute a few years now. I leave the line at about 5000 rpm and I have know problems. It also works great on the street very quiet. Hope that helps.

It's not going to compare to a Detroit, but it is a very postitive limited slip, What type of tranny do you have? Is your rig a daily driver?

It's not a Detroit or any locker, and like all limited slips it will give up when you need it most. In the rear axle, however, you can pull the e-brake and it stays pretty damn positive. I've walked over stuff at low range idle speed with one tire in the air with the Auburn and e-brake, and I've also run into situations where it just spun (although you can spin two tires with a locker as well).

Onroad, it is nearly transparent. A Detroit is not. The Auburn is about the same strength as a Detroit. If you only do moderate wheeling, and Auburn is an excellent choice. I've run tons of "locker only" trails with limited slips due to the XJ's wheelbase and flex. However, with an auto tranny, a Detroit drives no differently than an Auburn on the open road, even twisty roads. It is only around town that it clunks around some, and offroad it is a dream.

So...if you like to drive fast around town and your wheeling isn't super hardcore, get the Auburn. If offroad performance is your focus and you are willing to adapt your around town driving, and you have an auto tranny, get a Detroit. With a 5 speed, I'd spend on the ARB to avoid the constant engage/disengage you'll get with the Detroit and manual tranny. FWIW, I used to have the Auburn and have a Detroit now. I love the Detroit, but getting it was what finally moved me to retire my XJ to a second vehicle.

Nay

I have a manual trans and just grenaded my Detroit, I am told that no replacement parts are available. I love the Detroit but I didn't like the street manners and this is my DD.

Thanks For the info

Rick95XJ
NAXJA #541

Back