• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are you fat?

Ray H said:
About your father.
I know where you're coming from. My parents got a nasty divorce when I was 14. It ws bad, I remember many nights that dad threatening to kill us and I waited by the door with a rifle waiting to blow him away as soon as he walked in. I had no contact with my father from age 14 to 32. I had no idea where he was or what he was doing. When I was 32 my mother suddenly died. For some reason I figured that my father should know so I searched him down and sent a letter to him telling him about my mom and updating him on myself. Sort of an open hand. He excepted my open hand and we have been father and son again for the past 10 years. Contacting him was the best thing I could've done. He really had changed, I guess I had also and understand a little better what he had gone through. Anyway, just my .02

Interesting, except he wasn't my father - he was my stepfather. I've caught up with Dad (he and Mom got divorced in 1974 or so, after he came back from Vietnam. Drafted, ended up a medic, and got mortared 11 months into the 13-month tour.) Dad and I are on very good terms - and catching up for the 25 years we missed out on. I've even managed to run down my bother (his other son, second marriage) in Germany, where he's also with the Army.

As far as the guy I'm talking about (the one who did such a good job of making my life Hell growing up...) I could honestly care less if the Earth opened up and swallowed him whole. I'm past the point where I'd have a party around his obit (I think...) but there's still a part of me that gets the warm fuzzies thinking about it... I don't know what his problem is - I've met his parents, and they're decent folks. His brothers weren't bad guys either - just him. Grr.

5-90 said:
Interesting, except he wasn't my father - he was my stepfather. .

Oh, I see.
I got lucky as far as step dads go. When I mom remarried, her husband turned out to be pretty cool. He was a pretty good role model for me from 14 until I went in the Marine Corps at 18. Its the weirdest thing, he had older kids and they would not talk to him at all.

Ray H said:
Oh, I see.
I got lucky as far as step dads go. When I mom remarried, her husband turned out to be pretty cool. He was a pretty good role model for me from 14 until I went in the Marine Corps at 18. Its the weirdest thing, he had older kids and they would not talk to him at all.

Mum just got remarried (again! The day before I got clobbered this last time, in fact...) and he's a decent sort. 23 years USAFR, Army re-tread, and he's been working for Neoteric Hovercraft for the last 20 years or so.

I'm already "his son" - he's got two daughters, and always wanted a son. Who am I to correct him? As I'd said, he's a decent sort, and my wife has two kids that I treat like my own, so there's already some precedent anyhow... For not wanting to get married again, I think Mum made a good call on this one.

No, I am not fat. I am the same weight as I was when I joined the US Army at 17 years old in the early '80s. I am blessed with being able to eat what I want, when I want.... and drink as much beer as I want.... and not get fat. Good metabolism and being just active enough must do it for me. I am no sloth.

I grew up wearing "Husky" sized pants. I hated that. About 200 lbs. in high school. Got up to 230 in my bouncer days. In my 20s and 30s, I had high cholesterol and blood pressure.

Now in my mid-40s, I'm 6' and 185 lbs. Physical work and mountain biking has kept my weight down and my blood pressure is back to normal. Now that I don't have a physical job, I have to keep up on the biking.

I have a tendency to eat junk food. But I've been trying to watch what I eat and have been doing better. I've kept a few of my New Years' resolutions so far - no french fries or other fried food, less soda consumption, and no alcohol.

I also have a severe sweet tooth, but I've limited that too. I better, because both my parents and both my sisters are diabetic.

I'm just getting older. At 174 lbs and 5'11 I'm just on the edge of getting 'fat' according to the chart listed earlier. I don't like the idea of buying pants with a 33" waist.
Okay, so a big 'boo-hoo" to me from some of you bigger guys. The problem is I usedto be an athlete. I raced motocross until I tore a knee up in '84.
During rehab I found a new sport called mountain biking. LOVED it.
Raced the Kamakazi at Mammoth Mt. then discovered cross country racing.
Even got picked up on a factory team for a few years....
I weighed 150 during my racing days, ate all I wanted (and more) but body parts started wearing out. The wife wanted her husband back (racing and training was ALL I did for three years.) So I quit and started this slow movement to my present size.
Its time I do something about it.
My new Mt.Bike should arrive today....:D

Rick

Last edited:
No I'm dead sexy. Im about 5'8 and 135lbs with a decent build and less than 10% body fat. I dont think Im healthy at all though. I smoked for the last year and a half, but I quit about a month ago(girlfriend). I dont eat fast food for every meal, but usually four times a week. Thats been cut back too, Im trying to save money for my stroker. Hello Hamburger Helper and water. I think I could stand to gain some weight, so Ive started on the boflex. Anyone have results or opinions about those?

Sounds like me...

5'7ish, 135 lbs, been the same exact weight for the last 8 years. Not a damn thing I can do about it. Single-digit body fat and the fact that I stay pretty physically active means I'm fairly strong for my size, which is fun. I still play ultimate frisbee fairly often and can sprint faster than most guys on the team, I go mountain biking during the summer as often as I can, I try and do one or two backpacking trips a year (2 nights, ~15-20 miles per day).

Flip side of things, is I pay little to no attention to what I eat, I drink coffee and soda a lot, I drink heavier beers (IPAs, pale ales, darker lagers) pretty often. An occasional cigarette or cigar here and there. I basically realize how fortunate I am to have a wicked metabolism so I might as well enjoy it now, although at times I'm sure I'm borderline on taking it for granted. Some day it'll probably slow down and then I'll start paying more attention to it.

with a capital PH...

5'10 175. I need to lose a couple.

I'm 6' and 178lbs. 32" pants hang a little low on my waist, and (not bragging) but I've got a "six pack."

And that chart says I'm almost overweight! :dunno:

Anyone who knows me will say I'm skinny as a rail (used to have 3.5% BMI)

Since then I've gained over 30 lbs from army training and lifting.

If I'm almost overweight, then those kids in somalia are ideal... :looney:

yeah,i am fat,but have been holding steady for a couple months finally.I am 5'10" and weigh 225. I am very stocky in the chest and arm area,but have quite a belly also. I have to exercise hard to lose any weight,no matter how good i eat and haven't had time to get to the gym much the last couple months. you guys are proud of your six packs? I have a 12 pack!! :)

6'2", 250# (last time I checked) was like 220 this time last year, But 7month winters got to me lol. I haven't been to the gym in who knows how long. there are days where I watch what I eat and not what I drink. Too much soda. That and playing World of Warcraft in my free time does me no good =(

Though I stopped drinkin alcohol and dropped a waste size :D

That was my new years resolution for '07 at the age of 22. So far so good.... somehow lol

This reminds me of something our local club brought up once. They had a contest where everyone went and got a full physical for heart rate, BMI, Cholestorol and all that fun stuff, then had a set time to see who changed improved the most. The person most improved got some kind of gift certificate or club stickers (i forget). But everyone felt great and they tried harder as they were in a competition.

Maybe..... Give that a shot?

Im just shy of 6'. around 190. Not fat, just out of shape. I blame the desk job and my girlfriend. I grew up outside and active, she's just the opposite.

That and I catch myself eating just because it tastes good. Just had pizza for lunch. Not hungry, but I had a few pieces of candy from the dish in the front office. No reason other than it tastes good.

Ive also realized that my diet isn't healthy. I eat very very few veggies. Lots of meat, mostly chicken in various forms. Plain chicken sandwhiches usually if I have to eat out. Never snack other than at work if they throw something good in the candy dish. No soda. No chips, no bacon/sausage/eggs. Not that I don't like that stuff, I just don't usually eat it. So I assumed it was a pretty healthy diet, but it may be to bland to be healthy as well. No balance. Maybe that's why Im tired all the time.

AkJeepKid said:
6'2", 250# (last time I checked) was like 220 this time last year, But 7month winters got to me lol. I haven't been to the gym in who knows how long. there are days where I watch what I eat and not what I drink. Too much soda. That and playing World of Warcraft in my free time does me no good =(

Though I stopped drinkin alcohol and dropped a waste size :D

That was my new years resolution for '07 at the age of 22. So far so good.... somehow lol
I've got a number of friends who have gained at least 20-30# from Wow

Ramsey said:
I've got a number of friends who have gained at least 20-30# from Wow

Yea, I mean you sit around and do nothing for hours on end. Time flies and you don't even notice. I picked up mens health not too long ago (every once in a while I pick one up) and this one had some good recipies in it. Food was good and healthy which is a plus.

Candy around the office is BAD... lol im not fond of people who set this fatty dish of tasty treats.

Someone mentioned cutting out eggs earlier. I make scrambled eggs using like 4 egg whites and 1 yoke. If i use less egg white, it not enough to fill me up and I get hungry like hour later.

Oh well Im sure we can brain storm some good stuff up =)

OK. Like it says here, 6'0" and 383# - always 'tomorrow' I'm gonna start getting back into shape. So, I've been saying that and there's a workout room with weights, an eliptical and a bike right outside my office. So, today I made up a workout routine:

cardio, chest, biceps, abs on Monday and Friday;
cardio, shoulders,legs, and lower back on Tuesday and Thursday;
cardio, upper back, triceps and abs on Wednesday.

I've got a half-hour lunch and I can add whatever time I need to at the end of the day if I run over the half-hour (it's called 'Maxiflex'). Not much time available after work (kids to pick up, yada, yada, yada) so its got to be pretty much the half-hour a day. As I said, I used to do 2 1/2hrs-a-day, 6 days a week, but that was then and this is now.

I've got it charted out and pinned to the wall where everybody can see it, so if I slack everyone will know about it. Cardio will start at 5 minutes on the eliptical or bike and work up to 10 minutes over five weeks. The rest of it will have to fit into the remainder of the half-hour.

Wish me luck. I don't know what weights I will start at, but it shouldn't take long to figure that out. I'll record the weight for each set on the chart. Here's March as an example (March 1st and 2nd are on the February chart).

weightchartdu3.jpg

The first routine begins today at 15:00cst. whoohoo! Just so y'all know - I hate cardio work (n)

Back