• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are there any alternatives to the RE control arm drop brackets???

BrettM said:
I'd MUCH rather have drop brackets and a locker than longarms and open.

Offroad ability is determined by the entire package.

Obviously my opinion is bias but you can always buy a locker. Going from one suspension system to another at a later point in time (no matter which way you decide to go initially) may actually make the build more expensive than it needs to be. Pick which one you'd rather have - aka the one that will give you the most of what you want. I'm not just saying that because you're looking at the Y-Link kit...I'd have the same opinion if you were trying to decide between Rusty's or R.E.'s LA kit and the drop brackets.

My opinion has always been to "build it right once". Sometimes that requires that you spread your project out over time in order to accomplish this but in the long run you'll save money. Example: Go from 4" to 6.5" and, if nothing else, you need new driveshafts or will have to have them lengthened twice. Usually doing driveshafts twice costs more than the 4" and 6.5" lift up front.

Don't let the budget you have today get between you and what you want tomorrow. If you keep your rig in wheeling form the entire time you can still have a good time and get where you want to go ultimately.

Matt

P.S. If part of your problem is convincing your wife/husband (PC), try using some of what I just wrote. It makes sense and if they think you're saving money, it won't be as difficult of a sale. :D

Well, I'm not gonna start an argument especially with Jason from Jeepinoutfitters.com because he's a good guy who I've purchased from before and will purchase from again but just wanted to throw in what I found out.

Here is what it states on their website with the brackets:

Rubicon Express now makes a Control Arm drop bracket kit for the Jeep Cherokee. This corrects the steep angle of the control arms after a lift of 3" or more. Included in the price is a set of brackets normally sold seperately which you won't want to do the job without.

And when I inquired specifically about it in email here is the response I got:

Yes, this does come with the extra braces. It doesn’t normally come this way, but we sell it this way because we believe that it’s the only right way to install it. It normally will ship in 24 to 48 hours from the time of order. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Thanks,

Mike

So everything points to the fact that they do come with the extra braces. In all honesty I was going to order from Jason even at a slightly higher cost because I know he's a top notch guy but I fell into the order with the other guys and am making the purchase to help another friend out of a bind. We'll see what actually shows up and if I'm screwed over in the deal then lesson learned and I have to fab up the braces or order them from Jason.

Twistedimg said:
Well, I'm not gonna start an argument especially with Jason from Jeepinoutfitters.com because he's a good guy who I've purchased from before and will purchase from again but just wanted to throw in what I found out.

Here is what it states on their website with the brackets:

And when I inquired specifically about it in email here is the response I got:

So everything points to the fact that they do come with the extra braces. In all honesty I was going to order from Jason even at a slightly higher cost because I know he's a top notch guy but I fell into the order with the other guys and am making the purchase to help another friend out of a bind. We'll see what actually shows up and if I'm screwed over in the deal then lesson learned and I have to fab up the braces or order them from Jason.

I think it highly unlikely that he won't ship them together if he says they will. I have to commend him on his opinion too.

Hey, if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. Their site does say at the end that the DB's include "extra brackets", but it doesn't specifically state it comes with the RE9905 braces. Sounds like there might be some conflicting info coming from ORTS as "Chris" supposedly said that the online price is just for the RE9900 DB's, but "Mike" says the kit does include them. Honestly, unless they ship via some ultra cheap carrier, I can't see how they're making any money at all selling both the RE9900 DB's and RE9905 braces for the $249.99 shipped that they show on their site. I too believe it's the only way to install them (braces with the DB's), which is why we list them as a kit on our site, and not seperately.

As far as DB's vs long-arms, that's a tough call, especially with only 4.5" of lift. If we were talking 7" or more, no brainer, long-arms for sure. With a 4.5" lift, I think it would be hard to justify the extra cost and labor of a long-arm kit, vs DB's and reusing your existing control arms. Factoring in the cost of a good belly skid definitely closes the gap though, and you could make back some $$$ by selling your existing arms. I do think that Matt and the crew at T&T Customs have come out with the best designed long-arm kit for the XJ that's currently on the market though.

scorpion said:
I think it highly unlikely that he won't ship them together if he says they will. I have to commend him on his opinion too.
I don't doubt the integrity of these guys at OFTS either (I got my lift kit from them), but I think there may be confusion between Mike and Chris about which "braces" they are talking about.

All I know is that I talked to Chris on the phone, while he was out at their XJ looking at the parts mounted, and he said what I posted previously^^.

P.S. Scorpion, you and me think along the same lines....thanks to everyone for their input.

96XJCLASSIC said:
I agree. Long arms aren't going to help offroad ability as much as lockers will.

Ditto!

In fact, nearly all long arms won't increase off road ability at all over drop brackets. It all comes down to personal preference.......and what's cool. I thought we'd eventually get away from it, but it hasn't happened yet, most bolt on long arm kits are bought because they're cool rather than because they'll increase capability.

Goatman said:
Ditto!
most bolt on long arm kits are bought because they're cool rather than because they'll increase capability.

That is DEFINATELY why I designed my suspension.

It's all about the bling.

Goatman said:
Ditto!

In fact, nearly all long arms won't increase off road ability at all over drop brackets. It all comes down to personal preference.......and what's cool. I thought we'd eventually get away from it, but it hasn't happened yet, most bolt on long arm kits are bought because they're cool rather than because they'll increase capability.

I think this will draw us back to the ever-present longarm/DB debate which has been going on for quite some time.

The test that has really never been done is a third party completely un-biased opinion on which rides better and that's mostly because almost no one is interested in installing both as brand new kits and giving them the exact same beatdown (all scenarios) in a scientific way.

The undeniable difference between the two is cost. Going any deeper into differences would require looking at individual LA kits and their features/benefits and comparing them to those of Drop Brackets.

I think the beauty of it all is that there's something out there for everyone and as long as your pleased with what you have, it's difficult to complain. They guys that are in the market to buy really just need to list out the pros and cons of each kit and determine which better suits their needs.

Matt

I just bought the RE drops from Off Road Toy Store. The web page is a mistake. It should not include the braces for $249. They split the diffrence with me and sold me the drops and braces for $274.95. The guy told me they would run this deal until the end of the week when they get the web site fixed.

BLUECHEROKEE744 said:
Rusty's offroad does custom brackets. you'd have to call to find out prices

Why did you dig up a thread from almost a month ago?

Since its already bumped. Just to clarify, the brackets from Off Road Toy Store did come with the braces and everything for $250. I've had it all installed for a couple weeks now.

xjcadropbrackets01.jpg

Twisted

Looks like you have the drop brackets installed on the RE4.5" kit. It also looks like your lower control arms are fixed. Have you had any issues with the arms now being too long? Is your axle placement correct and your caster?

I would like to add the drop braces to my 4.5" kit as well. Any info would be helpful. Thanks, Paul

Back