• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are people replacing T-stats and Water pumps

what about the water pump and other components of the cooling system? is it gonna be a crapshoot when i buy one or are there some quality ones out there? I hear of people having them fail outa the box and it freaks me out a bit.

buy a flowkooler

Got my water pump from NAPA and my thermostat from the Chrysler dealer. I can't recommend a water pump from Advance Auto Parts, or their ilk. Stant (I think) makes a Thermostst with a V-notch in it that functions similar to the ball bearing check valve in the OEM Tstat (so I've heard). I have no experience with these, I just stick with the OEM Tstat - $9.50.

Gates hoses from NAPA are good and are the correct preform. The lower hose dosen't have the internal spring however. Most operators transfer the spring from the old hose to the new one (use liquid dish soap to help it in - completely rinse the soap out before install).

Check the thermostat housing hose fitting for corrosion pitting. Mine was pitted badly. NAPA should have what you need.

Retain the contant pressure clamps on the hoses. They are the best. Worm clamps are for carnival vehicles. :) Just get the correct pliers for them from a parts store.

I used a product called 'Plumber's Fauct and Valve Grease' made by Harvey's (available at Lowes or Home Depot) to lightly coat the hose adaptors on the pump, thermostat housing, and heater hose nipples, to allow ease of installation of the hoses - zero leaks. This grease is waterproof and is used in hot water and steam systems, up to 350*F.

I used Hylomar 'Universal Blue Racing Formula Gasket & Sealing Compound' on the thermostat housing and pump gaskets. Apply a thin coat to both sides of the gaskets and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before assembly. I used Hylomar sealant on Rolls-Royce jet engines for years. Very good product.

Check out the bearing in the tensioner pulley while you have things apart. Mine was wasted. Advance, and others, have Dayton pulleys, which are good.

It's a good idea to use a torque wrench on the pulley bolts.

A new drive belt may be in order as well.

buy a flowkooler

Meh. Overpriced for what they are.

Make your own cheaper -
Start with a stock pump. Go to Lowes/Home Depot/wherever and get the flat galvanized sheets they use for roof repair. They are like 4"x6" and come in a pack of 5 for just a few $$. Cut a circular piece that is the same diameter as your water pump impeller. Rivet new piece to impeller. Viola! Homebrew Flowcooler.

Not that the Flowcooler really does anything anyway. We have better results with the stock pump in our racer.

Back