• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To Moab/Colorado and back along I-70, What would you bring?

Pete M

NAXJA Forum User
Say you were going to drive this:
70893605.jpg

To this:
93868994.jpg

which is 24 hrs from Michigan (spread over 4 days so hopefully the drive is still fun and doesn't become a chore), and you didn't have a tow rig. The first weekend is in Moab with Rick and his MJ and friends, then my best bud Mike flys in to Denver from Michigan and joins me for hiking in Colorado during the week, the second is more trail riding with Rick and others in Colorado, then Mike flies home and I hit the road, the last weekend is in Illinois at the Rockport offroad Park with a bunch of Comanche owners and others from a local Jeep club, then I head for home.
What would you bring?

Stats: 88 MJ,
186k mile 4.0 with newer
-radiator hoses/coolant/t-stat
-water pump
-alternator
-brakes and brake lines,
-Optima yellow top

and low mileage:
-TJ AX-15 and np-231,
-'78 Bronco 44 and 9",
-33" trXus MTs,

Also have a real rollbar, strong bumpers/tow points, and *finally* some rocker protection (more on that later).

What I've got so far:
-full set of junkyard shafts for the 44,
-one spare for the 9" (not sure how I could possibly break it, but it was free),
-spare U-joints,
-spare junkyard tie rod,
-6 quarts of oil,
-brake fluid,
-wd40 and other various fluids,
-gallon of antifreeze for small problems, if it's a big problem, then I'll just be dumping in water
-two 7 gallon container for water,
-10 gallons of gas,
-a receiver rack on the bumper with a huge soft sided waterproof container on it for all the camping gear and anything else that needs to stay dry,
-small mechanical bottle jack,
-hi-lift,
-hydraulic floor jack (makes changing the tire sooooo much easier than the hi-lift),
-a 3 foot length of 2" pipe for use as an extension on the breaker bar or whatever,
-33" spare that's barely road worthy but should get me to the next town, (I'm thinking of also bringing one of the "okay" 31 inch tires I got at the junkyard but not sure about that yet),
-various screws/bolts/etc,
-removed the A/C condenser because the A/C doesn't work and so the condenser is just blocking the radiator,
-non-broken fan shroud for the mechanical fan,
-junkyard auxiliary fan that doesn't make all the racket that the old one did (on a switch/relay now so it can't fail to come on like it did to me on the dunes),
-T-case skidplate,
-Co2 tank, $10 pump as a backup,
-impact wrench
-second battery (in the bed and not hooked up, but I can jumpstart myself),
-head gasket kit (I've got it so I might as well bring it, right?),
-various tarps and pieces of cardboard,
-spare belt,
-spare starter,
-spare coolant pressure tank,
-chains and yank strap,
-two four foot long 2"x8" planks
-a whole mess of ratchet straps,
-tow bar,
-Cell phone with nationwide coverage
-laptop for collecting photos from digi camera
-phoneline internet access for sharing the photos and stories mid-trip (most likely on comancheclub.com but it depends on how good the access is)
-CB
-12 mile radios
-hub socket, breaker bar, etc. (practically a full set of tools so I won't list them all, but if you have any specific suggestions, I'm all ears
-coffee can
-10 quart catch pan and an empty gallon jug for fluids
-bunch of hose clamps
-couple different funnels
-short lengths of chain
-2 inverters
-Fluorescent drop light for nighttime repairs
-jumper cables
-extra blankets
-first aid kit
-bars leak
-silicone for gaskets etc.
-3 fire extinguishers
-lots of flashlights and led lights
-MAPP gas torch
-that seal-all tape that is stretchy and sticks to itself
-little tent for when it's just me and the dog
-big tent for when my friend Mike joins us for the middle week in Colorado (he's flying to Denver)
-chairs (I sure ain't sitting on the ground for 3 weeks)
-electric and gas stoves for boiling water
-and CDs, lots and lots and lots of CDs.
-cameras: one digi, one expensive film, three disposible films (for handing to other people to snap pics of my truck in action), and one camcorder with lots of tapes
-factory shop manual, haynes, chiltons
-Credit Card! :D

Also add to the list everything my dog will need for the journey. Water (and a way to bring it with me on hikes), food, dishes, treats, bedding, sweater, poop bags, leash, 15' cable and stake for around camp, rabies papers, extra blankets in case it's cold at night, harness for trail riding...
and I'm sure I'm forgetting to add stuff on this list that I have.

Things I've yet to get:
-spare alternator
-tire plug kit
-air/fuel filters
-one of those cheap camp toilets (the camp ground at Moab may have flush toilets and showers, but the middle-of-nowhere in Colorado sure doesn't)
-hydration backpack
-and I'm sure a whole lot of butterflies-in-the-stomach once I hit the open road :D

To me, self-sufficiency and preparing for the worst is what Jeepin' is all about. right? :D I'm just not one of the "take only what you need too survive" kind of guys.
Jeep on!
--Pete

P.S. don't bother suggesting I rent something. renting a pickup for 3 weeks is upwards of a grand, and renting a Uhaul truck big enough to carry my truck is $1800 oneway. :scared: That kind of money could pay for all sorts of roadside repairs. :repair:

P.S.S. in case all else fails, does anyone live near I-70 between Michigan and Utah that could give me a tow if I need it? Or at least maybe a ride into the nearest town? Another Jeeper suggested it and I thought it was a great idea! I'm a patient guy and it won't be a drop everything-and-come-get-me thing. Just for if I can't fix it (and I happen to have cell coverage in the middle of nowhere) and town is too long of a hike away and you can come get my sorry butt after you get off work or something.
[email protected]

Last edited:
Petey, I'm just west of St Louis 5 minutes off I-70... I've got a tow rig & trailer if you need a hand. Actually if you are passing through and want to meet for a meal, it'll be my treat.

That post should also state that I leave on May 3rd and the first weekend is May7th, and then obviously the second if May 14th and then May 21st. All three are MJ PowWows and we're looking for Comanche owners whoe want to go wheelin'! Your truck doesn't have to be super lifted to have fun. We'll be gearing at least part of our selected trails towards the least built MJ among us so everybody gets to have fun. Of course XJ owners are welcome to come too. The more Jeeps the merrier! Go to comancheclub.com (then click to get to the yahoo group) or email me with the few details we have so far. This is VERY laid back so don't be expecting to find some huge get-together with tents and elephants.

Lawn cher you've got yourself a deal if we can work it out! :D send me an email.
Any chance you can go wheelin' at RORP on May 21st?

Wolfman, send me an email.
Any chance you can go wheelin' on the weekend of the 14th? We're not yet sure what Colorado trail we're doing yet.

Jeep on!
--Pete
[email protected]

Last edited:
You sure you got enough crap to carry with you? :shocked:
The thought of being able to fix every possible thing on the trail is a good one. It just seems like you're carrying so much crap that you WILL have to be fixing items because of the insane amount of weight you'll be carrying. Are you sure you can pack all this stuff safely and make the trip/wheel/ and make the return trip? Have you tried? I'm not putting you down, I'm just saying think about it for a little bit. It's not like you're going out and wheelin' alone(or are you?). I envy your planned trip and wish I was back out there once again.

None of the wheeling will be alone, but the drive there will be just me, my truck and the dog. What would you leave behind? Don't worry about space, I'm a wiz at packing and love a challenge. :D Weight is a concern though, but not at the expense of being stuck on the side of the freeway with an easily fixable dilema like a ruptured pressure tank. Plus, not all of this will be wheeling with me. The vast majority of it will be left back at camp and I'll come get it if needed. I've got to focus on finals this week and come friday I'll be able to start amassing the goods and loading up the pack horse and I'll see what's what.
Jeep on!
--Pete

Last edited:
I've done several loong trips with my MJ including California to Michigan and back. Here are the things that I have had go out on me:

-D30 hub (maybe bring one for your 44?)
-water pump
-rear-main seal
-serp. belt
-driveshaft u-joint

Sounds like a very cool trip! I'm also in St. Louis and will help if I can. I'll PM my cell # and the number of a very good Jeep mechanic in the area. I'll probably be up for wheeling at RORP too, will check the calendar tomorrow. Any idea when you'll be passing through St. Louis on the way out West?

PA to Colorado's San Juans several years back the things i had to fix were a Fuel Injector O-ring, lost fuel tank cap, Motor Mount.

The o-ring was a good one, several hours drive into town to get a replacement..

Guess I got a shopping list for the junkyard this saturday. :D Thanks!
Jeep on!
--Pete

I intend to hit Paragon later this summer. :D Exactly when depends on how the ol' girl does and what my work schedule is like (the work schedule of that job I don't have yet). :laugh3:
Jeep on!
--Pete

Pete,

The injector O ring suggestion is a great one, definitely pick up a few of those.

I'll PM you my cell # in case you have issues while in Colorado. I've got a tow rig and trailer if needed. I'll check out your website to see what you're running and maybe I can join up for a run.

Sounds like you'll have a good trip!

Troy

You should find plenty of Jeeps in and around RORP on May 21st. That's the weekend of Two Rivers Jeep Club's annual 4x4 Safari. I would expect that the park will still be open that weekend (a couple of the club's trails cover part of the park), but you might want to check with Tom & Debbie just to be on the safe side. I know I'll be in Pittsfield that weekend so maybe we can meet up for something frosty.

I'd suggest a trailer for a majority of the bulkier items; split the weight between the bed and trailer. My .02
Sounds like an enviable trip, except I already live here. :sunshine:

rj454 said:
I'd suggest a trailer for a majority of the bulkier items; split the weight between the bed and trailer. My .02

yup - then you can just drop the trailer in camp and go wheel!

Brett - a rear main seal? that is a fun roadside fix...

XJ_ranger said:
yup - then you can just drop the trailer in camp and go wheel!

Brett - a rear main seal? that is a fun roadside fix...
it happened in Nevada driving from Cali to Michigan. I knew it would be way too much a pain to fix roadside so I dumped in 8 or 10 quarts over the next 2000 miles and changed it on the lift in the shop at school. After getting into it, it was a damn good thing, that was a PITA even with a lift, air tools, etc.

now the time I dropped the rear driveshaft on the ground going 75mph in BFE Wyoming is a much better story :rolleyes:

Back