• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB or Detroit. Which one for the front?

Rawbrown said:
I say detroit. nothing wrong with em. everyone is gung-ho for ARB's. I like the "set it and forget it" bit and I go all over the place... when I wheel.
How many competition rigs run ARB's ?

A buddy of mine pulled his Detroit out & put an ARB in because he thought it would help in Comps. Now that he is no longer competing he is going to put the Detroit back in.

Paul

ARB for all the reasons above, plus another. Its nice to give you a little extra bit of challengle also. We do alot more trails than just the hammers. With the arb you can shut it off, and practice driving. I often run long sections of trail in 2wd low range open out back (rubicon, fordyce, swamp, moab etc.) if it gets a little harder I run open, open(4wd without lockers). Then I'll add a rear locker or a front the versatiltity is awesome. I really have a good handle on how my junk will handle depending on what mode I am in and I think its made me a better driver than I was before. It also allows me to be a little nicer to my dana 30 up front which is important.

I have had problems with the arb air lines (operator error) its a drag when it does not work right but its not a major failure, you may have to take a pull on the winch.

BTW I am a major cheapskate, I got the front end with arb used, but I bought the rear arb it was not much more than a detroit for an 8.8.

I don't think your $ comparision of the being equal to detroit + warns = cost of arb is right. you are probably adding the cost of the compressor in there and you should have oba anyway. Of course I am out of touch of dana 44 locker costs.

Ask me again in 6 months. So far I like it.

Hey Dan -
Didn't I see you buy a used ARB? Isn't this thread moot?

Hey Dan, as you can see, everyone is recomending what they are running (except Paul). I'm running a Detroit, and that's what I recomend.

Here's how I look at this subject. If you want absolutely no hassle reliability and performance and are willing to live with tight steering on occasion......get the Detroit. If you are willing to live with the potential for locker malfunctions (internal seal, external fittings and hose, solenoids, etc.), and with turning the locker on and off regularly, and you are not willing to live with tight steering now and then.......then get the ARB.

Remember though, that many of the times that you're in a tight spot on the trail, you are also in the middle of an obstacle with your locker on, so it makes no difference whether you have an ARB or a Detroit. I use 2 low often, and nearly all of the times that I make sure I'm in 2 low to be able to make a tighter turn, it's on a relatively easy section of trail where I just don't want to bother backing up. Now, I really, really like my 2 low. If I had an ARB, I might really like it......except for the fact I'm part of the group who wants absolutely reliable performance and I'm willing to live with a quirk or two. It's a very personal thing.

Now get the Detroit, get the Warn shafts, and get out to JV in the fall. :D

Another vote for ARB. It really is the best of both worlds. Even when I run trails I leave it off untill it's needed; climbing, slop, or when I use it to "pull" my front end around in a tight spot.
A locked front end really does handle horribly, don't let anyone fool you. Your turning radius goes to hell and you can feel all the stress on the drivetrain.
If it's a DD then there really is no choice, here. Keep in mind, I love my Detroit, in the REAR.

I went with the ARB because of winter driving and being able to turn it off when it is not needed. For the most part, I only turn it on when I cannot make the obstical without it. I wheel with a couple of others that have detroits in the front and I know they wish they either could turn it off or had 2 low.

As far as compressor, electrical or solenoid problems...! I am using a pneumatic switch and running mine off of my CO2 tank. There is no electrical in my system at all...!

Back