• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone that hasn't adjusted their Throttle Valve cable do it. WOW.

in the original directions, there should be a number 3.5 and a number 5--

3.5) do not release button
5.) now release button

If you release the button, it will have to fight the built-in lock to pull the cable

Shorty says to hold the button until AFTER you cycle WOT.

If you continue to hold it as you rotate the throttle the conduit will come out. Release the button after you push the conduit in then rotate like the original post.

Krawler says to release before BEFORE you cycle WOT.

So I tried both ways:
Releasing button BEFORE WOT
LINK

Releasing button AFTER WOT
LINK

I am having very abrupt shifting and TC lock/unlock issues which is why I'm trying this. When I went out to do this, the sheath was pushed all the way in.

Thoughts?

I am having very abrupt shifting and TC lock/unlock issues which is why I'm trying this. When I went out to do this, the sheath was pushed all the way in.

Thoughts?

Could you elaborate a bit more on your shifting and TC issues

I'm going to try this adjustment on my Jeep today

Shorty says to hold the button until AFTER you cycle WOT.

Krawler says to release before BEFORE you cycle WOT.

So I tried both ways:
Releasing button BEFORE WOT
LINK

Releasing button AFTER WOT
LINK

Thoughts?

I read recently read that about 50% is a good default place to try. Mine makes about 30% difference, between about 40% and 70% open depending on which method I use, partly because mine sticks I think in one method, but I have tried extremes of this on mine, on my 87, with the old and new transmission, and see little difference between the two AW4s and extreme settings on the cable, but most others say the change is huge.

That said, I rarely use WOT, I drive like a granny, so that may be why I don't notice the difference?

Could you elaborate a bit more on your shifting and TC issues

I'm going to try this adjustment on my Jeep today

When the TC locks and unlocks it's very abrupt. It jars the whole truck.

I read recently read that about 50% is a good default place to try. Mine makes about 30% difference, between about 40% and 70% open depending on which method I use, partly because mine sticks I think in one method, but I have tried extremes of this on mine, on my 87, with the old and new transmission, and see little difference between the two AW4s and extreme settings on the cable, but most others say the change is huge.

That said, I rarely use WOT, I drive like a granny, so that may be why I don't notice the difference?

So, adjust the sheath to being stuck out half way?

I tried adjusting mine both ways and my end results were just like you had in your videos.
1 with the Sheath all the way in, and One with it sticking out about an inch.
I'm going to give it a spin with the sheath sticking out.

As Far as the TC Jaring the hole Truck, That's a bit over my head I know its electronicly controlled. But I'm guessing you could call a local tranny shop and they would plug it in to there scanner and drive it around for you. Might be able to get a better idea of whats going on.

When the TC locks and unlocks it's very abrupt. It jars the whole truck.

So, adjust the sheath to being stuck out half way?

That is what I would try. Then, If the rough shift is not gone, I would check the engine and transmission mounts and bolts.

If that fails, I would ask an expert if the TC could be bad, as I think the TC should have some sort of soft lock/unlock mechanism, like the springs in a manual clutch? Might also check the U-Joints just to thorough?

I'm not sure how people are adjusting their throttle cable then - because you can see mine doesn't adjust - it's either 0% out or 100% out.

I'll manually adjust it and see if I can get it smoothed out some. Thanks.

I'm not sure how people are adjusting their throttle cable then - because you can see mine doesn't adjust - it's either 0% out or 100% out.

I have wondered for some time if the lifts are not changing the adjustment needed. Mine are all stock, but mine are also a bit sticky at the plastic/plastic sheath location. When I hold the button down and do WOT mine does not adjust to the same spot each time.

OK Just tested my Heap.

Its shifting harder, but I have a brand new rebuilt trans I paid 2 grand for so harder shifting doesn't bother me.

The power gained from having that sheath out is ridiculous.
My Jeep feels 15 years younger.

I did notice what felt like it was having issues going from 2-3 almost like it was slipping but it has been parked for the last 6 months. I'm going to check my fluid levels

Sounds to me like the plastic sheath is just gummed up with road dirt or something. If you have having trouble adjusting it, hose it down with wd-40 or similar and run it in and out a few times by hand, see if that makes it operate more smoothly, then readjust it.

How far out should the Conduit stick out when properly adjusted
Like many people I don't believe mine is adjusting properly.

2010-03-10_011517_Throttle_Cable_Components.gif

Mine was sticking and would either:
1) pull all the way out when it did let go
2) not come out far enough because it was sticking/binding and I didnt want to break anything.

What I did was adjusted it all the way out and then bit by bit back in (away from TB) until I could just open to WOT and that was right around 50%. If you go too far back in, you won't be able to open all the way to WOT. It took a little bit of trial and error, but you should be able to find that sweet spot.

reviving this from the dead, read somewhere that to properly do it(haynes?) that you are suppose to push the button in hold, while holding it down push in the conduit, then while still holding the button down, have some one push on the gas pedal all the way down as far as it can go, while holding the gas pedal down, release button. so hopefully that clears all that up and any confusion.

now the issue I'm having is that when I do mine, I dont hear ratcheting at all, is just slides out so I have a feeling that its stripped maybe? any thoughts on that? if so, this can be replaced right?

now the issue I'm having is that when I do mine, I dont hear ratcheting at all, is just slides out so I have a feeling that its stripped maybe? any thoughts on that? if so, this can be replaced right?

try moving the "conduit" in gently once it's adjusted-- if it seems to stay in place, it's not stripped. They don't always "ratchet" into place.

Did this on my 2000 that I swapped in a 2001 motor and was having shifting issues.
It fixed my shifting issues and not the jeep shifts fine. I lost my WOT as it only goes to about 1/2 but will readjust the cable when my wife gets home and see if me holding the button white WOT then relase then left off throttle helps.

Back