• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone that hasn't adjusted their Throttle Valve cable do it. WOW.

Re: Anyone that hasn't adjusted there Throttle Valve cable do it. WOW.

So I posted on here months ago about my Transmission acting weird. In 1-2 selection it would stay in first and not shift to 2nd. In 3 selection it would shift into 4th gear instead of stopping at 3rd. In OD it would shift into OD at like 35 and would have to almost floor it to get it out of OD.

Anyways I never got any clear answers on why it would do that. I did some searching and came across a posting on adjusting the TV Cable(Throttle Valve). So today opened the hood took 2 seconds and it was done. Drove it around the block and WOW night and day. 1-2 works 3 works and it doesn't stay in OD. Push on the pedal just a little and it smoothly shifts down.

So anyone that hasn't checked/adjusted the cable or anyone that is having weird tranny problems Adjust that cable first.

How to from Alldata:

1. Shift transmission into Park, shut engine off and raise hood.

l_212e9a7c94354546b75bf28aac139153.gif

2. Press cable release button.

l_0d370ca4a04c48888b834510cc3529a2.gif

3.Push cable conduit back into cable sheath as far as possible.
4.Rotate lever on throttle body to wide open throttle position. Cable will ratchet to correct adjustment point as lever is rotated.
Super easy and worth checking. Sorry if this is in the wrong area.

Help..... When I checked mine the conduit was already pushed all the way in. I pushed the button and pulled it out to see if there was any movement. Then I pushed it back in, released the button, and went to full throttle. Looked at it and no change. It is still pushed all the way in..... Am I doing something wrong?

in the original directions, there should be a number 3.5 and a number 5--

3.5) do not release button
5.) now release button

If you release the button, it will have to fight the built-in lock to pull the cable

Honestly, once you find the cable adjuster underneath the air cleaner, its really just common sense stuff.

If your cable is already well adjusted, then naturally it will make no difference. However, as evidenced above, there were several of us whose cables weren't in adjustment.

Steve.

'99 XJ, 4.0, AW4.

Thought I would add my two cents...

I performed the adjustment as stated and this is what I found:

Before making the adjustment I hooked up my scanner to check the TPS outputs. With Key On/Engine Off, I moved throttle from Idle to WOT slowly to see what my max throttle plate opening (in %) would show on the scanner. It's hard to see in the pic but the PCM TPS reading is 93.7% and the TCM TPS reading is 76.0%

After the adjustment the PCM TPS reading was 98.8% and the TCM TPS reading was 78.8% (no pic). The adjustment actually changed the WOT throttle plate position that much. I didn't have any transmission shifting problems before the adjust and didn't see any changes after the adjustment.

Note: There may have been a change in the cable setting induced when I disconnected all the control cables at the Thottle Body to change my injectors and rail.

TPSActuationingThrottle.jpg

Just adjusted mine today, made a very noticeable difference in the shifting. Be sure to check this!

Did mine a little bit ago and if I am measuring correctly mine was off my almost an inch. I haven't driven it yet as I'm still at work, but really hope it makes a difference. Shifting into OD in 3rd was really starting to get annoying.

It takes like 5 minutes... skip breakfast and do it before work some day.

tried this on my buddies guess I'll have to reread and join the dumb crowd.
tried it and the black part came back out just as far as it was roughly.. Maybe it was already in adjustment I suppose..

When I get home I'll reread and try on my 01 I think this time I'm going to measure how far it was when it started
I have a strong feeling I'm making it way more complicated than it is. (no surprise)
I feel like

edit: my buddy just called he seems to think it did adjust it but not by much . His was responsive and shifted nice anyway..

Last edited:

If you continue to hold it as you rotate the throttle the conduit will come out. Release the button after you push the conduit in then rotate like the original post.

I'm a little confused about this, probably because I've never had any tranny problems.

But I do know that pulling the cable out increases line pressure sooner in the throttle position so you get faster firmer shifts at lower rpm's. The only problem is that it also limits how far you can push the throttle down without pulling the sheath back out and therefore resetting the line pressure back down to slower, smoother shifts.

But if you disconnect the cable from the throttle body linkage you can pull it out as far as it will go then clamp it so it stays there then you can have faster firmer shifts and still be able to go full throttle.

Or maybe that's what this entire thread is about :dunno:

Krawler:
I did let go of the button after i pushed the conduit back in..
when i pulled it to WOT it didnt want to move but with more pressure it popped a coupl times as it was pushed to wot.. each pop the conduit came out a bit more and ended up looking about the same but mebbe it didnt need adjusted anyway..

im gonna try it again on mine (wich does feel sluggish) but its on stock gears and 31 10.50's so i allways figured that was why

Krawler:
I did let go of the button after i pushed the conduit back in..
when i pulled it to WOT it didnt want to move but with more pressure it popped a coupl times as it was pushed to wot.. each pop the conduit came out a bit more and ended up looking about the same but mebbe it didnt need adjusted anyway..

im gonna try it again on mine (wich does feel sluggish) but its on stock gears and 31 10.50's so i allways figured that was why

Mine also has stock gears with 33's (hopefully changed soon) it is sluggish on hills but on a flat road it does fine. When I adjusted mine it clicked once at WOT. Mine was alittle bit out 1/4" or so, now its up in the cable.

adusting the cable is not gonna help with your jeep being sluggish on hills (with 33's and stock gears). re-gear the axles.

adusting the cable is not gonna help with your jeep being sluggish on hills (with 33's and stock gears). re-gear the axles.

Yes I know this. I never said it would. It did help with the shifting though (passing gear) I dont have to put it to the floor now.

Is this for ALL cherokees made in this year range? I have an 89 and it's in 3rd by the time I'm doing 35 and same deal. Won't down shift on a hill.

I attempted this but there is no cable going from the throttle body to the transmission. I see some sort of bracket that looks like this would be used and looks similar to the pics but no sign of a cable. I also can't find a place where the cable would hook up to the tranny.

Could I have a different model transmission? I would think it would be my TPS or TCU.

Anyone?

My 88 has it - it's behind the throttle body instead of in front of it.

The cable connects to the transmission about halfway along the housing, on the driver side, from the top. It's near the shift cable linkage and electrical cables. Should go across the rear half of the valve cover. If you don't have one, it explains the transmission shifting funny... someone probably broke it and stuffed it somewhere or something.

Is this for ALL cherokees made in this year range? I have an 89 and it's in 3rd by the time I'm doing 35 and same deal. Won't down shift on a hill.

I attempted this but there is no cable going from the throttle body to the transmission. I see some sort of bracket that looks like this would be used and looks similar to the pics but no sign of a cable. I also can't find a place where the cable would hook up to the tranny.

Could I have a different model transmission? I would think it would be my TPS or TCU.

Anyone?

Adjusting the throttle cable will only adjust the firmness of the shifting, not when it shifts (although way out of whack and it might not shift at all or very slowly). Your problem is a bad TPS sensor.

On an 89, the TPS mounting holes are slotted so you have some room to adjust the sensor, but not enough to compensation for what you describe.

Just adjusted the throttle cable, replaced my fuel filter (pretty sure it was the stock equipped part, on my '95 4.0), and installed a new air filter and cut out the front and center of the bottom of my airbox. Hate all you want, I've done that on several of my vehicles now and it does help with mpg and a little bit of hp. Those three things woke my Jeep up! Good post for this thread!

Back