• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone near Fredericksburg/Richmond VA?

notamos

NAXJA Forum User
I need some help w/ my dad's 231 transfer case & was wondering if somebody LOCAL could help them/me out.

Basically - I built a 231 here in CO and mailed it to him for use in his Dakota ('99 or '00). The linkage was put on backwards & needs to be flipped. I'm wondering if one of you dudes could do this for him as he's had surgery recently and can't crawl around under it.

Should be quick & easy. PM me.

Did you get any response on this? I'm not sure who is local to that area.

A couple of is in Va Beach would likely be the closest. I'm staying in our beach house in Duck, NC right now so if he comes down for an off season vacation, I'll happily fix it for him. Otherwise, I don't see my self up that way until we move and then need to hit up Ikea in Reston. That's a couple months away.

Nothing yet. He's not in a huge hurry though. A local mechanic installed the transfer case/linkage/driveshafts but "lost" the correct linkage and put something else in. The small (1"x3" or so) piece that bolts to the case is obviously upside down as the lever inside is opposite of reality. Lol.

In case you are wondering, my mom didn't take it back as she feels bad for the old man who did it wrong!

Nothing yet. He's not in a huge hurry though. A local mechanic installed the transfer case/linkage/driveshafts but "lost" the correct linkage and put something else in. The small (1"x3" or so) piece that bolts to the case is obviously upside down as the lever inside is opposite of reality. Lol.

In case you are wondering, my mom didn't take it back as she feels bad for the old man who did it wrong!

Wrangler 231's had the shifter tab on the t case at a different angle and up instead of down. I know Nick is in that area and is a good guy and would probably help if he had the time.

The tcase is out of my 99 XJ. He blew his up (grenaded on the highway) and lost a few pieces. Might be what happened. Even if somebody could crawl under, disconnect the rod from the shifter and flip it into 2wd - that'd be fine.

Bumping this....

I went up this weekend and tried to "fix" this problem for Robert and his parents. No dice. Apparently, Dodge changed the shift patterns on their TC's between gen 1 and gen 2 Dakotas, and the 231J doesn't play happy with the Dakota shift linkage (or at least what the mechanic friend put under there LOL). Shift pattern is 4LO-N-2HI-4HI. If 2HI and 4HI were reversed it would be just like a "regular" case but reversed and I probably coulda rigged up the linkage to shift backwards, but.... I got the case into 2HI for the time being, even thought the bezel says it's in 4LO:roll:, so the vehicle is usable now. Just no 4WD.

Anyone else local-ish have a second generation 231D available to swap in? I can do the swap in the driveway for them, I just don't have a dodge case to do it with.

Jeff

Last edited:
Bumping this....

I went up this weekend and tried to "fix" this problem for Robert and his parents. No dice. Apparently, Dodge changed the shift patterns on their TC's between gen 1 and gen 2 Dakotas, and the 231J doesn't play happy with the Dakota shift linkage (or at least what the mechanic friend put under there LOL). Shift pattern is 4LO-N-2HI-4HI. If 2HI and 4HI were reversed it would be just like a "regular" case but reversed and I probably coulda rigged up the linkage to shift backwards, but.... I got the case into 2HI for the time being, even thought the bezel says it's in 4LO:roll:, so the vehicle is usable now. Just no 4WD.

Anyone else local-ish have a second generation 231D available to swap in? I can do the swap in the driveway for them, I just don't have a dodge case to do it with.

Jeff

Just saw this. That is a bummer about the case. I have scanned craigslist a few times and there appears to be a lot of tcases for sale. Also Foss U Pull it is having a 50% off sale on march 10-11. I know they have a ton of dakotas sitting in the lot up there. Not sure if I would have time to pull a dakota tcase but I thought I would throw that information out there.

I wouldn't mind lending a hand with the tcase swap if that is what it all came down to.

Nick

Back