• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone have a pop-up tent trailer?

Nice Joe!! I dont think you know my DD, but you cut me off on the loop yesterday.. i thought about calling you, but those NAXJA stickers were moving fast! :)

You are so stoked. I have wanted a pop up camper for the longest time.

Ray H said:
Can you say "weight distribution"

Actually, somebody's son (who shall remain nameless) pulled it into the sand with his 2wd Yukon at low tide. I only backed the thing up ~60 feet to the hard sand. I was surprised that the soft springs held the tongue up as much as it did. We didn't load the bikes up until I had it out.

It is surprising the front isnt floating more than it is. The tongue weight on that has to be around 400 lbs.

Bent said:
C001I078-2.jpg

It's level.

:D

Yeah, definately a weight distributing hitch would be of benefit to you. It will keep your trailer level and also your XJ level too. You may need some kind of drop hitch with that setup too, being lifted and all. Sway control with that will also be a benefit as you have a smaller wheel base compared to the huge trailer. Check out www.equalizerhitch.com. Or others at www.etrailer.com

By the way, your jeep looks great!

Congrats on the JAYCO. I looked at those before I bought mine. We have a Starcraft 13RT. It is heavy when completly loaded with water and stuff but it is awesome! It weighs 4300 with 36 gallons of water and all the rest of our junk in it and on the deck. The biggest reason I went with the 13 RT is because of the slide on it.

100_1367.jpg

100_1366.jpg

I was looking at the 13 and if I remember right you couldn't get a shower cabinet with that one. Didn't make much sense to make a bigger trailer and then drop the pooper.

I keep thinking about getting one, but I'd much rather have a soild sided trailer, the sandstorms at glamis are not kind to popups

IslanderOffRoad said:
I keep thinking about getting one, but I'd much rather have a soild sided trailer, the sandstorms at glamis are not kind to popups

man you aint kidding.... ive seen so many of those things shredded its not even funny anymore...

DrMoab said:
I was looking at the 13 and if I remember right you couldn't get a shower cabinet with that one. Didn't make much sense to make a bigger trailer and then drop the pooper.

I have a shower and pooper in mine. If you look you can also see the utility shower on the outside. They can be had either way. You just have to order it.

shelbyluvv said:
I have a shower and pooper in mine. If you look you can also see the utility shower on the outside. They can be had either way. You just have to order it.
I notice you have a Grand in front of it. Ever pull it with the XJ?

Ive towed one me and some friends share with my rig back when it was stock. They are very light weight, and perty easy to tow. Its older, but well worth having. Super easy to setup and quite roomy for how small they are. You can see the size of the trailer itself compaired to the Jeep.

100_0729.jpg

Bringing this back from the dead cause i just got a pop up just like this one pitcured. Did yours have brakes? If not, could you even tell it was back there while towing? Did yours also have the 4 pin plug? If so, how did you wire it up to the XJ's Tow package plug?

thanks!

Bringing this back from the dead cause i just got a pop up just like this one pitcured. Did yours have brakes? If not, could you even tell it was back there while towing? Did yours also have the 4 pin plug? If so, how did you wire it up to the XJ's Tow package plug?

thanks!

Most trailers that small dont have brakes.You can buy an adapter to go from 7 pin to 4 pin.
47345_tn.jpg

Just realized that mine has a 6 pin round plug. Im gonna work on it today to clean it up and go through it.

How much would it cost to add trailer brakes to a pop up if it doesnt come with any? Traveling from Virginia to Michigan I have quite a few mountains and city driving and it would be nice to have brakes on.

Back