• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone have a flat fender?

XJ-ARNIE

NAXJA Forum User
I'm considering a daily driver build on an old 47' that I can get for a song. Anyone have anything like this? Popular swaps? I was just thinking a 2.5/ax5(or 15)/231 with the 30/35. Just some thing drive back and forth to work in.

Suggestions?

I had a CJ 2A in the early 80s back then the popular swap was a 2000 pinto motor. JCWhitney will be your friend. Plan on regearing, they have a stupid low gear, like 5.50:1 or something.

How skinny are they? Is narrowing the 30/35 an option? I narrowed the 60 in the front of my xj 5 inches. A pinto engine. I'll bet it was a good time though. Got any pictures?

Go to the willys section on pirate and read. The recipes are there for what fits and what doesn't. There's a ton of issues in a flattie's engine compartment and for transmission fitment, transfer cases, axles, etc. Those guys have dd flatties and know what works and what doesn't.

There's accessories to think about, how you're going to fit the steering, are you going to stretch the frame, etc. No sense in reinventing the wheel when the wheel has been refined for the last 60 years.

Those things are all on my list to think about. Thanks for the input. Id like to do it and plaster my company name on it and drive it back and forth to the shop. I'll check out pirate. Thanks guys. I figured I'd do this kind of homework before I spend any $$. Uncle same takes most of it anyway.

There's nothing saying to can't break out and do something different. It just really depends on how much you want to invent and fabricate. I'd love an ecotec 4 with a Saturn ion bell housing in a flattie.

But if you want to get it on the road, there's lots of combinations that have already been figured out. Even the v8 swaps. Those guys on pirate know a ton more than we do about what works and what part numbers work, etc.

I'd still like to see what you come up with.

I have a line on a cheap yj that the frame is solid in. That was a thought too. There's so many ways to go about it. Fabrication isn't any issue. At any rate, I'll be sure and get you guys some pictures of it when I go get it. Supposedly it still has the 1947 snow plow and everything. I'd like to use it to.plow my parking lot. I'm a huge fan of the AMC 150. I'm gonna use that for sure. The only other engine I'd consider is a Ford 2.3. Rangers are everywhere.

Got a buddy that is rebuilding an old flattie that his dad gave him. He is actually gonna pull the original motor out and swap in a 3.4L v6 out of an olds cutlass. Gonna be a cool little ride on 33's when he is done with it.

I think they are neat little rigs to just restore and cruise around town in.

I was doing some reading on the topic. Seems that t19 trans fits nice and can easily be adapted to the both the 2.5L and the dana transfer case, plus I get a pretty low first gear. Bonus, I already have the t19. Now I just need to find the 2.5L and axles. I'd prefer the 96+ version of it, for obd2 sake anyway.

does anyone have any experience with the Borg Warner T19? I had a f350 with this trans and it had a crazy low first, but the trans was solid as a rock. I've never adapted one of these, has anyone done this?

As for the Dana 18 t-case, have any of you ran this case? what are you experiences?

thanks

I've been working on a 1966 CJ5, short fender, narrow frame. I built a frame from scratch out of 2x4 steel tube. The plan is XJ axles, YJ leafs, rear case from 231J, front case of 231c.

Motor and trans are out of a 95 GMC Jimmy 4.3 vortec with a 4l60e trans.

It will be the wife's trail rig and once done I will begin my next trail rig.

Frame build went well, to be honest, I've taken a lot of cues from the Project: Ground Up build that FourWheel Mag did a while ago... Loads of pictures, somewhere around here... Currently working on getting the axles situated under the frame, then I'll mount the body so I know where to locate the engine/transmission. Body will come off and get completely refinished.

hey you have to get ideas from somewhere. cant just drink beer and think about building a frame...somewhere along the line is has to be built

You sir are correct, this is my first ever complete build up of a project vehicle, trying not to do it more than once...

If your lucky, look for a newer 2.5 XJ and use all the drivetrain if your wanting a 2.5, with the correct bellhousing you can 'bolt in' an ecotech...

The ecotec engines are nice. There's also a lot of other modern OHC setups and great 4cyl engines that could easily be adapted and work very well. A few things draw me to the 2.5 AMC work horse of a four banger. Number one is personal preference, and number 2 is price. The 150 AMC routinely sells at the junk yard for $1 per cube and probably half that during the clean-up sales. They make good torque, there are some hop up options and they get decent fuel economy doing it.

They're heavy cast iron lugs. Now, you're replacing a heavy cast iron lug, so there's no issues there, but those aluminum jobbies are lightweight and powerful.

Back