• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody Run Green Diamond Icelander's?

Agree with you about the Wranglers and GSA. I was very unimpressed with them, both performance and durabilty. I did like the MT/R's very much as an all around compromise for a 'serious' off road tire. For what they are, they are surpisingly good. But it's the only GY I feel is worth the money.

--Tom

Bookmarked for possible future tires. It sounds like they're a good deal, but at the same time, if one of the decides to untread it's probably going to take out some other stuff with it.

The Icelander Tires found here... http://www.greendiamondtire.com/index.html are not retreds. They do use a special rubber compound with "silicium carbide granules" mixed into the rubber. They do have a tire that looks very much like the Geolander and seem to be about the same price.

The Tredwright tires found here
http://treadwright.com/default.aspx are retread and are avalible with the same 'Green Diamond' rubber compund as the Icelander tires moulded onto used casing. They do not offer a tire that looks like the Geolander, and their MT's go for about half the price of either the Geolanders or the Icelanders.

--Tom

Actaully they are retreads...it even used the word remolded in blue letters. They use old tire carcases but in their molding they put their company on the sidewall rather than just leaving what tire it was made off of there. So it it a retreading of an old tire just a more sophisticated one than treadwright

ok you all know re treads can come off at anytime right.....not something id want happening going down the road at 65 mph...

Nomercy said:
ok you all know re treads can come off at anytime right.....not something id want happening going down the road at 65 mph...

You do know that the most common tires that leave all the rubber chunks on the road are NOT retreads right. The main cause of that is not watching the condition of your tires(any style tires). Think about this would the transportation industries use recaps if thery were unsafe. Most if not all 18 wheelers and there trailers use recaps, think of the stress/weight they handle. Fire depts, forrest trucks(whether it be industrial or law enforcement), buses(public is on them almost 24/7), most US military trucks (from what I have seen and told by enlisted persons), all these are examples of applications were it is needed to had a strong and reliable tire. Think of the loads that are put on these in these applications. Exept for airing down they put the recaps through more than we ever would. Just my .02 take it as you may

all of the vehicles you just mentioned have dual wheels and tandem axles. and those vehicles dont use retreads on the steering axle...because the retreads come apart and that would be a bad thing having a blow out on steering axle on an 80,000 lb vehicle... having a retred blow out on a rear drive axle with dual wheels or a trailer tire isnt that big a deal just a lil vibe and your ok. but on something that has only 4 tires, and 2 of those are on the steering axle its just not a good combo imo. and i dont know where your from but 90% of the rubber chunks i see on the road are retread caps. not to mention the dozens of tractor trailers ive seen running around with a cap starting to come off. All im saying is i dont think that re caps are a good idea on a street driven vehicle, off road only sure.

I drove an 18 wheeler for 6 years and over 500,000 miles. I had two tires come apart on me durring that time. One was a drivers side steer axle, and one was a passenger side rear drive axle. I also had probably a dozen or so flats for various reasons all on retreds and never had one fail.

The front tire with less than 10k miles from brand new failed for unknown reasons. The drive axle tire failed because it picked up a 6" long bolt from the road. Im pretty certain that it wouldn't matter how the tire was made in that case.

Just my personal experience. YMMV

--Tom

I had a new tire come apart on the driver's side front of my XJ. It was a little old, on the Jeep when I bought it, but it wasn't a retread. Tread separated, salp the snot out of the fenderwell, I pulled over, cut off a piece of flare since it had been sucked into the tires rotation, put the spare on and drove home. The bad tire still held its air though...I've run retreads on my old Tracker, no problems with them. They were used retreads though and I only got another 10k out of em...

They are definately worth every penny. Thye are loud but not bad mine are 235's. The shop that mounted mine was like "why did you buy re-treads" until they balanced one with no weight. For 50 bucks a tire i figured ahh what the hell. 1500 miles not a single problem

here is a pic. yes it rubs

Picture100.jpg

Last edited:
Nomercy said:

put a set on your jeep and you will change your mind. BTW any tire can come apart at anytime. If you watch the PSI and keep them rotated and balanced it should be fine. most tires blow out from debris on the road:cheers:

Back